U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 01:14 PM

83 posts, read 109,488 times

Advertisements

What would be the best way for a newbie to tour the Green Valley 55+ communities? How does one learn about the 50+ HOA's and how each community operates? For those living there, how did you go about selecting your particular community?

Note: There doesn't look like there is a Visitors Center or other central repository for this information.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 03:34 PM

316 posts, read 174,336 times
Here is the link for Green Valley Recreation which has info on the rec centers, clubs, etc: http://www.gvrec.org/

To my mind, the best source to learn about Green Valley and get a feel for the area and residents is by subscribing to the Green Valley News. It's a great local newspaper. We subscribe to the print edition and also can access the online edition: https://www.gvnews.com/

Here is the subscription page: https://www.gvnews.com/site/forms/su...tion_services/

As to the HOA's, there is no central repository for information, as far as I know. How I did it was to find out the name of the HOA and then google it to find the HOA website. They often have the bylaws, meeting notes, etc in pdf format on each website, and sometimes photos of their pizza parties etc if you want to see the festivities. Each HOA has different rules and you should know them before you buy. One, for instance, does not allow trees to grow over 19' tall (if I recall correctly) so as not to block neighbors' views. Some appear not to allow certain types of palm trees. Some allow adult children to live in the premises; others don't. Some allow you to park in your driveway; others don't.

Probably the best thing would be to rent for a time and take lots of walks and drive around to get to know the areas and which parts of town call to you. Good luck!

edit to add: Cadden is a property management company that manages some of the HOA's in Green Valley. If you are looking in the Las Campanas area, for example, this page from their website has links to the HOA documents (at bottom of page): https://cadden.com/?community=las-campanas

The full list of all the communities they manage is here and you can click through to find HOA information: https://cadden.com/?community=your-c...y-your-manager
Note that this includes communities outside of Green Valley also, in many areas of Tucson.

Last edited by wildflowers27; 07-06-2019 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: to add information

Old 07-06-2019, 10:14 PM

15,180 posts, read 26,039,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Here is the link for Green Valley Recreation which has info on the rec centers, clubs, etc: http://www.gvrec.org/

As to the HOA's, there is no central repository for information, as far as I know. How I did it was to find out the name of the HOA and then google it to find the HOA website. They often have the bylaws, meeting notes, etc in pdf format on each website, and sometimes photos of their pizza parties etc if you want to see the festivities. Each HOA has different rules and you should know them before you buy. One, for instance, does not allow trees to grow over 19' tall (if I recall correctly) so as not to block neighbors' views. Some appear not to allow certain types of palm trees. Some allow adult children to live in the premises; others don't. Some allow you to park in your driveway; others don't.

Probably the best thing would be to rent for a time and take lots of walks and drive around to get to know the areas and which parts of town call to you. Good luck!

Three sources of HOA information:

1) Since any property that is in an HOA is so deeded, you can find copies of all of the HOA documents at the Pima County Recorder's Office in Tucson.

https://www.recorder.pima.gov/

2) Since approximately 80 of the 105 HOA communities in Green Valley are members of the Green Valley Council, the Green Valley Council maintains a library of the HOA documents of member HOAs. The Green Valley Council operates as a liaison with the Pima County government to address the needs of homeowners in Green Valley. Green Valley is an unincorporated area in Pima County without a city government which is one of the reasons why the tax rates are roughly half of those in nearby Sahuarita.

https://gvcouncil.org/

3) Contact the HOAs for the areas taht you are interested in. In general, there is someone on the board that will tell you the things that are going on.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the link to the Green Valley Council site, jlawrence01. A lot of good info there and looks to fit the bill as the central repository for GV information. The medical provider search also very useful.

One thing I can't quite get my head around is the difference between the 85614 and 85622 areas. Some people head straight for 85622 (below Continental Rd) while others prefer 85614 (above Continental). What factors tilt to one over the other? Years back there was a similar discussion on CD on why people chose Quail Creek over Saddlebrooke (and vice versa). The far lower end of 85622 looks to be a lot of new building and presumably higher prices, but also farther away from amenities such as grocery stores.

Green Valley comprises so many different communities and I am always curious how people choose one over the other (aside from price), which is also what the OP appears to be asking.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
One thing I can't quite get my head around is the difference between the 85614 and 85622 areas. Some people head straight for 85622 (below Continental Rd) while others prefer 85614 (above Continental). What factors tilt to one over the other? Years back there was a similar discussion on CD on why people chose Quail Creek over Saddlebrooke (and vice versa). The far lower end of 85622 looks to be a lot of new building and presumably higher prices, but also farther away from amenities such as grocery stores.

Green Valley comprises so many different communities and I am always curious how people choose one over the other (aside from price), which is also what the OP appears to be asking.

Personally, I prefer the area south of Continental as there is little congestion and a lot of great neighborhoods. Also, many of the neighborhoods are newer.

We came to Green Valley in 2014 for a couple of months to escape the Chicago winter. We spent a few weeks driving around and talking to various people and ended up buying in a neighborhood where we rented a place for a couple of months.

Our primary needs were:

We wanted access to Green Valley Recreation and all of their resources including social clubs, swimming pools, gyms, etc.

We wanted to live in a neighborhood where people got out of their houses and actually interacted and where there was a sense of community.

Third, we wanted a small place that was completely ADA compliant. While we bought at age 55,I have read hundreds of stories of retirement communities like Leisure World where people could not remain in their homes as they age due to architectural issues. In these cases, their community did not want them to add elevators, ramps, and the like.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:44 PM

401 posts, read 394,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Third, we wanted a small place that was completely ADA compliant. While we bought at age 55,I have read hundreds of stories of retirement communities like Leisure World where people could not remain in their homes as they age due to architectural issues. In these cases, their community did not want them to add elevators, ramps, and the like.
That's interesting. I never would have considered retirement communities disallowing such items.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
That's interesting. I never would have considered retirement communities disallowing such items.
Some of the original active living communities - Leisure World comes to mind - were marketed to very young retirees in SoCal who were in their early 50s and were seeking a very active lifestyle. Many of the buildings had second story units and no elevators which was not a problem for most people in their 50s. However, as they aged, they could not navigate the steps and sought permission from the community to add elevators and ramps. This was denied and led many to pursue legal actions against the community.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...874-story.html

Old 07-07-2019, 03:54 PM

I completely agree with you on all these points. Recreation (pools and gyms), a sense of community, and that this move will be the last move. It's hard enough in one's 60's, and I'd hate to think of having to move again to navigate the house late in life. No step-down living rooms or second floors.

Thank you for the input on 85622 and I will look around there more.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:09 PM

687 posts, read 505,124 times
You might also have a look at the Chamber of Commerce at: Home Page | Green Valley | Sahuarita, Arizona You may also want to look online and make an appointment with a realtor, who know the area better than a realtor? I worked with Kim Mazura when I bought my home remotely from Oregon and she was very knowlegable in my opinion! https://www.realtor.com/realestateag...8265_706999758

Old 07-08-2019, 01:16 PM

The one thing NOT to do if you want to know more about Green Valley Recreation and the different HOAs is to show up here in the middle of July and walk into one of the centers. July is generally the WORST month in terms of "nothing going on." It is also the month that many of the major centers close for a week or two for heavy maintenance and refurbishment. Yes, if you come here in July and just drop in, you probably will think that this place is pretty boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson