Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 58,318 times

Advertisements

I'm from Massachusetts and my inlaws want us to move in with them; they live on E-28th Street. Does anyone know about this area? Also I keep hearing that the school system in Tucson sucks and if we moved there, my daughter would be going to Corbette school. I'm so scared to make this big move, I've lived in New England my whole life. Thanks everyone (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula77 View Post
I'm from Massachusetts and my inlaws want us to move in with them; they live on E-28th Street. Does anyone know about this area? Also I keep hearing that the school system in Tucson sucks and if we moved there, my daughter would be going to Corbette school. I'm so scared to make this big move, I've lived in New England my whole life. Thanks everyone (:
This school is at 5949 East 29th Street, Tucson, AZ 85711. That's somewhere around Craycroft... You don't want your kid there! 29th St. is one of the most notorious streets in Tucson - drugs and gangs. It gets somewhat decent way East - say at about Harrison.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:12 AM

Would E-28th Street be considered the south side? My big concern is the schools and so far I've heard nothing but bad things about the school system. I think I'm going to hold off on the move and go and visit sometime in the fall. I love the school my daughter is in right now and I wont move on blind faith. Also I was disappointed about the job wages out there. I've been a CNA for 10 years and a home care agency wanted to start me off at almost 6 dollars an hr less than what I'm making now.

Thanks for all the info

Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,427 times
Quote:
Would E-28th Street be considered the south side? My big concern is the schools and so far I've heard nothing but bad things about the school system. I think I'm going to hold off on the move and go and visit sometime in the fall. I love the school my daughter is in right now and I wont move on blind faith. Also I was disappointed about the job wages out there. I've been a CNA for 10 years and a home care agency wanted to start me off at almost 6 dollars an hr less than what I'm making now.

Thanks for all the info
Hi Paula,

Craycroft/28th Street is probably considered part of Central Tucson; I've linked to a city map that shows the division lines in town. Right where the "C" is on the map is about where that intersection is (approximately).

Definitely take a look at the school system, here is a link to a previous post of mine that has some good links.

I would definitely recommend a visit to Tucson before moving if you can manage.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the info
I know I'll sound harsh to you, but I strongly feel you haven't done any homework (haven't even looked at a map of the city or school-rating sites, which are readily available and mentioned numerous times on this forum) and expect everything to be handed to you. People who think that strangers should have more interest in their own life than themselves just rub me the wrong way. If you ever looked at a map, you'd know Tucson is built on grid system and E 28th St runs through most of the city just like any other major artery like Speedway or Broadway. That's why I asked you about the cross street first.

Unlike Michael who's a realtor, I don't have to be PC and I'm telling you things as they are. It always amazes me how people from other places (not to mention more expensive place in your case) frown upon ALL schools as if the game is any different elsewhere. I haven't gone to school in this country and I don't have kids, but it's still perfectly clear to me that the quality of schools in the US almost perfectly overlaps with the price of real estate/rent and the income distribution. Why would it be a surprise to people who've spent their entire lives here is beyond me... You get exactly what you pay for! I didn't invent this system and I don't like or approve of it, but that's how it is. Tucson is a big city with the problems and poverty found in any bigger city. It's not some idyllic little cute town out of a fairy tale like Solvang, CA, let's say. The fairy tales here can be found in certain pockets. This means you either live in the smallest place you can afford and deprive yourself of many things if it's important to you to be in a good school district or you put up with the mediocre or bad ones. It's as simple as that.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I know I'll sound harsh to you, but I strongly feel you haven't done any homework (haven't even looked at a map of the city or school-rating sites, which are readily available and mentioned numerous times on this forum) and expect everything to be handed to you. People who think that strangers should have more interest in their own life than themselves just rub me the wrong way. If you ever looked at a map, you'd know Tucson is built on grid system and E 28th St runs through most of the city just like any other major artery like Speedway or Broadway. That's why I asked you about the cross street first.

Unlike Michael who's a realtor, I don't have to be PC and I'm telling you things as they are. It always amazes me how people from other places (not to mention more expensive place in your case) frown upon ALL schools as if the game is any different elsewhere. I haven't gone to school in this country and I don't have kids, but it's still perfectly clear to me that the quality of schools in the US almost perfectly overlaps with the price of real estate/rent and the income distribution. Why would it be a surprise to people who've spent their entire lives here is beyond me... You get exactly what you pay for! I didn't invent this system and I don't like or approve of it, but that's how it is. Tucson is a big city with the problems and poverty found in any bigger city. It's not some idyllic little cute town out of a fairy tale like Solvang, CA, let's say. The fairy tales here can be found in certain pockets. This means you either live in the smallest place you can afford and deprive yourself of many things if it's important to you to be in a good school district or you put up with the mediocre or bad ones. It's as simple as that.
Hey, now... don't sugar coat it. Say what you really mean.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
Hey, now... don't sugar coat it. Say what you really mean.
That would be considered a personal attack.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 PM

As a matter of fact SierraAZ I have looked at a map and I have checked school ratings that is why I'm using this forum to get a perpespective of people who actually live here. You don't have to be rude. You know nothing about me and I could care less what you think. I just wanted some information from people who have lived in that neighborhood or have kids who have gone to Corbette school.

Last edited by paula77; 04-11-2008 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
As a matter of fact SierraAZ I have looked at a map and I have checked school ratings that is why I'm using this forum to get a perpespective of people who actually live here. Thanks for your input and I'm sorry if you feel like I'm expressing too much of myself; I just can't beleive the difference thats all.
I'm sorry, but none of your questions made me believe you have any background knowledge... As far as the map, you really wouldn't ask if E 28th St was in South Tucson if you'd seen it runs from about I-10 all the way East. Granted, it skips and continues, but it runs through 4 zip codes, which you'd see if you try to get a map! And I'm sure you know your folks' address. Technically everything South of Broadway is considered South, but the City of South Tucson is a separate and very unpleasant entity, so this school is not there. In this particular stretch anything South of 22nd is not very desirable. And if you have any doubts I exagerate things about 29th St, look up the 29th St Coalition here: http://www.coalitioninstitute.org/Ev...ey/Arizona.pdf

Weed and Seed is a program sponsored by the
Development Office of the Department of Justice.
foremost a strategy—rather than a grant program—
control, and reduce violent crime, drug abuse, and
high-crime neighborhoods across the country.

If you'd checked the districts, you'd know TUSD is not top-notch by any stretch of the imagination. It's hit or miss, mostly miss. And we're talking about a school located on one of the worst streets in town. You'd also know it's one of the schools likely to be closed - Four TUSD elementary schools may be shuttered | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/related/222651 - broken link) . TUSD lays off their teachers in spring and rehires them later in order to not pay benefits. I can only imagine how much they care for the kids, too... That's my general impression. If somebody has children going to this particular school, they can tell you more.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:13 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
I did a quick search on greatschools and it came up as a "4" out of "10." Now I realize ratings aren't everything, and if it were an 8 or possibly even a 7, I'd say look into it more--testing and ratings by these big places aren't everything. Maybe it's got a great arts program or very caring teachers who don't teach to the test. Or there's a very big difference in demographics among students. But a "4"???? I'm thinking it's not good no matter how you slice it.

My other question is why you'd want to move in with your in-laws. I mean, if you need to for financial reasons, then maybe that's just what has to happen. But if this is a choice not being forced by financial circumstances, why not either stay where you are or look into areas of Tucson which have better schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson