Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 01:34 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

I was talking with a friend about retiring to the desert southwest, and he mentioned that mold can be a problem. I don't know if this is accurate. I usually associate mold problems with the Pacific Northwest or the South due to the high humidity. Is mold/fungus a problem in Tucson? In houses or apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 07:21 AM

100 posts, read 176,844 times
Well, allergies to molds and fungus are an issue here for some people, but not as big an issue as other places I think. A large shelf fungus has grown on a desert broom shrub right outside my front door in the last three years. I've seen enormous shelf fungus on trees in Himmel Park. My house has a lot of moss on the ground on the north side. When I was house shopping twenty-five years ago I went into a house which was so moldy I could only walk in ten steps and had to turn around and leave. The agent tried to badger me into going back in. I think carpet cleaned by a rental machine caused that.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:45 AM

757 posts, read 837,253 times
There is no mold crisis in Tucson. If you have poor ventilation and dampness then you can have mold anywhere. I would avoid having wall to wall carpet wherever you settle. You are right to consider what area of the country best suits your health. The SW has its pros and cons like anywhere else. In the Tucson area there is a LOT of vegetation and there are serious pollen seasons. Evaluate before you buy.

Best of luck.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:31 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I was talking with a friend about retiring to the desert southwest, and he mentioned that mold can be a problem. I don't know if this is accurate. I usually associate mold problems with the Pacific Northwest or the South due to the high humidity. Is mold/fungus a problem in Tucson? In houses or apartments?
Tucson is not perfect, Xz2y . . . however, "a Mold Problem?"

That "status" falls right behind a "Bug Problem" . . . neither exists compared to most, if not all other areas in the U.S.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:10 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Maybe someone was referring to "valley fever"?? It is a sort of fungus that can remain dormant in the soil, then get churned up by wind or excavation at a construction site. This is one reason why construction sites always have water trucks to try and minimize dust clouds. If you breath these fungus spores, they can get into the lungs. I am not an expert on this, but I have known of a handful of cases.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:52 PM

196 posts, read 212,885 times
Im happy to read this. I moved to SC a few years ago. I'm allergic to literally 15 different types of mold. We plan to check out Tucson in the fall for possible relocation.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Maybe someone was referring to "valley fever"?? It is a sort of fungus that can remain dormant in the soil, then get churned up by wind or excavation at a construction site. This is one reason why construction sites always have water trucks to try and minimize dust clouds. If you breath these fungus spores, they can get into the lungs. I am not an expert on this, but I have known of a handful of cases.
Maybe the person was referring to valley fever, as you suggest.

"Valley fever is a fungal infection caused by coccidioides (kok-sid-e-OY-deze) organisms. It can cause fever, chest pain and coughing, among other signs and symptoms."

"Two species of coccidioides fungi cause valley fever. These fungi are commonly found in soil in specific regions. The fungi's spores can be stirred into the air by anything that disrupts the soil, such as farming, construction and wind."

"The fungi can then be breathed into the lungs and cause valley fever, also known as acute coccidioidomycosis (kok-sid-e-oy-doh-my-KOH-sis). Mild cases of valley fever usually resolve on their own. In more severe cases, doctors prescribe antifungal medications that can treat the underlying infection."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20378761

Old 07-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
There is no mold crisis in Tucson. If you have poor ventilation and dampness then you can have mold anywhere. I would avoid having wall to wall carpet wherever you settle. You are right to consider what area of the country best suits your health. The SW has its pros and cons like anywhere else. In the Tucson area there is a LOT of vegetation and there are serious pollen seasons. Evaluate before you buy.

Best of luck.
Great advice. Thanks! I would not want WTW carpeting any place I lived, but especially in a desert or hot climate.

Yes, pollen can be a problem all over the country. Every area has its "pollen season." From what I've read, some people adapt to a new place and the new pollen, others develop allergies or some even move. It's hard to know in advance how someone would react to certain pollen in a given area.

Yes, I would rent before buying. Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:36 PM

47 posts, read 48,908 times
Default Bye bye swamp! Hello Sunshine!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post
Im happy to read this. I moved to SC a few years ago. I'm allergic to literally 15 different types of mold. We plan to check out Tucson in the fall for possible relocation.
My wife and I finally left the "swamp" (Myrtle Beach area) a few months ago after dealing with floods and hurricanes and general mediocrity for over 11 years. Moving to Tucson was the best thing that has ever happened to me since my marriage to my wonderful wife 28 years ago. This city is fantastic! Period.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:43 PM

720 posts, read 995,065 times
I don't see mold as a problem here. I was back east about a month ago and rented a house near the beach. The mold was so bad in there I could hardly stand it. You could could smell it. I was so glad to be back here in the dry air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson