U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 09:13 AM

3,424 posts, read 7,688,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Maybe the person was referring to valley fever, as you suggest.

"Valley fever is a fungal infection caused by coccidioides (kok-sid-e-OY-deze) organisms. It can cause fever, chest pain and coughing, among other signs and symptoms."

"Two species of coccidioides fungi cause valley fever. These fungi are commonly found in soil in specific regions. The fungi's spores can be stirred into the air by anything that disrupts the soil, such as farming, construction and wind."

"The fungi can then be breathed into the lungs and cause valley fever, also known as acute coccidioidomycosis (kok-sid-e-oy-doh-my-KOH-sis). Mild cases of valley fever usually resolve on their own. In more severe cases, doctors prescribe antifungal medications that can treat the underlying infection."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20378761
I caught Valley Fever last year, no fun. Went from doing backcountry hikes in the Grand Canyon and running trail races to being stuck in bed for 6 weeks with a high fever and pneumonia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 06:31 PM

4,254 posts, read 9,896,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
In the Tucson area there is a LOT of vegetation and there are serious pollen seasons. Evaluate before you buy.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all but is there anywhere where this isn't the case? I ask because since moving to AZ I have developed sinus allergies and I'd love to know where they would be better.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:41 PM

4,254 posts, read 9,896,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantcackalackian View Post
This city is fantastic! Period.
What are the things you like most about Tucson?

Old 09-23-2019, 11:24 PM

3,934 posts, read 4,903,669 times
I copied down the following for my notes about potential relocation cities, a while back:
Some asthmatics may do better in Tucson than in Phoenix and Yuma, where mold counts are higher.
This was the source url, but the link is now dead:

http://allergy.peds.arizona.edu/southwest/moving.html

Although:

https://peds.arizona.edu

is still active.

I don't know what that says about the information.

(Personally, I would not consider Tucson over Albuquerque, since it has a higher raw pollen score than Albuquerque, at least for the years I averaged out for both cities. I have a very severe mold allergy, but my pollen allergies are bad enough as well.)

Old 09-24-2019, 12:02 AM

15,177 posts, read 26,019,791 times
Before relocating to the Tucson area, I was taking Claritin approximately 60 days a year in the Spring and Fall months. I have not taken it since arrival.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 AM

132 posts, read 226,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Before relocating to the Tucson area, I was taking Claritin approximately 60 days a year in the Spring and Fall months. I have not taken it since arrival.
Just the reverse for me. I occasionally had a bit of nasal problems in the spring time in Minneapolis. Moved to Mazatlan and no allergies. Things were fine here in Tucson the 1st year or so for me and my wife. Now everytime the wind kicks up, I have scratchy eyes, low grade fever, runny nose. etc, I take 2 allergy pills per day year around. When I'm at the dog park, the majority of my neighbors exhibit the same.
Still, you don't have to shovel allergies or scrape them off your windshield.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:29 PM

3,934 posts, read 4,903,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2farsouth View Post
Still, you don't have to shovel allergies or scrape them off your windshield.
Maybe you're allergies just aren't that severe. It's the associated fatigue that is the worst part for me. I would take snow over allergies, any day, if it meant regaining my energy. (I don't think moving to Minneapolis would help me, however.)

Old 09-25-2019, 09:42 AM

132 posts, read 226,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Maybe you're allergies just aren't that severe. It's the associated fatigue that is the worst part for me. I would take snow over allergies, any day, if it meant regaining my energy. (I don't think moving to Minneapolis would help me, however.)
LOL, "I would take snow over allergies, any day", "(I don't think moving to Minneapolis would help me, however.)" come on, if you're gonna talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk. 5 or 6 months of winter and grey skies sort of grows on you. I mean, it can only get soooo cold.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:18 PM

5,844 posts, read 4,293,251 times
You all have given me much to think about.

One of the things that prompted me to move to Arizona from Minnesota was when I visited, all of a sudden I could breathe freely.

I lived in Minnesota most of my life and dealt with allergies on a daily basis, the pollen in the spring, summer and fall, the dust from being closed up in the winter.

So breathing freely felt wonderful...and new. There are a couple of plants that kick in allergies but whatever they are, it never lasts long.

I am so happy to be out of the cold and snow but think that I may like Tucson better than where I am. I do plan on visiting soon to see if I like it.

But I am seriously allergic to mold and mildew. This thread has me confused because some say their allergies are bad and others aren't bothered. I guess I will just have to visit and see for myself.

What part of town has the least allergy potential? If anyone can even gage that.

Also, apartmentnomad, it's not so much the snow as it is the freezing winds and the ice beneath the snow and the many, many months of dreary cold weather. Sometimes you don't see the sun for many days.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:24 PM

3,424 posts, read 7,688,599 times
There are different air monitoring stations that provide the details in real time: Envista - Air Resources Manager

Generally crappy air and pollution roll downhill, especially in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson