U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 05:59 PM

694 posts, read 692,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
Your complex looks lovely, Roberta!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 PM

3,456 posts, read 7,759,704 times
All I know is that our neighborhood in NW Tucson just outside of Oro Valley is spiking upwards the past 6 months. Like anything else you almost need to look at this neighborhood by neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:43 PM

20,391 posts, read 24,003,852 times
Quote:
We really love the foothills area. We live in a condo though because homes in this area are beyond our reach financially.

But our condo complex is quite lovely. There are two pools, two clubhouses, and tennis courts. It is less than a mile to the grocery store so we don't spend all day driving to the store. We lived in Boston before. And while I loved living and working there, after we retired we decided we needed to expand our horizons. We had no desire to move to Florida since I had already lived there previously in the 1970's and 80's.

Right now there are 13 or 14 places for sale in our condo complex. Many people are selling now because prices are getting so high. It is called Canyon View at Ventana. You can see listings here: Search - Tucson Townhomes and Condos | Walter Klein|

Let me know if you need any other info. You can always shoot me a message.
I'd be a bit nervous having a house in the Foothills. Aren't you bothered with wildlife coming down from the mountains? Snakes? Is it safe to take a long walk at night in that area?

The reason I ask is I'm in a senior mobile home park near Swan/Grant and a few weeks ago someone found a rattlesnake curled up in the middle of one our streets, and, being a night owl, I usually walk my ferret around 10-11pm.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:49 AM

491 posts, read 669,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'd be a bit nervous having a house in the Foothills. Aren't you bothered with wildlife coming down from the mountains? Snakes? Is it safe to take a long walk at night in that area?

The reason I ask is I'm in a senior mobile home park near Swan/Grant and a few weeks ago someone found a rattlesnake curled up in the middle of one our streets, and, being a night owl, I usually walk my ferret around 10-11pm.
I don't walk at night really. So, I don't think about that. We are fenced on the back of the property but we do have the occasional bobcat walking up the sidewalk. I have only seen one rattlesnake on the property since I have lived here and we have a maintenance person full time and he loves to come with his "tongs" and barrel to capture them. He is very good at it. Once he has it in his barrel he calls the fire dept and they come pick it up.

We do have quite a few javelinas.

Other than that it is very quiet here at night.

Tall Traveler: We do have a gym here but no yoga studio. There is a pilates studio down by Basha's which is very close. Whole Foods is only a bit further away at the corner of Craycroft and River. I think there is a yoga studio there. I do bike up here but It is too faraway from the loop to get there without a car/bike rack. For me at least. I imagine there are a few hardcore riders who could ride there and back up that hill, but not me.

Wilma Jeri: yes it is very nice! Waiting for you to come back!

Old 06-13-2019, 01:29 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,185,789 times
Housing is a little below the 2007 peak in some neighborhoods, The median price has gone up to 210 and in my area its hard to find anything under 230. Houses in our neighborhood (Vail) aren't staying on the market very long. 11-30 days. It's still heavily a sellers market.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:07 PM

61 posts, read 54,504 times
Agree with RobertaWa, that area of the foothills, Kolb above Sunrise is very nice. We've stayed at her complex as well as the Greens which is closer to Sunrise-it's on both sides of Kolb and has 3 pools-two heated and nice grounds. CanyonView has direct access to Ventana Canyon trail if you're a hiker.

And on wildlife, you're in very little, if any, danger. I frequently hike with my husband and alone. I'm careful where I sit and put my hands, I've run into a rattlesnake only once and it was in Sedona. Mountain lions are becoming more prevalent all over but runners. bikers, small children are in the most danger. There are ways to not act like prey. Same in bear country-you make noise. Overall, you're in more danger driving your car.

Foothills also has more upscale shopping even in terms of food/groceries. It is a very attractive area with lots of vegetation and well kept. It feels very safe. The complexes have lots of workers around and the other residents tend to be friendly but not too friendly for my New England self. The only thing I don't like about the area is the distance from Saguaro East which is my favorite place.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 PM

5,894 posts, read 2,785,272 times
I live in an area of large lots and near-natural desert in SW Tucson. We haven't seen any snakes yet, but see javelina, coyotes, rabbits, hawks, and squirrels regularly. We were even visited by a bobcat one night.

If we walk in the dark, we stay in cleared areas and use a flashlight.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:26 AM

148 posts, read 260,535 times
I just sold my 3 bedroom home in Tuscons east side above Tanque Verde. The price range is entry, around $200k. Note you can find nice places for less than $200k. I did. I bought my home for $171.5 in 2017 and I sold it for $206.5k in 2019*. Like everything you want to make the right purchase. This, imo, requires renting in the area unless you are familiar with the market.

Note, I received 4 full price offers the first day.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:44 PM

4,340 posts, read 2,556,773 times
Quote:
We really love the foothills area. We live in a condo though because homes in this area are beyond our reach financially.

But our condo complex is quite lovely. There are two pools, two clubhouses, and tennis courts. It is less than a mile to the grocery store so we don't spend all day driving to the store. We lived in Boston before. And while I loved living and working there, after we retired we decided we needed to expand our horizons. We had no desire to move to Florida since I had already lived there previously in the 1970's and 80's.

Right now there are 13 or 14 places for sale in our condo complex. Many people are selling now because prices are getting so high. It is called Canyon View at Ventana. You can see listings here: Search - Tucson Townhomes and Condos | Walter Klein|

Let me know if you need any other info. You can always shoot me a message.
The hoa is pretty high but there are a lot of amenities. What's the age range there? Is it quiet? I'd want to redo the kitchen and bathrooms is it hard to find contractors there? Is there only one parking space? Is there crime there? Is it gated? Is the HOA power trippers? Sorry for all the questions it does look like a very nice area

Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 AM

491 posts, read 669,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
The hoa is pretty high but there are a lot of amenities. What's the age range there? Is it quiet? I'd want to redo the kitchen and bathrooms is it hard to find contractors there? Is there only one parking space? Is there crime there? Is it gated? Is the HOA power trippers? Sorry for all the questions it does look like a very nice area
Yes, the condo fees are quite high, I know. It does include water, (which keeps going up), sewer, trash removal as well as recycling removal. The ages are all over the place really. It is not age restricted and we have many people who work and some retired. Not too many with kids though. Just a couple at the bus stop in the morning. Most of the condos here are two bedroom so I think that is why.

In the summer it is very quiet with all the snowbirds gone......But snowbirds aren't noisy really so it is quiet most of the time. Just much busier in winter.

I don't think it is too hard to find contractors. We renovated last summer and had a great guy and his son do all the work. They did a fantastic job. These places were built in 1986 and so it needed updating! People are always renovating here and so the places are really well kept up. I think it is because so many are rented out in winter as snowbird rentals.

Yes, only one parking space that is covered but there are a ton of uncovered spaces for guests or a second car.

Pretty much zero crime here. Once in a great while there will be a car break in but I think, and this is just my opinion, that we are so far up the hill at Craycroft and Kolb, criminals don't make it up this far! LOL. So no, not gated. No need really.

The board is not aggressive at all. Like all boards there are people you like and people you don't like but everyone here seems very nice. They have a three year term. Our biggest problem with the board is finding people who live here full time to be on it. My husband just joined the board and he is only one of two who live here full time. Mostly they try and keep up with finding vendors to take care of the place! There is a lot to take care of. The landscaping for one is a big job. We have a lot of trees and plants. And the pools etc.

Hope I answered everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson