Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:43 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrtnsMom View Post
This is just cracking me up. I too am another transplanted NY/Long Islander (grew up in Ozone Park/Howard Beach then moved to Plainedge LI) l iving in Oro Valley.

I so love everything about Tucson except 2 things
....the drivers, yes on the cell phone, all over the road are the worst, worse then Florida,and thats pretty hard to beat
....and the food. I am so dying for a real Pizza. Not Mama's, thats cardboard with sauce and fake cheese, not Magpies, Peter Piper or Sgt Pepperoni, I want REAL PIZZA with fresh Buffalo Mozzarella and San Marzano tomato's ....so far the best I have found is Basha's and the Sports Park on I10 and Ina.
Dont even mention Sasso's...I called to order a pie and she said do you want an Apple brown sugar cinnimon? I said no cheese.....she said on a pie???? I hung up on her, I never laughed so much in my life....

Were catching a flight back to NY tomorrow and wont be landing until 10:45 NY time...then straight from Islip Airport to New Park Pizza in Howard Beach for a real Sicilian or Grandma pie...not a Pizza.......a plain old pie.

Merry Christmas everyone.
I'm surprised that people from the NY/NJ area would find AZ drivers THAT bad- if they are any worse than they are here in NJ, then I should probably be very afraid

I was talking about the food thing with my sister the other night- I take so many things for granted here in NJ, like pizza, bagels, and stuff like that, and it's going to be weird to not just go anywhere and get that stuff (well, like I'm used to here). I think I'm going to love living out there, but those little things are going to take some getting used to for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 07:39 AM
JPM JPM started this thread

4 posts, read 16,065 times
Default I think I know a place

I think I might have found a place here with good pizza and subs. I am not sure if I can use the name but it is La Madrina on Oracle. The pizza was good and the chicken parm sub was very good. They actually toasted the bread perfectly so it wasn't a soggy mess when it was served to you. The decor is pure late 70's NY. It was like stepping back in a time machine. ...the only thing it was missing was the Asteroids video game....I enjoyed it thoroughly.....But I do have a similiar pie story...the people at work asked me to chip in to get some pies for lunch from Mama Callender ??? or something like that.....So as I handed my money over I said we at least need one sausage pie.....They looked me funny and said they would be getting a couple of apple and one blueberry....I am still learning I guess..but I did get a good laugh....

Old 12-23-2006, 09:38 AM

163 posts, read 824,368 times
ChrtnsMom. Hi I left a message about a pizza place , try it, for out here its good.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:42 PM

10 posts, read 34,776 times
Unhappy The pizza...

Hello all! I am also back on LI (Syosset, NY to be exact) with my family for the holidays while I am off from work. Ohh...I miss the pizza so much. Luckily I get a couple of weeks off from work in the summer and go and spend it with a friend who has a beach house in Montauk. We eat good, true New York pizza at least twice a week so I can get my fill before going back to Tucson. You'd think with all these NYers here, we could get one who knows how to cook a good pizza, and would open a restaurant but I guess not yet. Oh well, I'm just going to enjoy my time in NY and eat lots and lots of pizza...Hope everyone enjoyed Christmas and is looking forward to new year's!
Matt

Old 12-28-2006, 09:59 AM

10 posts, read 38,200 times
Drivers just about everywhere are horrible in different ways. I don't find Tucson particularly special in that regard. I'd rather drive here than New Jersey, where I'm from originally. People may drive badly, but they're not nearly as aggressive.

As for pizza, I actually kind of like Mama's, but only that really insanely large pizza because only then is the crust the right thickness. Brooklyn pizza downtown on 4th isn't bad; you might try that. You're not going to get quality New York pizza anywhere but New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut, unfortunately. I took for granted that there were "pizza parlors" on every third street corner in New Jersey. No such equivalent exists out here. Even Mama's is a sellout, with their unnecessary polished brass.

There are a few decent Italian delis in town, but none of them are close to me up here in Marana. Buffalo milk mozarella can definitely be found, but you'd have to make your own pizza, and that's not something I know how to do!

Old 12-28-2006, 05:49 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,810 times
Default Pizza

I think some of the problem with finding good pizza in other states isn't just about not knowing how to cook it right, but mostly because you can't get the good ingredients like you can in NY, NJ, CT, PA, etc. I think there is also something to do with the water and the crust. I know it sounds weird, but my family is full Italian from CT and when they moved to CA, they would whine about the Italian food all the time and I remember my grandma always complaining about you couldn't find good cheese and the water made her crust taste bad.....I was born/raised in CA, so I didn't quite get it until I was older and started going back east to visit family and eating the good stuff. On a side note, I am sure all the passengers on the plane sitting near my grandma had to ask to move their seats because she started flying back with a cooler packed with cheese and pepperoni. The smell was bad picking her up from the airport, so I don't even want to know about the plane ride!

Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 PM

27 posts, read 175,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAZ View Post
Hello all! I am also back on LI (Syosset, NY to be exact) with my family for the holidays while I am off from work. Ohh...I miss the pizza so much. Luckily I get a couple of weeks off from work in the summer and go and spend it with a friend who has a beach house in Montauk. We eat good, true New York pizza at least twice a week so I can get my fill before going back to Tucson. You'd think with all these NYers here, we could get one who knows how to cook a good pizza, and would open a restaurant but I guess not yet. Oh well, I'm just going to enjoy my time in NY and eat lots and lots of pizza...Hope everyone enjoyed Christmas and is looking forward to new year's!
Matt
We got back from NY on Saturday and we already started craving NY style pizza...we went to Brooklyn Pizza Company on 4th Ave by the UofA.
It was pretty good, actually excellent for Tucson. Their garlic knots were great too....

Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 31,856 times
Ok I have heard so many people complaining about the drivers in Tucson - but I have also noticed that all the posts were in Winter Bird season! They drive me NUTS! Driving their winnebegos in the fast lane at 35 miles an hour!

I'm sure you'll see a difference when they all clear out - unfortunately they don't - as this is such a perfect little city - not such a well kept secret anymore!

Missing Tucson! sniff sniff!

Oh yeah - welcome all you New Yorkers

Last edited by Desert Bloom; 01-25-2007 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-16-2007, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,648 times
Try Mario's Pizza on 1st and Fort Lowell. I'm from the Bronx, and it's the only place I'll go ...

Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 PM

164 posts, read 845,507 times
Default ny food

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrtnsMom View Post
We got back from NY on Saturday and we already started craving NY style pizza...we went to Brooklyn Pizza Company on 4th Ave by the UofA.
It was pretty good, actually excellent for Tucson. Their garlic knots were great too....
just returned from az and couldnt wait to eat chineese and pizza, i guess we nyers are spoiled with the best food in the world. will miss it but my thighs wont, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson