U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 09:46 PM

134 posts, read 108,699 times

Advertisements

We've been studying the various real estate sites for Tucson for about six months now, and hope to buy within the next six months. What we're noticing is that the busy season seems to be opposite every other market I've ever lived in or watched.
For example, normally (in other parts of the country I've been) the busy season is summer, so you can move and be settled before kids start school. In other places people would knock themselves out to get a house listed by May for selling, and there was a total buying frenzy all summer long.
Winter - everything went dead. Don't even try to sell a house from early November until late January, due to holidays, cold, snow, etc.
Tucson seems to be the complete opposite, from what we can see. We looked a lot in January/February, and took a trip down in early March to drive various areas and go to a bunch of open houses and spend time with a realtor to learn the area. Lots of houses. So many we couldn't even see all we wanted to.
We're going again next weekend, and for the last month or so the inventory is really dried up. There will be neighborhoods to check out and a few open houses, but it's really low inventory right now with our criteria.
Just wondering - is the weather the reason for this pattern? I know it's very hot (it's just as hot where I am now), people leave in the summer so they might not be listing their house, etc. I also wonder if the winter market is so much busier because of the snowbirds descending, and people take the opportunity to try and sell to that audience.
For us, it's a curiosity. We'll find what we want when it shows up, so we're not worried. Just never seen a pattern like this before.
Thanks for any insight you have!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 02:02 AM

5,705 posts, read 2,697,498 times
It's a snowbird pattern.
Sellers want their houses exposed to the maximum number of buyers.
Some people only come for the winter, and others leave during the summer.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:55 AM

3,426 posts, read 7,693,180 times
We have summer like other cities have winters.

Plus if I had to guess, people with families move to the Phoenix area. I can't remember the last time I met a recent new resident of Tucson that brought kids with them. But ran into them all the time when I lived in and around Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: