U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 AM

694 posts, read 684,608 times

Advertisements

Top story, front page of the Arizona Daily Star, Sunday 21 Jul. May be interesting in view of building I-11 through Avra Valley.

Quote:
New housing, retail planned as far west as metro Tucson can go

By Gabriela Rico Arizona Daily Star Jul 20, 2019 Updated 8 hrs ago
https://tinyurl.com/y5xfsz6h

The booming housing market in the Tucson area has now reached the farthest west end of possible development.

Developers are planning thousands of new homes next to Ryan Airfield, near Ajo Way and Valencia Road — the farthest west that can be built out in Pima County before bumping up to state trust land.

On the south side of the intersection is a 1,200-acre site owned by two developers with plans for residential, multifamily, retail and office space.

Homebuilders are already active northeast of that intersection, and KB Home has lots under construction just east of Ryan Airfield.

“We expect continued growth in this submarket as buyers are being drawn to the area’s affordability, with prices in the $170,000s and its commuter-friendly location and proximity to amenities,” said Amy McReynolds, president of KB Home Tucson division.

The new and planned homes are drawing more retail to the city’s southwest.

New retailers have been moving into the shopping center west of Interstate 19 on Irvington Road and a regional grocer will be setting up shop on Irvington, just east of I-19.

At Ajo Way and Kinney Road, development continues on a retail center that already includes tenants such as Dairy Queen, Cricket Wireless, Domino’s Pizza and Subway, said broker Jeff Kost with Glenwood Commercial Real Estate.

The Circle K at the intersection recently closed in preparation to be razed for a bigger store with a gas-pump canopy, he said.

O’Reilly Auto Parts is developing a store nearby, and several homebuilders are interested in land around the intersection, which is underserved by restaurants and other retail, Kost said.

“In our opinion,” he said, “a grocer would do very well at this intersection.” (Continued)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 08:52 AM

7,796 posts, read 5,172,779 times
More sprawl. Great

Old 07-21-2019, 07:29 PM

308 posts, read 169,344 times
Thank you, Wilma. There seems to be very little civic planning, just build a lot of houses and serve them with a Dairy Queen and a Domino's Pizza.

And yes, I would hope they disclose plans for the I-11 nearby. The name I-11 is more innocuous sounding than referring to it by its prior name, the CANAMEX Transportation Corridor, a controlled access transcontinental corridor linking Mexico to Canada. Parts of it are already complete coming down through Nevada (look on Youtube) so yes, it is coming. The public comment period ended July 8th, with very few people attending most of the meetings. I did read that Sahuarita is now opposed to its path because of its proximity to residential areas.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:48 PM

491 posts, read 662,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post

And yes, I would hope they disclose plans for the I-11 nearby. The name I-11 is more innocuous sounding than referring to it by its prior name, the CANAMEX Transportation Corridor, a controlled access transcontinental corridor linking Mexico to Canada. Parts of it are already complete coming down through Nevada (look on Youtube) so yes, it is coming. The public comment period ended July 8th, with very few people attending most of the meetings. I did read that Sahuarita is now opposed to its path because of its proximity to residential areas.
I read that article today about the sprawl out to Ajo that is coming. So what exactly does "controlled access" mean? I thought it was going to be more like the 10? So it won't have exits then?

Old 07-22-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
"controlled access..."
Hi, Roberta! That's just the technical term for what we call freeway or interstate, as opposed to surface streets with complete access. So it will be like I-10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled-access_highway

Old 07-22-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Sahuarita is now opposed to its path because of its proximity to residential areas...
After I saw the topic article front page yesterday, it seemed clear to me that I-11 through Avra Valley is thought to be a done deal. I remember in Phoenix they actually cut through South Mountain park -- leveled part of South Mountain:

Quote:
State moving ahead with freeway cutting through South Mountain
Mar 1, 2007
https://tucson.com/news/state-and-re...1a42d498c.html

Despite state and local laws prohibiting freeway construction on mountain preserves without public approval, transportation officials don't plan to ask voters before leveling a portion of South Mountain to complete Loop 202 in the Phoenix area. (Continued)

When I first heard about the possibility of I-11 years ago, there was an option on the table to bring it behind the Catalinas like through San Manuel and go east like through Reddington to join I-10 and then go to the Mexican border at one of the towns east of Nogales. At that point, I knew Tucson could not let that happen; that we had to be a part of I-11 and not bypassed. (Sometimes I wonder if the east side plan was put in place just to scare us into taking one of the Tucson options. It worked.)

The Port of Tucson at the very least had to be included in it; that's a feature that is destined for a future in the region. So I was for one of the options to bring it through Tucson and not east of Tucson at the very least. And that is also why Chuck Huckleberry is for the Avra Valley option. I guess we never felt like double-decking the I-10 would ever happen. It's like rehabbing an old house: everybody would rather build new.

The good business arguments people make for keeping I-11 together with I-10 through town are very interesting, though. Nobody would want the foment that's happening in downtown to stop due to siphoning traffic away from downtown. I hope people get together and make this argument very loud. Not just because I like the parks, but because it may be the strongest argument and make the most sense.

But at this point, I'm getting resigned they could cut through Avra Valley. On the east side, I-10 already cuts immediately south of Saguaro National Park East and the county's Colossal Cave Park and Cienega Creek natural preserve. There already is development smack up against Saguaro NP East. So that is a longtime fact.

And if I-11 cuts between the Ironwood Forest park (name not even on google maps now), at least west of Ironwood there is only public land, as yesterday's article says, somewhat like how Saguaro NP East has a lot of public land. Don't know what is happening with Ironwood Forest, whether it was officially delisted or just in limbo after our two former Senators backed away from it.

I'm now retired, and we are slowly putting together our snowbird plans and eventual relocation to Tucson, so I never have stopped following the local news. Always fascinating to me.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 AM

308 posts, read 169,344 times
The Port of Lazaro Cardenas is the largest deep-water seaport in Mexico. The I-11 will transport those goods north from the Mexican border at Nogales, up I-19 if that's the route that is chosen. There was an article in Forbes years ago when the Port was being built, about how it hopes to overtake Los Angeles and Oakland as the destination port for goods from China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_o..._C%C3%A1rdenas

Old 07-23-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The Port of Lazaro Cardenas...
That's very interesting; thanks! I knew the Mexican Navy was enjoying a good reputation, and from the History section in this article, that may be one of the reasons. Will be following that situation. Interesting it could be good for Chicago. We may be keeping the house here as well, depending on my husband's work situation. His family is nearby, so it would make sense.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:04 AM

3,402 posts, read 8,547,206 times
Quote:
The Port of Lazaro Cardenas is the largest deep-water seaport in Mexico. The I-11 will transport those goods north from the Mexican border at Nogales, up I-19 if that's the route that is chosen. There was an article in Forbes years ago when the Port was being built, about how it hopes to overtake Los Angeles and Oakland as the destination port for goods from China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_o..._C%C3%A1rdenas
That port city is in the state of Michoacan, 1400 miles south of Nogales. It is 26 hours of driving time by car, longer by truck. The rail connections from Lazaro Cardenas don't connect well going north to AZ, but mostly heading east and northeast towards central Mexico and to Texas. It doesn't make sense for goods to or from AZ to use that port. The ports at Guaymas, Sonora or Topolobampo, Sinaloa are the only two on the Gulf of California in Mexico that make sense for AZ goods, since they have decent rail connection going north to Nogales. Also, the overland distance is a fraction of what it is to Lazaro Cardenas.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The rail connections from Lazaro Cardenas don't connect well going north to AZ...
Yes, I noticed the following yesterday when checking out the article references, but didn't have a chance to capture and post. The Kansas City of Mexico rail line goes to Kansas City, of course. The memorandum originates with the Port of Long Beach and is entitled, "Competitive Factors for US Midwest Markets"

Here's a map uploaded to Wiki in 2006 from FerroMex at this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Mexico

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson