U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 11:18 AM

11,585 posts, read 8,294,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post
Kmanshouse is definitely speaking the truth about the upscaleness and opportunities. A lot of people (myself included) leave after school or shortly after because in general the economic opportunities aren't the same as other bigger cities, and it's also true that it's not exactly "upscale". Still, I find Tucson far more friendly and real even if lacking in certain areas than many other cities. Whenever I come to town my wife and I find plenty of fun nightlife downtown and on 4th on the weekends, but yeah during the week and in the summer can be pretty quiet. SomeJuanhere I think you'll just have to see if you like it.

As far as places to eat man, there are lots of excellent choices around. I am not into gourmet and fancy places to eat myself, so for it's usually El Charro and La Indita. Also, for breakfast I love Tonia's. Get their homemade tortillas for sure. Last time I was there my wife and I had a great pizza at a place downtown called Reilly's I believe. Also, I love to go to Club Congress and get a drink and see what's on the menu. That place is a national treasure. Not for the food necessarily, but just a cool place with live music and an awesome patio. I also like Union Public House in St. Phillip's Plaza. Most importantly though, every real Tucsonan has to have a favorite flavor of Eegee's. You don't know what that is yet, but you will
Tucson is kind of layered. The south is like a giant Nogales. The Central is like a a 250K college town with some working class grit thrown in. The north is like a resort community. With the east, west and now even the south becoming the upper middle class suburban.

At age 24 I would think if you get there in the summer you could easily find a rental a mile or two from campus. To me directly east of campus would be the safest as far as avoiding property crime (Sam Hughes) and Monte Vista areas. North and south of campus are a mix of sketchy and ok. West is the same way but it is changing the most (positively) I think. All these areas are quick to downtown and 4th Ave 2-15 minutes and 20-30 minutes to the airport area.

At a million people there are good restaurants all over town. And you could probably eat Mexican every day for the rest of your life and not exhaust all the Mexican places. South Tucson is a must for Mexican food. There are about six-eight places down there that have been there for decades and are all kind of diveish. El Torero is my favorite along with Micha's.

As SeattleCat mentioned, Egees is an institution. There is also a uniquely Tucson place called 'Lucky Wishbone'. It serves food straight out of the 1950s but if you want to eat like an old time Tucsonan you got to try it out at least once. Maybe not twice (if you value your arteries) but at least once.

As for your question about activities at the UofA. Yes at 24 you could easily fit in to some of the stuff they do over there. People who live in central Tucson gravitate to the University. It's a pretty active place for the community. OTOH, there are probably people who live out in the suburban part of Tucson that never go down there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 3,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
4th Avenue is a bohemia type of area with lots of shops and restaurants. It's a neat area where locals and some tourists may go to shop. The streets near there are cute but I wouldn't say they were upscale or anything. And you will have homeless people/panhandlers around. There is some petty crime but it's not a dangerous spot to be.

The "upscale" spots of Tucson are in the hills where older people live with their families.

IMHO, Tucson isn't ideal for younger professionals. You can make a life there, and there are certainly younger people and the huge university right in town. But it's not "happening" - the pace is pretty slow, the city is anti-development. U of A is nice, and being 24, you aren't that much older than college students, especially grad students, so you'll probably find your niche. Just don't expect a city full of vibrant nightlife and a huge "scene", if that makes sense.

I lived there in my early 30s, with small children. We lived in NW Tucson and it was nice for a family. When we craved "action" there wasn't much of it going on.

Yeah, I'm gravitating towards living towards central Tucson near the school as opposed to the north. As I'd prefer for at least some stuff to do.

My contract stipulates only a minimum of a year so this is also a test for me to see if I like Tucson.

I'm a fairly introverted person trying to change things up. A complete 'EVERYTHINGS HAPPENING' isn't what I'm looking for. Baby steps. Right now I'm in the bum middle of suburbia with no real cities or things...anywhere. So Tucson is an upgrade.

I'm not a cluber or a pure nightlife guy. Just trying to go on some dates here and there, enjoy whats around, try out some restaurants, and wind down driving my car or motorcycle around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Why not stay in an AirBnB place when you get here and scout out the areas, then decide where to move? You can always put your items in storage for a month.
I've never done that before. My company gives me half a month stay at the JW Marriot when I get to Tucson and a month rental.

But I don't know if half a month is enough time or too short for me to do an asap move in. I thought move ins had to be planned like a month before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post
Kmanshouse is definitely speaking the truth about the upscaleness and opportunities. A lot of people (myself included) leave after school or shortly after because in general the economic opportunities aren't the same as other bigger cities, and it's also true that it's not exactly "upscale". Still, I find Tucson far more friendly and real even if lacking in certain areas than many other cities. Whenever I come to town my wife and I find plenty of fun nightlife downtown and on 4th on the weekends, but yeah during the week and in the summer can be pretty quiet. SomeJuanhere I think you'll just have to see if you like it.

As far as places to eat man, there are lots of excellent choices around. I am not into gourmet and fancy places to eat myself, so for it's usually El Charro and La Indita. Also, for breakfast I love Tonia's. Get their homemade tortillas for sure. Last time I was there my wife and I had a great pizza at a place downtown called Reilly's I believe. Also, I love to go to Club Congress and get a drink and see what's on the menu. That place is a national treasure. Not for the food necessarily, but just a cool place with live music and an awesome patio. I also like Union Public House in St. Phillip's Plaza. Most importantly though, every real Tucsonan has to have a favorite flavor of Eegee's. You don't know what that is yet, but you will
"fter because in general the economic opportunities aren't the same as other bigger cities"

I definitely get that. I'm only coming thanks to a local company realizing that and willing to pay $$ for out of state talent to come in to make up for some of it.

I've been to El Charro and the hotel congress when I was here during my interviews. Very lovely time. Vibrant enough for me

I'll keep your suggestions in mind and try out Eegeeeeees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Tucson is kind of layered. The south is like a giant Nogales. The Central is like a a 250K college town with some working class grit thrown in. The north is like a resort community. With the east, west and now even the south becoming the upper middle class suburban.

At age 24 I would think if you get there in the summer you could easily find a rental a mile or two from campus. To me directly east of campus would be the safest as far as avoiding property crime (Sam Hughes) and Monte Vista areas. North and south of campus are a mix of sketchy and ok. West is the same way but it is changing the most (positively) I think. All these areas are quick to downtown and 4th Ave 2-15 minutes and 20-30 minutes to the airport area.

At a million people there are good restaurants all over town. And you could probably eat Mexican every day for the rest of your life and not exhaust all the Mexican places. South Tucson is a must for Mexican food. There are about six-eight places down there that have been there for decades and are all kind of diveish. El Torero is my favorite along with Micha's.

As SeattleCat mentioned, Egees is an institution. There is also a uniquely Tucson place called 'Lucky Wishbone'. It serves food straight out of the 1950s but if you want to eat like an old time Tucsonan you got to try it out at least once. Maybe not twice (if you value your arteries) but at least once.

As for your question about activities at the UofA. Yes at 24 you could easily fit in to some of the stuff they do over there. People who live in central Tucson gravitate to the University. It's a pretty active place for the community. OTOH, there are probably people who live out in the suburban part of Tucson that never go down there.
Any recommended places youve heard good things about (aptmnt complexes)? If not thats fine, your general zone tips are more than helpful already.

Awesome on the activities. I'm mostly just trying to work, try out a place different from where I've been my whole life, go on some dates, try out some restaurants, and learn some new technical skills at the company.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:01 PM

7,186 posts, read 10,489,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is an excellent description of Tucson--great overview. I lived in Tucson for about 7 years when I was in the Air Force, stationed at Davis Monthan, and then stayed there for an additional 4 years to wrap up college at U of A.

I absolutely loved Tucson and it was an incredible city to go to school in. I lived on base for 2 years, then out west off of St Mary's for another 2, and finally out at Starr Pass for the final 3 years.

I fell in love with Mexican food in Tucson, and still crave a lot of that now--El Charro and Mi Nidito were solid go-to's.

But to the OP--I would look at a spot near downtown, campus or the foothills. Also, Starr Pass is pretty incredible but several miles to downtown and 4th Avenue bars/restaurants. At least living downtown or near campus the area is super walkable/bike-able.

I really love the Tucson area, and if you don't mind the hot, long 6 months of summer, the winter is glorious weather.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 3,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is an excellent description of Tucson--great overview. I lived in Tucson for about 7 years when I was in the Air Force, stationed at Davis Monthan, and then stayed there for an additional 4 years to wrap up college at U of A.

I absolutely loved Tucson and it was an incredible city to go to school in. I lived on base for 2 years, then out west off of St Mary's for another 2, and finally out at Starr Pass for the final 3 years.

I fell in love with Mexican food in Tucson, and still crave a lot of that now--El Charro and Mi Nidito were solid go-to's.

But to the OP--I would look at a spot near downtown, campus or the foothills. Also, Starr Pass is pretty incredible but several miles to downtown and 4th Avenue bars/restaurants. At least living downtown or near campus the area is super walkable/bike-able.

I really love the Tucson area, and if you don't mind the hot, long 6 months of summer, the winter is glorious weather.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Initially I was indeed looking around the Starr Pass area and near the foothills as the JW Marriot at Star Pass was where I stayed.

But then I thought about it. I want to be social danggit (at least a bit) since I'm 24.

How you think the parking situation is around campus/downtown in terms of apartment complex? I'd prefer to be in a gated place than say parking on the public street.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 PM

7,186 posts, read 10,489,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeJuanhere View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

Initially I was indeed looking around the Starr Pass area and near the foothills as the JW Marriot at Star Pass was where I stayed.

But then I thought about it. I want to be social danggit (at least a bit) since I'm 24.

How you think the parking situation is around campus/downtown in terms of apartment complex? I'd prefer to be in a gated place than say parking on the public street.
Sure thing, anytime.

Yeah, Starr Pass is phenomenal. I loved the evenings/night out there. The stars are just surreal and super clear to the west and south. But, it is about 5 miles to downtown, so not super convenient.

I think there are a few gated communities, but most offer their own lots or off street parking. Parking was tough on street to get closeby where you wanted to be on campus, but I didn't mind walking, so I would park far sometimes. I'd also bike to campus a lot. Biking is pretty big in Tucson in general.

When I visited last in 2016, there seemed to be a much better amount of bars/restaurants catering to the young professional, non-college crowd. I love the Congress Hotel, Tap Room and Club Congress, which are all still there as hotspots to hit.
Tucson nightlife has sort of a wild west, rustic flair to it if you know where to go. I had a heckuva good time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson