U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 07:11 PM

522 posts, read 1,446,066 times

Advertisements

You can get mold anywhere. All it needs is a warm and damp place.

I am allergic to mold and it was terrible in Chicago. It doesn't bother me here in most places. However, we looked at a house for sale recently and it wasn't that old but it had been damp and I could smell the mold. One of the structures was hay bale construction and to me it would have needed to be demolished to get rid on the mold smell.

Mold penetrates anything porous like wood and drywall. And it wouldn't be possible to remove it from hay.

But in general there is very little here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 02:05 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,183,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2farsouth View Post
LOL, "I would take snow over allergies, any day", "(I don't think moving to Minneapolis would help me, however.)" come on, if you're gonna talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk. 5 or 6 months of winter and grey skies sort of grows on you. I mean, it can only get soooo cold.
During last January's polar vortex, here in SE MI, the wind chill was minus 38. Actual degree temps in northern Minnesota and N Dakota at the end of Jan 2019 during the vortex were minus 48. Wind chills were minus 65. Records were broken all over the northern US, midwest and east. Chicago hit minus 24 degrees. Minneapolis hit minus 33 degrees. Personally, I"m done with winter!

Old 10-06-2019, 03:20 PM

47 posts, read 33,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
What are the things you like most about Tucson?
Well first of all, adventuregurl, we relocated here from the Myrtle Beach area to get away from the horrible, scary, devastating hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods. The average annual precipitation in Tucson is about 12 inches per year. Last year in Calabash we had ONE HUNDRED AND TWO INCHES. Just try to imagine that and the effect that it would have on your property, your lifestyle, your state of mind, and your neighborhood. In October of 2016, we had 29 inches of rainfall IN TWENTY FOUR HOURS! Many of the homes around us flooded. It does not take 2 feet of flooding in your house to destroy it. It might only take two inches. Imagine the cost for repairs.
Now, in Tucson, I get to worship the blue skies and sunshine virtually EVERY SINGLE DAY. I absolutely love it. It took wifey and me about 2 or 3 weeks to get acclimated to the heat. We arrived here at the PEAK OF SUMMER HEAT on June 18th. It was over 100 degrees every single day for a month. Beats the hell out of the weather back in the swamp. I get to play tennis or go hiking in the magnificent Catalina foothills every day. The wildlife is fascinating. The cacti are magnificent. The people are so darn friendly and kind it is mind boggling (mid-westerners, mostly, and Tucson natives). Groceries are much much fresher and tastier and way less costly than in Myrtle Beach. We live very close to the areas where they are grown! The nearest Interstate highway from Myrtle was OVER TWO HOURS DRIVE AWAY. Here it is 10 minutes away. The restaurants are all over the place here and they are fantastic. In Myrtle they were almost all mediocre chains and it was a very very transient (golfer/beachgoer) patronism. It seemed they just wanted you to eat and get out right after they turned you upside down and shook the money out of your pockets. The crime rate was also much higher there than it is here in Tucson. Check the demographics and you will understand why. Tucson has everything we need or want; Myrtle Beach area had many things we simply hated.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:05 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,183,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantcackalackian View Post
Well first of all, adventuregurl, we relocated here from the Myrtle Beach area to get away from the horrible, scary, devastating hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods. The average annual precipitation in Tucson is about 12 inches per year. Last year in Calabash we had ONE HUNDRED AND TWO INCHES. Just try to imagine that and the effect that it would have on your property, your lifestyle, your state of mind, and your neighborhood. In October of 2016, we had 29 inches of rainfall IN TWENTY FOUR HOURS! Many of the homes around us flooded. It does not take 2 feet of flooding in your house to destroy it. It might only take two inches. Imagine the cost for repairs.
Now, in Tucson, I get to worship the blue skies and sunshine virtually EVERY SINGLE DAY. I absolutely love it. It took wifey and me about 2 or 3 weeks to get acclimated to the heat. We arrived here at the PEAK OF SUMMER HEAT on June 18th. It was over 100 degrees every single day for a month. Beats the hell out of the weather back in the swamp. I get to play tennis or go hiking in the magnificent Catalina foothills every day. The wildlife is fascinating. The cacti are magnificent. The people are so darn friendly and kind it is mind boggling (mid-westerners, mostly, and Tucson natives). Groceries are much much fresher and tastier and way less costly than in Myrtle Beach. We live very close to the areas where they are grown! The nearest Interstate highway from Myrtle was OVER TWO HOURS DRIVE AWAY. Here it is 10 minutes away. The restaurants are all over the place here and they are fantastic. In Myrtle they were almost all mediocre chains and it was a very very transient (golfer/beachgoer) patronism. It seemed they just wanted you to eat and get out right after they turned you upside down and shook the money out of your pockets. The crime rate was also much higher there than it is here in Tucson. Check the demographics and you will understand why. Tucson has everything we need or want; Myrtle Beach area had many things we simply hated.
Sounds like you made a great move! I'm in Michigan and seriously looking at Tucson for the rest of my retirement. Tired of snow and Florida isn't for me (too humid, hurricanes, too transient). What part of Tucson did you settle in? I'll be renting to start. Any recommendations on neighborhoods?

Old 10-22-2019, 12:47 PM

47 posts, read 33,945 times
We have not been here long enough to really be familiar with all of the neighborhoods but I can say this about that; we are renting in a small, very clean, very quiet, very safe neighborhood several blocks North of River Road which seems to define well the City of Tucson and the glorious foothills of Tucson. It is absolutely a wonderful, convenient-to-everything location. Like every city I have ever been to, the further "up the hill" you live, the more expensive it is and the better the quality of life, in my opinion. The suburbs, Oro Valley and Marana are also extremely inviting.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:49 PM

5,874 posts, read 4,345,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all but is there anywhere where this isn't the case? I ask because since moving to AZ I have developed sinus allergies and I'd love to know where they would be better.
Have you tried local honey? I do still have allergies here in Arizona, just not as bad as when I lived in Minnesota, and when I invested in local honey, yes it is pricier, they went way down again. Small, small price to pay.

Give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson