Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 06:31 AM

37 posts, read 43,163 times

Advertisements

I was looking at Zillow for houses in Saddlebrooke- a couple of years ago I remember the HOAs being around $200/month — have they really gone up to $270?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:45 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Why would you ever move some where that had an HOA? You give up control of your property to someone else. Might as well live in an apartment.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:30 AM

29,753 posts, read 18,615,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why would you ever move some where that had an HOA? You give up control of your property to someone else. Might as well live in an apartment.
That's one side of the coin, the other side is you get benefits that you may want from the HOA. We own 3 houses in Arizona and all have HOA's, yes it can be aggravating at times to deal with the HOA but they also deliver amenities that many desire.

We looked at some houses in Saddlebrook a few weeks ago....I don't remember exactly but it seemed like around $300/month....just looked at some homes listed in Saddlebrook and they showed an HOA of $170/mo, I hope someone with more knowledge will update with the latest.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 04-03-2019 at 08:00 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 09:58 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,537,902 times
Merely addressing the HOA's total cost can be very misleading.

Comparing the benefits covered such as Recreational Offerings, Water, Trash Pick-Up and Landscape Maintenance to point out just a few varies greatly from HOA to HOA.

Good Luck.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Merely addressing the HOA's total cost can be very misleading.

Comparing the benefits covered such as Recreational Offerings, Water, Trash Pick-Up and Landscape Maintenance to point out just a few varies greatly from HOA to HOA.

Good Luck.
True, the HOA (of the 3 houses with HOA we own) that is the most expensive is actually the best deal given the amenities provided versus the others.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:15 PM

806 posts, read 849,184 times
Here's the little bit I know. There are two Homeowners Associations in Saddlebrooke -- Saddlebrooke One and Saddlebrooke Two. Maybe one HOA is higher than the other because it's newer?

Robson is the developer of Saddlebrooke and Quail Creek. I saw on the Quail Creek site that they're currently voting on whether to add a Community Improvement Fee when a house is sold. If the fee doesn't go through, they will need to raise HOA dues. The money will be pooled for ten years before it's used (if I'm understanding correctly). At some point they should add another gym/fitness center to accommodate all the new residents as it grows.

This has info on the proposed fee and amending the Quail Creek CC&R's. It may or may not be relevant to your question on why the dues are now higher in Saddlebrooke. Since they're both Robson, I would think they're run similarly.

Community Improvement Fee (CIF)

Old 04-07-2019, 03:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,411,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Here's the little bit I know. There are two Homeowners Associations in Saddlebrooke -- Saddlebrooke One and Saddlebrooke Two. Maybe one HOA is higher than the other because it's newer?

Robson is the developer of Saddlebrooke and Quail Creek. I saw on the Quail Creek site that they're currently voting on whether to add a Community Improvement Fee when a house is sold. If the fee doesn't go through, they will need to raise HOA dues. The money will be pooled for ten years before it's used (if I'm understanding correctly). At some point they should add another gym/fitness center to accommodate all the new residents as it grows.

This has info on the proposed fee and amending the Quail Creek CC&R's. It may or may not be relevant to your question on why the dues are now higher in Saddlebrooke. Since they're both Robson, I would think they're run similarly.

Community Improvement Fee (CIF)
This is just another racket. It's a "transfer fee". Why should any transfer fee be paid?
If there is truly a money issue then the assessments need to be increased over all - not randomly hitting a house here or there.

The covenant at issue provides "The Community Improvement Fee shall be deposited in the Association’s reserve fund and/or capital improvement fund, if any, and shall be used by the Association only for those purposes designated in the Association’s policies as adopted and amended by the Board from time to time for each of such funds, respectively." Good luck enforcing that as a homeowner - or trying to recover it as a homeowner when it has been embezzled or otherwise spent.

Also the one in particular imposes an additional cost on mortgagees as a result of foreclosures so it will probably get legislatively challenged - not that banks, etc. should be immune but rather because the whole concept is problematic.

Also no doubt the folks promoting this scheme did not disclose to the homeowners that the FHFA (conservator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) adopted rules prohibiting GSEs like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from purchasing loans secured by properties that had transfer fees on them. The rule is not being enforced very well right now. But when it is being enforced just watch how that transfer fee supposedly implemented to preserve property value (NOT) will make your property virtually unmarketable. If the GSEs won't buy the loan then banks, etc. won't make those loans (nor should they). Just see what the value of the house is when 90% of the market for financing the purchase is gone. There was simply no reason to do this and you can see that the way they tried implementing it was to provide that the fee would be paid by the transferee (i.e., the buyer) and not the transferor (seller/voter).

Old 04-10-2019, 12:18 AM

331 posts, read 561,384 times
I’m outside of a Phoenix in a community like this. My HOAs went from $270 to $350. They increased every year. I’m done. Soon they will be $500 a month. It’s a nightmare and will never buy in a community like this again.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:23 PM

114 posts, read 331,255 times
HOA 2 which includes much of main Saddlebrooke and the Preserve area are well under 200 a month.

Some of the lowest of similar communities. Fees have not gone up much over the years and seems to have good handle on reserves.
Lots of amenities, roads, patrol etc included and the rules are very reasonable.

It is not run by developer anymore. The developer. does run Saddlebrooke Ranch which is the flat area out northwest of the main Saddlebrooke. Different communities. Developer added food and beverage minimum at Ranch. None of that affects main HOA2 at Saddlebrooke, just Ranch.

HOA 2 covers newer and still building out part of main Saddlebrooke and the Preserve area
There is HOA1 older part of main Saddlebrooke. All of main Saddlebrooke HOA1 and 2 share multiple clubhouses, pool complexes, access to multiple golf courses, libraries, multiple gyms and pools. With no additional cost except something like food or golf membership fees.

Last edited by mddd; 06-23-2019 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Additional

Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
I’m outside of a Phoenix in a community like this. My HOAs went from $270 to $350. They increased every year. I’m done. Soon they will be $500 a month. It’s a nightmare and will never buy in a community like this again.
What was the time frame to go from $270/mo to $359/mo? Inflation may be why it increased. Don't get me wrong, I would be suspicious as well but this may be a normal progression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson