U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:25 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,357,702 times

Advertisements

Anyone have problems with ticks in Arizona? I'm hoping it won't be as bad there as it is here. My dog and I both have have chronic diseases caused by ticks, and the ticks are so bad where I live that we stay inside most of the spring and summer. This past year was the worst until the drought hit. Even with repellent on me and Frontline on the dog, spraying the yard, only going outside long enough for the dog to do his business or me going to the car, and getting rid of any tall grass and brush in the yard, we still managed to get oodles of ticks on us. Someone told me that there are few ticks in Arizona. Is that true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 08:01 AM

17 posts, read 69,921 times
I will be studying at the U of A this January and after reading all your posts about critters in Tucson I am completely TERRIFIED. Now don't get me wrong if I see a snake outside my house or a scorpion or whatever I will smash its head but knowing that that filthy scorpion touched my pillow or whatever... It just makes me wanna sink in a tub full of chlorine. I am not afraid of them I am just disgusted by their looks and how filthy they are.

I want to know the situation in the dorms of the U of A and possibly the housing area around it... I will probably stay in the dorms during my freshman year and then move out to an apartment near that area. I have read posts where people stress that critters can be found in the outskirts of the city and not so much inside the city... let alone the central part of it. I mean how can you find rattlesnakes in a urban setting?

Really guys your posts almost changed my opinion about U of A and now I am considering UCSD.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 74,896,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellah View Post
I will be studying at the U of A this January and after reading all your posts about critters in Tucson I am completely TERRIFIED. Now don't get me wrong if I see a snake outside my house or a scorpion or whatever I will smash its head but knowing that that filthy scorpion touched my pillow or whatever... It just makes me wanna sink in a tub full of chlorine. I am not afraid of them I am just disgusted by their looks and how filthy they are.
That is COMPLETE IGNORANCE. Scorpions are NOT filthy, what on earth makes you think that? You, as a human, are FAR filthier than a scorpion. You should educate yourself before you make statements like that. If anything, scorpions should be disgusted by humans and our germ-havin, disease-spreading selves. Scorpions carry no diseases. Scorpions and snakes kill animals that do in fact carry diseases (ie rodents, cockroaches, etc). Killing them out of ignorance not only makes you look foolish, but also increases your chances of having actual "filthy" creatures around.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 PM

17 posts, read 69,921 times
Steve this is how I feel and whether I'm filthy or not won't affect you since I won't be using your bed or your couch. Thanks for answering my question

Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 80,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellah View Post
Steve this is how I feel and whether I'm filthy or not won't affect you since I won't be using your bed or your couch. Thanks for answering my question
Yeah, I agree, that last response was interesting...but anyway, I would say that Tucson, because of its typically dry weather, is generally less prone to certain types of critter infestation than other wetter parts of the country. I'm sure you hear all kinds of stories about snakes and scorpions, but that's mostly in the mountains and deserts. In the city you'll occasionally deal with the usual problems, like ants, small spiders, and sometimes cockroaches. So if you came to U of A, which is in the middle of a residential area, you probably wouldn't have much to worry about. However, I can't blame you for considering UC San Diego, it's a beautiful campus in a beautiful city (that hopefully hasn't burned to the ground by now, but you know what I mean).

Last edited by wildcat2004; 10-30-2007 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 PM

42 posts, read 142,331 times
Default Scorpions

I live on the east side of Tucson and have seen rattlesnakes , black bears, lots of Scorpions !!! the "bark scorpion " the poisonous ones. You shouldnt move here unless you want tp see this stuff every day.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,808 times
Default Scorpions in Northeast ?

What about Oro Valley.......are they in the houses there?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkj123 View Post
I live on the east side of Tucson and have seen rattlesnakes , black bears, lots of Scorpions !!! the "bark scorpion " the poisonous ones. You shouldnt move here unless you want tp see this stuff every day.
First off, scorpions are not poisonous, theyre venomous. Secondly, ALL of them are venomous, with the bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda) being the most potent of them all.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Here is a little page I created about scorpions, in case anyone is interested...

//www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...scorpions.html

Old 11-12-2007, 01:26 PM

42,835 posts, read 85,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First off, scorpions are not poisonous, theyre venomous.
What's the difference? I see you're a big-time expert on these creatures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson