U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 PM

687 posts, read 501,174 times

Advertisements

I was not going to post this here, but after thinking it over, I decided to do it so those not from the area can see what a severe thunderstorm looks like in Tucson. My wife was due in to TIA (Tucson International Airport) on the 7:50 pm flight Saturday evening, so I left Green Valley at around 7 pm and had no idea what I would be driving in to. The main rain event was supposed to be on the following day on 05/12/2019. Please have a look if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anm505ba6So
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 AM

7,363 posts, read 4,588,259 times
Great video, having lived in Tucson over 7 years (no longer there), I remember those microbursts. What i find interesting is that this occurred in May, which is usually the second driest month in the Tucson metroplex, only behind June, with an average rainfall of 0.23 inches each year.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 AM

Thanks cjseliga! This has been a bit of a weird Spring followed by a weird and wet winter! Today is May 14th and we have yet to reach 100 degrees. We have had a couple of days that were close, but no cigar. I read an article that out monsoon season will be late this year coming in late July as opposed to late June. Another thing I have noticed is that an inordinate amount of Agave plants have grown their spires (which happens once in their life, then they die). It is going to be exciting to see how it all plays out! If you get to missing Tucson, feel free to visit my Green Valley centric youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...e_polymer=true Thanks for watching and your comment!!!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 PM

5,296 posts, read 12,236,506 times
It looks scary, but I don't like storms. Great video!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 AM

Thanks Canine*Castle! If you do not like storms, this may not be the place for you as we have a number of thunderstorms during monsoon season which officially starts June 15th and goes through September 30th, but there are frequently thunderstorms in to October. In my opinion, thunderstorms are a thing of beauty and they usually bring us much needed rain! Yes, thunderstorms can be dangerous and even destructive at times, so you do have to be cognizant of the weather, especially when driving. During monsoon season, the news is constantly remind viewers to "turn around, don't drown". The upshot of this reminder is NOT to try and drive through water running over the road. Unfortunately several people try to drive through high water every year, and most are rescued by the "swift water rescue" teams, however a life or two is lost most every year from trying to drive through the high water. This issue is not as big an issue in Green Valley as we have far less pavement that Tucson does, but the principle still applies!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:23 PM

Yes, I know all about thunderstorms and high water living in Texas for the past 40 years. Tornadoes are always a potential especially from March through June. I really don't like them, but I think the ones in Arizona wouldn't be as bad as the ones we have.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:46 PM

311 posts, read 443,905 times
Interesting, and not meaning to sound dismissive when I say, that's just another typical Saturday night here in North Texas minus the tennis ball size hail and Tornado sirens....

Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Interesting, and not meaning to sound dismissive when I say, that's just another typical Saturday night here in North Texas minus the tennis ball size hail and Tornado sirens....
Lately, that surely has been the case. And, we're under the gun again this coming Saturday. Living in tornado alley is frightful.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
No offense taken! I lived in San Angelo for 13 years and San Antonio for 1 year, so I know what you are talking about. That is what is nice about the Arizona storms, usually no hail or tornadoes. Y'all be safe out there in the Big T!!!

It was quite a few years, but I was living in San Angelo when we had a storm with Grapefruit sized hail that took out the Grape Creek high school and killed a number of farm animals. That was truly scary.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Lately, that surely has been the case. And, we're under the gun again this coming Saturday. Living in tornado alley is frightful.
Be careful out there Canine*Castle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: