U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:51 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,149,442 times

Advertisements

Looking at an overview of Tucson, it appears that housing costs are "reasonable" compared to a lot of other cities, there appears to be reasonable healthcare options, and the scenery looks nice. It's definitely oven hot in the summer, but mild in the winter.

However, I'm wondering about some of the other aspects of Tucson, such as the downtown area, for example. Is there a lively downtown in Tucson? What streets or sections would be best for walking around the shops and restaurants? Are there good farmers markets in the city?

What neighborhoods would be good for someone who wants a nice, safe place to live, with access to the lively urban areas? I'm seeing a lot of apartments in the city, but many have bad reviews regardless of price, so it's hard to determine if there are good or not-so-good urban areas. I'm not into suburban-type neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 PM

212 posts, read 426,408 times
Downtown and 4th Ave are great for nightlife. Hotel Congress is awesome for grabbing a drink and seeing a show along with Rialto and Fox Theaters. University area is good as well, although geared towards the college crowd. Excellent restaurants all over the place. I live in Seattle but spend a lot of time in Tucson and last time we were in Tucson my wife remarked how there is more going on around downtown than any of the hip neighborhoods in Seattle. Not sure this is entirely true, but you get the idea. For living Sam Hughes would be my niehgborhood of choice as it is right in the middle of town and close to downtown and U of A with lots of cool older homes. Foothills, eastside off Tanque Verde are also great to live but quieter and closer to nature. The far northwest side around and in Oro Valley is nice as well and closer to Phoenix if you think you'll be getting up that way often. Excellent hiking at Sabino Canyon and Catalina State Park.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post
Downtown and 4th Ave are great for nightlife. Hotel Congress is awesome for grabbing a drink and seeing a show along with Rialto and Fox Theaters. University area is good as well, although geared towards the college crowd. Excellent restaurants all over the place. I live in Seattle but spend a lot of time in Tucson and last time we were in Tucson my wife remarked how there is more going on around downtown than any of the hip neighborhoods in Seattle. Not sure this is entirely true, but you get the idea. For living Sam Hughes would be my niehgborhood of choice as it is right in the middle of town and close to downtown and U of A with lots of cool older homes. Foothills, eastside off Tanque Verde are also great to live but quieter and closer to nature. The far northwest side around and in Oro Valley is nice as well and closer to Phoenix if you think you'll be getting up that way often. Excellent hiking at Sabino Canyon and Catalina State Park.
Great post! Thanks for taking time to share these details. Very helpful!

Old 06-26-2019, 11:12 PM

212 posts, read 426,408 times
Glad to help out. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2019, 05:00 AM

694 posts, read 683,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post
Downtown and 4th Ave are great for nightlife. Hotel Congress is awesome ...
It is a great post!

Old 06-27-2019, 06:40 AM

11,585 posts, read 8,299,456 times
If you are not into "suburban" areas you will want to be in the core of Tucson. The perimeter of Tucson, while quite nice and well monied is suburbia. Almost all upscale housing. Even the new commercial development in the perimeter is lacking in comparison.

Tucson is kind of strange in that it has only one downtown and doesn't have any "old neighborhood" clusters of retail that so many cities have. Nor does it have any old suburb type of towns that have small central districts like even Phoenix has with Scottsdale and Tempe.

So if you want quick access to the cool, quirky, eclectic stuff in old buildings you have to stay in the core. And if you want the cool, quirky, eclectic stuff that predates WWII in terms of structure you you've basically got downtown, 4th and west university district and a little bit on Stone. There are other more "car culture" areas along the major thoroughfares that have a plethora of cool stores, eateries in the like that are located all over the core of town.

Neighborhoods are completely hit or miss through the whole area. As the Seattle Cat said, The Sam Hughes neighborhood is basically a full square mile of "hit". It is on the other side of the University from downtown so it's a little further but easily accessible. The best news is that some of the areas between downtown and campus are gentrifying and some areas are being refitted with new multi unit housing. There are a bunch of nice small parks in that area.

When I lived in Tucson a lot of that was ramshackle and sketchy but now it's coming back. This is the west University district and an area called Dunbar Springs which originally was the black area of Tucson in segregation days. Next to that is Barrio Anita which is one of the more fascinating places in Tucson. A true barrio where families had lived for generations.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:27 AM

4,276 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If you are not into "suburban" areas you will want to be in the core of Tucson. The perimeter of Tucson, while quite nice and well monied is suburbia. Almost all upscale housing. Even the new commercial development in the perimeter is lacking in comparison.

Tucson is kind of strange in that it has only one downtown and doesn't have any "old neighborhood" clusters of retail that so many cities have. Nor does it have any old suburb type of towns that have small central districts like even Phoenix has with Scottsdale and Tempe.

So if you want quick access to the cool, quirky, eclectic stuff in old buildings you have to stay in the core. And if you want the cool, quirky, eclectic stuff that predates WWII in terms of structure you you've basically got downtown, 4th and west university district and a little bit on Stone. There are other more "car culture" areas along the major thoroughfares that have a plethora of cool stores, eateries in the like that are located all over the core of town.

Neighborhoods are completely hit or miss through the whole area. As the Seattle Cat said, The Sam Hughes neighborhood is basically a full square mile of "hit". It is on the other side of the University from downtown so it's a little further but easily accessible. The best news is that some of the areas between downtown and campus are gentrifying and some areas are being refitted with new multi unit housing. There are a bunch of nice small parks in that area.

When I lived in Tucson a lot of that was ramshackle and sketchy but now it's coming back. This is the west University district and an area called Dunbar Springs which originally was the black area of Tucson in segregation days. Next to that is Barrio Anita which is one of the more fascinating places in Tucson. A true barrio where families had lived for generations.
Is Tucson gentrifying enough that buying real estate is a good idea? I think Phx is filling up and Tucson will start to see a lot of spill over people moving there. Just don't know the timeline

Old 06-27-2019, 02:31 PM

11,585 posts, read 8,299,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Is Tucson gentrifying enough that buying real estate is a good idea? I think Phx is filling up and Tucson will start to see a lot of spill over people moving there. Just don't know the timeline
That I don't know since I don't live there anymore. But it's weird, there ares some neighborhoods in the core of Tucson that have never gone downhill and they will share the same square mile with some neighborhoods that aren't any good and some of them look like they never were very good. Go down the street a few blocks and you have a beautiful neighborhood with good sized ranch style/adobe homes on winding streets. Lots of 50s and 60s development in Tucson is that way.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:05 PM

92 posts, read 113,161 times
El Encanto, for example, is full of mansions and has been high-priced since the 1960s. Barrio Viejo, Feldmans, Sam Hughes, Dunbar Springs, etc. are other highly sought-after central areas. Midtown houses which are 1920-1950 constructions are selling quickly to wealthier hipsters, basically within a day of listing if my neighborhood is any indication. Two sold instantly on my street this month. I get real estate agent solicitations in the mail every week offering to buy my 1938 adobe. And I'm not in a great area, either, so somebody is figuring this whole thing out and coming in with their dough. Never got so many offers in 25 years here. I don't know if homeowners in suburban areas get offers weekly. Maybe they do. Just my take on the situation.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

This is really helpful. Thank you for posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson