U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2019, 01:11 PM
 
314 posts, read 171,671 times
Reputation: 959

Advertisements

"Nothing going on" sounds like heaven to me! An empty or nearly empty gym would be wonderful (before/after being closed for refurbishment).

Last time I was there, I was hoping to get a look inside all the different rec centers, to perhaps inform the decision on which area in GV. Each center appears to have more or less equipment, the pools vary in length (some meet the 25 yard length and floating lane lines for lap swimming; some don't). We were staying at the Best Western so did not have a GV Rec card for entry. I peered over fences but wasn't sure how one 'tours' the centers as a non-resident and I did not want to breach protocol. Probably a call to GV Rec would be a good place to start. But if dropping in is possible, this would be good to know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2019, 02:37 PM
 
15,177 posts, read 26,009,702 times
Reputation: 22221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
"Nothing going on" sounds like heaven to me! An empty or nearly empty gym would be wonderful (before/after being closed for refurbishment).

Last time I was there, I was hoping to get a look inside all the different rec centers, to perhaps inform the decision on which area in GV. Each center appears to have more or less equipment, the pools vary in length (some meet the 25 yard length and floating lane lines for lap swimming; some don't). We were staying at the Best Western so did not have a GV Rec card for entry. I peered over fences but wasn't sure how one 'tours' the centers as a non-resident and I did not want to breach protocol. Probably a call to GV Rec would be a good place to start. But if dropping in is possible, this would be good to know.
Pm me for a tour.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 03:06 PM
 
314 posts, read 171,671 times
Reputation: 959
Thank you. Next visit isn't imminent due to elder family care needs, but hopefully soon. Much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 06:21 PM
 
83 posts, read 108,872 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
"Nothing going on" sounds like heaven to me! An empty or nearly empty gym would be wonderful (before/after being closed for refurbishment).

Last time I was there, I was hoping to get a look inside all the different rec centers, to perhaps inform the decision on which area in GV. Each center appears to have more or less equipment, the pools vary in length (some meet the 25 yard length and floating lane lines for lap swimming; some don't). We were staying at the Best Western so did not have a GV Rec card for entry. I peered over fences but wasn't sure how one 'tours' the centers as a non-resident and I did not want to breach protocol. Probably a call to GV Rec would be a good place to start. But if dropping in is possible, this would be good to know.
I saw a video on the GV Rec page where they said they would give Visitors a 2 day pass.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 06:30 PM
 
83 posts, read 108,872 times
Reputation: 81
I must say, navigating the plethora of HOA's at GV is a daunting task. I'm a little leery of HOA's that are controlled by a small population that could change on a dime. Suddenly that fenced in yard, beloved pet, type of tree, etc. becomes someone's pet peeve. HOA's are a blessing and a curse and I have seen both sides having spent decades living in them. I'm neither afraid nor against them, but this many with small populations is hard to get your arms around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 06:34 PM
 
83 posts, read 108,872 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post

Green Valley comprises so many different communities and I am always curious how people choose one over the other (aside from price), which is also what the OP appears to be asking.
You nailed it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 09:44 PM
 
314 posts, read 171,671 times
Reputation: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post
I saw a video on the GV Rec page where they said they would give Visitors a 2 day pass.
This is good to know also. It would be a jam-packed two days, but one could plan the route from one end of GV to the other and see them all from the inside.

I think I recall that some of the pools had been converted to salt water pools. I prefer the lightness of chlorine pools for swimming. Have never swum in salt water aside from the ocean, but would happily take what GVR offers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
20,291 posts, read 23,853,307 times
Reputation: 28073
I'm curious as to why there's so many HOA's out there. Perhaps the day will come and some will consolidate. My cousin just bought a house on Bunny Hill Drive, I believe, and his HOA fees are only 400+ a year. They've always lived a suburban lifestyle so I couldn't talk them into joining me here in Central Tucson. Their back yard opens up to wild land. No thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 09:44 AM
 
314 posts, read 171,671 times
Reputation: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm curious as to why there's so many HOA's out there. Perhaps the day will come and some will consolidate.
My hunch is it has to do with how the area was built. Different developers bought chunks of land and built homes, each with an HOA. Earl Whigham built Esperanza Estates in the late 1970s. Fairfield was another who built Las Campanas. I remember way back when my father happily said that "the County maintains the streets". This turned out to be less of a blessing than people supposed. Some of the streets are finally getting repaved, but it has been a long stretch in between.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 AM
 
15,177 posts, read 26,009,702 times
Reputation: 22221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
My hunch is it has to do with how the area was built. Different developers bought chunks of land and built homes, each with an HOA. Earl Whigham built Esperanza Estates in the late 1970s. Fairfield was another who built Las Campanas. I remember way back when my father happily said that "the County maintains the streets". This turned out to be less of a blessing than people supposed. Some of the streets are finally getting repaved, but it has been a long stretch in between.

That is very accurate. Unlike Del Webb who generally develops an entire area, Green Valley developers built properties in various tracts. The benefit of this approach is that the area was built out a lot quicker than other communities. Also, the build out was less likely to fail should one of the developers face financial difficulties which happened with some of the other Fairfield communities. Also, with separate developers, facilities were built out as homes were built.

Our HOA is responsible for about two items - maintaining our streets and landscaping of common areas. Our HOA fees are $200 per year. Our roads will be resealed later this year. Meanwhile, county maintained streets have large potholes that remain unfilled for about 60 days.

As for merging various HOAs, that is silly and impractical. Each HOA is a legal entity under the laws of the State of Arizona. To change the by-laws would require a super majority of owners of each of the HOAs, which again is not going to happen. Each HOA has different capital needs, different responsibilities and the like. Legally, it would be very expensive and who wants it? No one that I am aware of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top