U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 936 times

Advertisements

Hey Ken! My parents live in J6 too and I lived with them for years.

I agree with everyone that's replied. The commute isn't too bad once you get used to it since it's all highway. I used to work at Banner and the commute from J6 Ranch Rd to the Kino exits was shorter in time than going the small distance in town! No lie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 03:19 PM

20,462 posts, read 24,600,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalWanderlust View Post
Hey Ken! My parents live in J6 too and I lived with them for years.

I agree with everyone that's replied. The commute isn't too bad once you get used to it since it's all highway. I used to work at Banner and the commute from J6 Ranch Rd to the Kino exits was shorter in time than going the small distance in town! No lie.
Yeah, that sounds pretty much right. I-10 into Tucson is USUALLY a pretty easy and relatively quick drive. The drive you mentioned to the Kino exits, is only about 30 minutes from my front door.

J-Six is TERRIFIC - Peaceful, quiet, safe, with tons of wildlife (we've had up to 30 deer on our acre at one time), FANTASTIC views and a terrific climate, reasonable prices, and generally short commutes to Benson (8 minutes), Tucson (downtown is 40 minutes away) or Sierra Vista (40 minutes or so). We LOVE J-Six.

Ken

Old 03-25-2019, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 6,218 times
Ken, I'm looking at J-Six and was wondering if you have good internet service, meaning, cable as opposed to satellite?

Thanks

Mark

Old 03-25-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearnut View Post
Ken, I'm looking at J-Six and was wondering if you have good internet service, meaning, cable as opposed to satellite?

Thanks

Mark
We have great high-speed internet via a nearby Wi-Fi tower - no cable. We have no problem even watching Netflix etc in 4K UHD. Costs me $79/month. We use satellite for TV but actually spend a LOT of time streaming Netflix.

Ken

Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
We have great high-speed internet via a nearby Wi-Fi tower - no cable. We have no problem even watching Netflix etc in 4K UHD. Costs me $79/month. We use satellite for TV but actually spend a LOT of time streaming Netflix.

Ken

Thank you for the reply. I would have never guessed WiFi ! Makes sense tho. I was taking a trip around the area using Google Earth and noticed all the utilities are under ground and was thinking it might be too costly to run cable to each lot- underground. That answers the question.

Have you ever ran a speed test to see what you actual download speeds are ? We, for example, have the minimum package sold by WideOpenWest which is 30 MB down and like 7 up. It runs pretty good serving 3 people who all have computers and can stream Youtube simultaneously. Although, I just received a Amazon Firestick and will be attempting to stream Sling TV on TOP of our normal usage. So, I might need to upgrade to their next tier which is 100 MB.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. $79 a month is certainly reasonable.

Mark

Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I would have never guessed WiFi ! Makes sense tho. I was taking a trip around the area using Google Earth and noticed all the utilities are under ground and was thinking it might be too costly to run cable to each lot- underground. That answers the question.

Have you ever ran a speed test to see what you actual download speeds are ? We, for example, have the minimum package sold by WideOpenWest which is 30 MB down and like 7 up. It runs pretty good serving 3 people who all have computers and can stream Youtube simultaneously. Although, I just received a Amazon Firestick and will be attempting to stream Sling TV on TOP of our normal usage. So, I might need to upgrade to their next tier which is 100 MB.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. $79 a month is certainly reasonable.

Mark
"Redhawk at J-Six" has underground utilities, but the other 2 (older) sections of J-Six do not. The Redhawk development is kind'a fancy - with an HOA, underground utilities, pricier, with Santa Fe style homes and 3 acre lots. It's upslope from the older section (up towards the end of J-Six Ranch Rd).

My Wi-fi gives me around 10-11 mbps download and 5 upload, which is plenty enough to stream large UHD Netflix movies with virtually no buffering. It's the top end of our outfits residential Wi-Fi services. We're pretty happy with it. My wife and I will often both be on our laptops while watching a a film. Keep in mind though that we don't tend to watch more than 1 film at a time and never watch films on our laptops - only our big TV (we hate little screens for movies), so when we are on the laptops while streaming a movie on TV we're usually just browsing the news or other general web surfing. Sounds like you'll probably need a bit more speed than we do.

Ken

Old 03-26-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Ken
Quote:
"Redhawk at J-Six" has underground utilities, but the other 2 (older) sections of J-Six do not. The Redhawk development is kind'a fancy - with an HOA, underground utilities, pricier, with Santa Fe style homes and 3 acre lots. It's upslope from the older section (up towards the end of J-Six Ranch Rd).

My Wi-fi gives me around 10-11 mbps download and 5 upload, which is plenty enough to stream large UHD Netflix movies with virtually no buffering. It's the top end of our outfits residential Wi-Fi services. We're pretty happy with it. My wife and I will often both be on our laptops while watching a a film. Keep in mind though that we don't tend to watch more than 1 film at a time and never watch films on our laptops - only our big TV (we hate little screens for movies), so when we are on the laptops while streaming a movie on TV we're usually just browsing the news or other general web surfing. Sounds like you'll probably need a bit more speed than we do.

Ken

Thank you !

Yes, I'm familiar with RedHawk. I didn't know it was under HOA . (I'd never live under an HOA)

When you say Red Hawk has underground utilities, how is it different from the 2 other areas of J-Six ? I assume your electric is underground ? (as there are no street poles) and I also assume you have natural gas ? (as I don't see propane tanks)

I appreciate your help more than I can tell you. The internet speeds are certainly a stumbling block as we have an autistic child (who's now 19) and Youtube is his haven when he's home from school. He has savant like characteristics when it comes to Youtube and video games. However, part of that is because we have 6 months of lousy weather and there isn't much to do in SE Michigan for a young guy. I'm very interested in hiking and 4 wheeling, something that your area will provide for on a much grander scale and perhaps I can get him out of the house more and the whole internet thing will become moot, or less of a concern. The other thing I suppose would be to buy 2 WiFi accounts - if they'd let me do that.

Mark

Old 03-26-2019, 01:29 PM

13,237 posts, read 9,463,811 times
Off topic but I just read a deal on J-6 that said that JFK and his brother Joe lived and worked on the J-6 when it was an actual ranch (1936). I never heard anything about that when I lived in Tucson.

I DID live in Tucson when they made Kartchner Caverns public (which is by J-6). Apparently it was discovered in 1974 but they didn't make it public until the late 1980s.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Off topic but I just read a deal on J-6 that said that JFK and his brother Joe lived and worked on the J-6 when it was an actual ranch (1936). I never heard anything about that when I lived in Tucson.

Yup. Their dad Joe Sr sent them there over summer break from college (to make them "men"). They both served as ranch hands there.

I DID live in Tucson when they made Kartchner Caverns public (which is by J-6). Apparently it was discovered in 1974 but they didn't make it public until the late 1980s.
Yeah it's a GREAT story, full of deception and intrigue.

Ken

Old 03-26-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you !

Yes, I'm familiar with RedHawk. I didn't know it was under HOA . (I'd never live under an HOA)

When you say Red Hawk has underground utilities, how is it different from the 2 other areas of J-Six ? I assume your electric is underground ? (as there are no street poles) and I also assume you have natural gas ? (as I don't see propane tanks)

I appreciate your help more than I can tell you. The internet speeds are certainly a stumbling block as we have an autistic child (who's now 19) and Youtube is his haven when he's home from school. He has savant like characteristics when it comes to Youtube and video games. However, part of that is because we have 6 months of lousy weather and there isn't much to do in SE Michigan for a young guy. I'm very interested in hiking and 4 wheeling, something that your area will provide for on a much grander scale and perhaps I can get him out of the house more and the whole internet thing will become moot, or less of a concern. The other thing I suppose would be to buy 2 WiFi accounts - if they'd let me do that.

Mark
Our electric is above ground on poles. They are there, so you may want to look again at google earth etc. We don't have natural gas on our street. We use propane for heat.

Glad to be of help.

Ken

PS - lived in Michigan when I was a kid for 3 years (Battle Creek/Fort Custer). I have lots of fond memories of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson