U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 AM

687 posts, read 501,708 times

Advertisements

I agree with the reasons mentioned above. I have lived here five years and I would say there have only been two power outages in that time, and neither lasted very long. I think the longest was five or six hours. This is one very nice benefit of living in this part of Arizona!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:40 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,156,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The other issue in the Midwest is the maintenance of the easements around the power poles. For example, in the Cleveland area, they do not seem to trim the trees from around the wires. Outages seemed to be an almost monthly event during the warmer months. On the other hand, COM-ED in Chicago spends a lot of time trimming the trees around the power poles and the number of outages is relatively small.

Do realize that we DO have occasionally have power outages, usually during periods where they are doing scheduled maintenance. They do have a program where they keep track of people in the area who have emergency medical equipment to ensure that equipment works during shutdowns.
Yes, lack of tree trimming is a big issue in the midwest, at least in Michigan. I talked with a utility guy last summer and he said that the utilities only can trim in a 10' wide swath on either side of the pole, so that's a huge limitation for trimming.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:43 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,156,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
I agree with the reasons mentioned above. I have lived here five years and I would say there have only been two power outages in that time, and neither lasted very long. I think the longest was five or six hours. This is one very nice benefit of living in this part of Arizona!
Two outages in 5 years! Where I live in Michigan, we have one or two outages a month! And it's a real pain. It got so bad here that the utility company actually sent residents a letter apologizing for the poor service that was "below their standards." That tells you something. They said they were going to "upgrade" their equipment. We're still waiting......

Old 06-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Here in southeastern Arizona, there are some things to complain about such as the state of the streets and roads, but not many in my book. TEP (Tucson Electric Power) is fortunately for us not one of them!

Old 06-21-2019, 03:17 AM

15,177 posts, read 26,014,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Yes, lack of tree trimming is a big issue in the midwest, at least in Michigan. I talked with a utility guy last summer and he said that the utilities only can trim in a 10' wide swath on either side of the pole, so that's a huge limitation for trimming.
On the other hand, Illinois tree trimmers show the finesse in trimming trees that the average Marine barber does while shaving recruits. IIf you are going to cut 90% of the tree down, take teh tree out completely.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:40 AM

311 posts, read 444,054 times
I showed this video to my wife, (we are in DFW) and she started to laugh. She said, that has been every other day here for the last 8 months...and she's right. Except it doesn't stop...it just keeps raining and raining and raining....

Old 06-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I showed this video to my wife, (we are in DFW) and she started to laugh. She said, that has been every other day here for the last 8 months...and she's right. Except it doesn't stop...it just keeps raining and raining and raining....
We get most of our thunderstorms from late June to late September with an occasional storm here and there in other months. I lived in San Angelo, TX for 13 years and San Antonio for another year, so I understand why your wife was laughing!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: