Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 AM

83 posts, read 476,194 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing anecdotes about hundreds of rattlesnakes, gila monsters, and other "critters" being found in homes and yards in Tucson every year, especially in outlying and newer areas. I have done a Google search and found little, if anything, about this. What is the real skinny? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 02:49 PM

434 posts, read 3,178,282 times
Used to live in Tucson and was pretty active outdoors. The only place that I saw rattlesnakes on a regular basis was on some of the less traveled side streets on the outskirts of town. They would be stretched out across the road in the early morning to get the sun. Never saw a scorpian, saw lots of coyotes, lots of javelinas and saw one gila monster walking across a driveway.

The one encounter that I had with a rattlesnake was when I was at a friend's house and he opened the door to let me out. There, curled up on the welcome mat, was a rattlesnake trying to warm up. Needless to say he got mad that I tried to step on him and started hissing. After a few minutes he slithered away.

Honestly, there is not much to worry about. It's very rare to encounter anything unless you are looking for it.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Trying to step on a rattlesnake is just mean and flat out stupid. Thats how 95% of people get bitten.

I am an avid amateur arachnologist, so Ill try and explain in a short amount of time.

Arizona is home to more than 40 species of scorpions, only one of those species is potentially lethal, and that is the Arizona bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda). Unfortunately, theyre the most common and are also arboreal (climbers), so there is really nowhere they cant hide. AZ is also home to the largest scorpion in North America, the Arizona desert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis). Large and menacing looking indeed, but harmless as a bee (unless youre allergic to bee stings). It is very important to remember that scorpions and spiders are very beneficial to keeping insect popultaions under control. Not only do they eat lots of other pests, but one of thier favorite meals is a disease-spreading cockroach. Stings from most scorpions are nothing more than localized pain and slight swelling. The AZ bark scorpion has killed quite a few folks, but after ASU's anti-venom program was started, deaths have not occurred. However, the lady in charge of the AV program has since retired and the state has only a 3 year supply as of now, and is working with the USDA in securing some more AV, this time from a Mexican firm. Without AV, the death rate would rise substantially. In fact, last time I was in AZ, I picked up a Desert Advocate newspaper, and a 4 year old from Tramanto (sp?) almost died from a bark scorpion sting. Theyre no joke and should be taken seriously. Elderly and infants are most at risk for dying due to anaphlyaxis.

Also in AZ are 40 species of rattlesnakes, the most common is the large Crotalus atrox (western diamondback). Western black widows (Latrodectus mactans) also call the state home as do tarantulas (harmless, but big).

If you have any more questions and would like to see some pics of mine that can illustrate these critters a bit more, let me know and I will help. Please dont rush to kill these critters. The more research you do, the more youll realize how truly incredible they are. Just 3 years ago I was an arachnophobe, 100%. Now look at me! I own tarantulas, scorpions, snakes and giant centipedes as pets. Theyre very captivating and undeserving of their bad reps.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:04 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Default Side Question on these insect issues...

...since my boys are now in school out in Oro Valley and used to looking for fire ants, roaches, brown recluses, the widows, basic Florida bugs...I was wondering if they give them instruction in school about the scorpions, snakes, etc...?

Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
...since my boys are now in school out in Oro Valley and used to looking for fire ants, roaches, brown recluses, the widows, basic Florida bugs...I was wondering if they give them instruction in school about the scorpions, snakes, etc...?
Im sure they do to some extent. Things like "watch where you step, carry a flashlight at night, dont put your hands where you cant see them, check your shoes before putting them on, etc." Its basically common sense when you live in the desert for adults, but lots of kids get stung and bit because theyre carefree, ya know? And unfortunately, because of their small size and weaker immune systems, its the kids and elderly that pay the price 90% of the time.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:34 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I went through school in AZ, and my children did up thorugh 6th grade there. They never had any instruction about that kind of thing specifically in school that I can recall. However, it is generally "common knowledge," as mentioned by Steve. They have bits on the news from time to time and pamphlets and whatnot. There are programs at the public libraries to learn about that sort of thing. The parks often have Jr. Ranger programs where a ranger will teach you about that kind of thing hands-on too. One of my favorites was the nighttime scorpion one at Lake Pleasant. They would go through some safety things with the kids (and adults) as dusk was falling, showing them different kinds of scorpions (live, in cages.) Then they would issue everyone black lights and send them out on the trails to find some scorpions of their own. It was pretty neat.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 AM

Blacklighting is neat, but can be dangerous because thats the time of night when snakes are active too, and well, snakes dont flouresce. There is NOTHING creepier than combing the ground for scorpions and then seeing that undeniable shape lurking in the path. I love snakes to death, but it still creeps me out knowing that if I had taken another few steps, I might have gotten bit.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 AM

83 posts, read 476,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Trying to step on a rattlesnake is just mean and flat out stupid. Thats how 95% of people get bitten.

I am an avid amateur arachnologist, so Ill try and explain in a short amount of time.

Arizona is home to more than 40 species of scorpions, only one of those species is potentially lethal, and that is the Arizona bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda). Unfortunately, theyre the most common and are also arboreal (climbers), so there is really nowhere they cant hide. AZ is also home to the largest scorpion in North America, the Arizona desert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis). Large and menacing looking indeed, but harmless as a bee (unless youre allergic to bee stings). It is very important to remember that scorpions and spiders are very beneficial to keeping insect popultaions under control. Not only do they eat lots of other pests, but one of thier favorite meals is a disease-spreading cockroach. Stings from most scorpions are nothing more than localized pain and slight swelling. The AZ bark scorpion has killed quite a few folks, but after ASU's anti-venom program was started, deaths have not occurred. However, the lady in charge of the AV program has since retired and the state has only a 3 year supply as of now, and is working with the USDA in securing some more AV, this time from a Mexican firm. Without AV, the death rate would rise substantially. In fact, last time I was in AZ, I picked up a Desert Advocate newspaper, and a 4 year old from Tramanto (sp?) almost died from a bark scorpion sting. Theyre no joke and should be taken seriously. Elderly and infants are most at risk for dying due to anaphlyaxis.

Also in AZ are 40 species of rattlesnakes, the most common is the large Crotalus atrox (western diamondback). Western black widows (Latrodectus mactans) also call the state home as do tarantulas (harmless, but big).

If you have any more questions and would like to see some pics of mine that can illustrate these critters a bit more, let me know and I will help. Please dont rush to kill these critters. The more research you do, the more youll realize how truly incredible they are. Just 3 years ago I was an arachnophobe, 100%. Now look at me! I own tarantulas, scorpions, snakes and giant centipedes as pets. Theyre very captivating and undeserving of their bad reps.

Thanks for the informative reply. I was more concerned about the frequency with which these animals are encountered in and around homes in the Tucson metropolitan area. Do people often find them inside their homes, yards, swimming pools, etc? TIA!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 AM

Here are a few pics of my scorpions under blacklight. The best way to hunt for scorpions is by blacklight, but like I said, most critters in AZ are nocturnal and only scorpions flouresce, so while you can see scorpions nicely, snakes, gila monsters, centipedes and coyotes/cougars DONT glow, so be careful!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/a9bb574b.jpg (broken link)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/fe7913d5.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Blacklighting is neat, but can be dangerous because thats the time of night when snakes are active too, and well, snakes dont flouresce. There is NOTHING creepier than combing the ground for scorpions and then seeing that undeniable shape lurking in the path. I love snakes to death, but it still creeps me out knowing that if I had taken another few steps, I might have gotten bit.
That is why the rangers comb the area for snakes prior to turning the kids loose. I'm not an expert on it or anything, it is just something that the state does that we have had fun and learned things participating in over the years. They have more than a few programs like this, involving different sorts of critters at different times during the day and night, and the "seasons."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson