Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:03 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

My A/C went out the other night, and not knowing how long it'd be to get it fixed, I dashed over to Home Depot. Sorry: Out of Season, we don't carry them anymore this year. Then off to Wal-Mart: Out of Season, we don't carry them anymore.

Sheesh! That's right, the middle of September the temperature drops in Tucson to the 60's/70's during the day time, so why carry them?

I tried ordering a couple online from Wal-Mart (2-day delivery) and Holy Jesus! Verification Code? Password? Went thru that obstacle, and then? They wouldn't accept either of my credit cards! Maxed out? $9k more for that to happen! I called Wal-Mart's Customer Service Line (which can gray your hair very quickly or drive you to the nearest bar!) and I thought I could order them via telephone, and? You need to call your bank for us to authorize it!

So, I called Sears, none, and Best Buy! None! Only online, and do I want to go thru that torture again?

Just a few minutes ago I decided to give Sears a try, online, all went beautifully, until...…...they asked for the security code on my credit card, and it wouldn't take. Yikes!

Anyone know if there's a place, off-season , where you can buy an A/C off the shelf?

Last edited by tijlover; 09-26-2018 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 08:44 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
I bought a portable room A/C off of Craigslist a month ago - stands on the floor and vents via a plastic hose out the window. 12,000 BTU. Keeps one room quite cool. I don't need it anymore, so I'll sell it to you for $200 cold hard cash.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:12 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,338 times
Maybe Naughton's. Even if a unit is not in stock, you get the order placed in store with an actual person.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
I bought a portable room A/C off of Craigslist a month ago - stands on the floor and vents via a plastic hose out the window. 12,000 BTU. Keeps one room quite cool. I don't need it anymore, so I'll sell it to you for $200 cold hard cash.
I've seen those units with the hose leading out the window, my neighbor had one, but that's not what I'm looking for, it all looks like a big hassle to me.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Maybe Naughton's. Even if a unit is not in stock, you get the order placed in store with an actual person.
Naughton's is not too far away from me. They have some nasty reviews on Yelp, but I'll give them a call anyway.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:03 AM

499 posts, read 470,686 times
Try Lowes or Home Depot. Amazon is the easiest--there are plenty--but sounds like you have credit card issues.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:58 PM

I'd die from the heat before giving one dime to Jeff Bezos/Amazon!

I finally made a breakthrough with Wal-Mart and they should arrive by Oct. 2. I talked to a Board member of the association here, and I asked her what was the most popular brand of HVAC residents buy here and she tuned me into what's called DuctFree Mini-Splits. I googled it and those that have bought these systems praise them to the skies! And they're far more energy-efficient than HVAC units, you merely hang them on the wall. And I can also rid my trailer of the Heater as well. Perfect!

Old 09-28-2018, 04:29 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Www.genieac.com

Old 09-28-2018, 08:41 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
You realize that duct free mini-splits have a condensing unit that goes outside and there refrigerant lines and wiring that needs to be connected for it to work?

These are a very nice thing for someone that cannot easily add central air but they still are work to install. The top piece mounts on the wall and the bottom piece gets mounted outside. Some need to be evacuated and charged after installation and some are pre-charged and the lines have piercing couplings so you don't need to evacuate and charge. But you still need to run a new circuit on a separate circuit breaker.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:49 AM

Yes, I'm well aware they're not easy to install, and must be done professionally. Most of the time when people even have problems with their HVAC units is they weren't installed properly. And I'm sure it's the same with these mini-splits. But I'm willing to pay whatever to get it done. The A/C repair man, before he left, after putting 3 pounds of Freon into my 1996 unit, wrote me up 3 estimates for 3 different HVAC units, the cheapest being $6.3k for a Goldman and $6.6k for a Lennox. And I'm sure the price of the mini-split(s) and installation will be less than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: