Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,099 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I am in the process of moving to Tucson AZ from NY .
I am a single mom and looking for a good decent school
And good areas . My child has a learning disability and has ADHD
So I would need a school that has a program that can help her.
I recently was looking at Apts Deerfield village . If anyone has any advise
Or opinions it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:23 AM

100 posts, read 176,479 times
Hfeather, hello, and welcome to Tucson! TUSD has open enrollment which means you can choose any school in the district that will take your child. There is a Welcome Center and you probably want to start there to see what options you have. You can choose a school near your work so you can pick your child up easily. Many of the charter schools will not take ADHD children, though they will not tell you that. They are not required to take your child. TUSD has to take any child if they live in the school area, so Cragin would be forced to take any child until he or she was too violent or emotionally disturbed. They have special schools and classes for violent children. Many parents are young and they are raising violent, emotionally disturbed children. I'm certain your child doesn't fit that definition, but others do. TUSD employs many trained professionals who can teach your child to read and who can help with behavior issues. Kids in the public schools get to play on enormous fields in the bright sunshine, probably the best thing for any six year old. They have libraries, cafeterias, bike training, public speakers like local author Chris Gall, love of reading week, Maker Space engineering, science kits, visits to the symphony, etc. TUSD has high performing schools and great kids. Enjoy our city!!

Old 05-02-2019, 12:54 PM

100 posts, read 176,479 times
Also, Hfeather, I see you are from New York, and you might like to know most TUSD elementary schools use Engage New York to teach math. This math program is highly esteemed because New York State produces some of the best math students in the nation. (Massachusetts has the highest achieving kids overall.) You can be proud of your state and know that Tucson is using Engage New York in hundreds of classrooms. Check with the school you pick if you like that program of math instruction and make sure she gets that if you wish. You Tube has videos showing Engage lessons. Your child and you could watch some this summer and prepare for next year. By the way, when I ask African refugees in Tucson what they want to be when they grow up, they say doctors and engineers, both girls and boys. When I ask American students the same question, they say rock stars, or soldiers, both girls and boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson