U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,310,669 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what a good estimate is for AC costs in a 1 bdrm apartment in Tucson. I realize it would higher in the summer, lower in the winter, but if anyone has lived in a smaller space, such as an apartment vs a house, it would be helpful to get an idea of what to budget for AC costs. I would think that any good apartment or condo complex would have central AC or maybe window units?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 08:24 AM

93 posts, read 128,675 times
My daughter lives in a one bedroom in a large complex located centrally. They have central air conditioning, a very good system. She pays $830 and has all utilities included in her rent except wifi. We keep hoping they'll offer her that. The way we figure it, this all utilities offer essentially lowers the rent in the summer. The rental company says they average $90 a month for electricity in the summer for a one bedroom. They say they are offering, on average, a total value of about $150 a month by giving free utilities. Water, sewer and garbage are more than $60 for a house, but probably less per apartment for a big complex. Seems about right. In the winter electricity is lower, but I suppose they have higher gas costs. The company installed solar panels over all the parking lots a year ago. Hope this helps you.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM

543 posts, read 361,929 times
I live in a 1-bedroom, about 650 square feet, with central AC. Nearby buildings and trees keep most of the direct sunlight out, but I do get some. In June, our hottest month, they run around $85; for the rest of the summer they are under $80/month. The lowest months for me are December-March, when they are under $55 and sometimes even under $45. I work 5 days a week and, during the summer, leave the thermostat set at 80 or 82 while I'm at work. During the weekends, although I'll open up the blinds for most of the morning, I otherwise keep the place as dark as possible and the thermostat set, during the day, to 75-80, with a ceiling fan going if necessary. I'm from New England and so prefer sleeping in a cool room. I turn the thermostat down to around 70 and if necessary run a fan for part of the night. (I recommend getting a floor fan with a remote control and timer.)

I should add that some of that electric bill, besides going to the standard fridge, lights, dishwasher, etc., goes to the washer and dryer, which gets used quite frequently, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone with an apartment similar to mine but no W/D regularly pays less.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli View Post
My daughter lives in a one bedroom in a large complex located centrally. They have central air conditioning, a very good system. She pays $830 and has all utilities included in her rent except wifi. We keep hoping they'll offer her that. The way we figure it, this all utilities offer essentially lowers the rent in the summer. The rental company says they average $90 a month for electricity in the summer for a one bedroom. They say they are offering, on average, a total value of about $150 a month by giving free utilities. Water, sewer and garbage are more than $60 for a house, but probably less per apartment for a big complex. Seems about right. In the winter electricity is lower, but I suppose they have higher gas costs. The company installed solar panels over all the parking lots a year ago. Hope this helps you.
That is really great info. Thanks for posting! Central air is so much more efficient than window units. In a climate like AZ, and the extreme summer temps, definitely efficient AC will save some $$. It's unusual for a LL to include electric in the rent, but in the north, it's not uncommon for heat to be included, so kind of the same thing in reverse.

Is the complex in a good area? I'd be interested in knowing which one, if you don't mind sharing. DM me if you prefer. If I move to Tucson later this summer, I'd be looking for a nice rental at a reasonable price. A lot of large complexes are shady when it comes to fees and deposits, so finding a good place is a challenge. Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I live in a 1-bedroom, about 650 square feet, with central AC. Nearby buildings and trees keep most of the direct sunlight out, but I do get some. In June, our hottest month, they run around $85; for the rest of the summer they are under $80/month. The lowest months for me are December-March, when they are under $55 and sometimes even under $45. I work 5 days a week and, during the summer, leave the thermostat set at 80 or 82 while I'm at work. During the weekends, although I'll open up the blinds for most of the morning, I otherwise keep the place as dark as possible and the thermostat set, during the day, to 75-80, with a ceiling fan going if necessary. I'm from New England and so prefer sleeping in a cool room. I turn the thermostat down to around 70 and if necessary run a fan for part of the night. (I recommend getting a floor fan with a remote control and timer.)

I should add that some of that electric bill, besides going to the standard fridge, lights, dishwasher, etc., goes to the washer and dryer, which gets used quite frequently, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone with an apartment similar to mine but no W/D regularly pays less.
Great info. This is really helpful. Yes, working would be a time for a higher thermo setting, definitely. As a retiree, I'm more in and out, but in a very hot climate, I might be in for the day or out for the day. Either way, your suggestions are good (keeping the place dark).

I like using fans and have a floor fan now that I use here in the north country in the summer. It extends the AC for me and I like the cool air movement.

Was the weather in Tucson a big adjustment coming from New England? I'm in the midwest with a similar climate.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:44 PM

543 posts, read 361,929 times
Glad to help!

It was an adjustment, yes, but one I was primed and maybe even born for! I've never liked the cold and experienced desert regions elsewhere in the world. If I have my way, they'll bury me here.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:53 PM

93 posts, read 128,675 times
xz2y, glad to help. My daughter is in Capistrano Apts which is owned by Scotia Group. They own tons of big apartment complexes in Tucson. It is in Sam Hughes, which is a great area, but the units are old, circa 1970s. Scotia is okay to deal with, not perfect, not awful. You can do much better in terms of apt condition. Some places at same rent are brand new and immaculate and probably in even better places. A few years ago many complexes here had free wifi and all utilities paid. Maybe they still do. She had no rental history back then, so she had to take what she could and we knew the area was safe. It is very near the U of A and good for biking on bike path just north of there. Scotia just built enclosed patios on all the one bedrooms, which was a nice upgrade. Building was owned by Picor before.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli View Post
xz2y, glad to help. My daughter is in Capistrano Apts which is owned by Scotia Group. They own tons of big apartment complexes in Tucson. It is in Sam Hughes, which is a great area, but the units are old, circa 1970s. Scotia is okay to deal with, not perfect, not awful. You can do much better in terms of apt condition. Some places at same rent are brand new and immaculate and probably in even better places. A few years ago many complexes here had free wifi and all utilities paid. Maybe they still do. She had no rental history back then, so she had to take what she could and we knew the area was safe. It is very near the U of A and good for biking on bike path just north of there. Scotia just built enclosed patios on all the one bedrooms, which was a nice upgrade. Building was owned by Picor before.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful information! I really appreciate it. Believe it or not, as I've been researching apartment complexes around the country in different urban locations, I now have a spreadsheet with a list of close to 85 "bad" property management companies, based on the most egregious negative online reviews. Scotia Group isn't among them, which is good news. Renting has changed a lot in the last few years, and these huge property mgmt companies are taking advantage of renters who don't always have the resources or time to fight back on some of their predatory behaviors, so they keep getting away with bad stuff. I'll check them out. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: