Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Is Fioritto's pizza on Grant Road still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 32,328 times
Default Sassos

Im not sure when the reviewer went to sassos, we went there yesterday and were absolutely amazed.

I know a good pizza, san marzanos, fresh mozz, basil, they had all of the above, the crust was like that i used to get at my neapolitan place in NY.

I inquired with the server who said it was under new ownership and in the middle of changing.. I will be going here often.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 PM

522 posts, read 1,569,119 times
Funny, I didn't notice much in bad drivers when we were there. (August) Nothing compared to the western Chicago suburbs. You don't know about people running red lights until you see semi-trucks do it an streets posted at 45 MPH and actually driving 55-60. It's very common here. (North Ave./RT64 west of 355) It's more than a few seconds. Try after everyone ihas been stopped anf the left turn traffic is already going.

We found it very pleasant driving in Tucson.

As for Pizza, NY and Chicago pizza I believe cannot be made anywhere else. I don't really see why. Maybe the recipes begin to erase the further you get fron each city. I don't think the water is an issue because you could easily use a Reverse Osmosis system and have pretty much the same water. (we have a DuPage County well water that is brown from iron) We use RO and our pizza is just fine. I think it is the ingredients that are used more than anything. I once had "Authentic Chicago Style" pizza in Estes Park CO. that had bleach white soft crust, hot dogs for sausage and ketchup for sause, it was discusting!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,103 times
Greetings from the great state of Ohio! (NOT) My wife and I are looking at the Tucson area to relocate. We live in N.W. Ohio and are so sick of the unstable weather, and the lack of sunshine. We were first interested in the Phoenix/Queen Creek area due to the inexpensive housing costs, but the heat there sounds to be a bit too much. We are checking the Tucson area and like what we see. We want a smaller town near the Tucson area. We like the looks of Casa Grande. I am an outdoors guy; mainly fishing, hiking, camping, and some hunting; but we would also like to be close enough to shopping, malls, etc, say within a half hour drive. Can anyone recommend a town? Or how does Casa Grande fit into that? Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfish View Post
Greetings from the great state of Ohio! (NOT) My wife and I are looking at the Tucson area to relocate. We live in N.W. Ohio and are so sick of the unstable weather, and the lack of sunshine. We were first interested in the Phoenix/Queen Creek area due to the inexpensive housing costs, but the heat there sounds to be a bit too much. We are checking the Tucson area and like what we see. We want a smaller town near the Tucson area. We like the looks of Casa Grande. I am an outdoors guy; mainly fishing, hiking, camping, and some hunting; but we would also like to be close enough to shopping, malls, etc, say within a half hour drive. Can anyone recommend a town? Or how does Casa Grande fit into that? Thanks for any advice.
Well, Can't say as I know much about Casa Grande but it lloks to me like the temps there will be pretty much identical to Phoenix. If want a bit cooler, you may want to consider Benson (pop around 5,000 or so). It's about 45 minutes or so from downtown Tucson (when traffic is light) and maybe about 40 minutes or so down to Sierra Vista (pop around 42,000) and has a much milder climate because it's at 3,500 feet rather than the 1,500 feet or so that Casa Grande sits at. From the weather charts I've seen, Casa Grande looks like it peaks around 105 or so for the average daily high, while Benson peaks around 95.

IF and WHEN the Passages of Tucson Mall ever goes in at Vail, major shopping will be about 20 minutes away from Benson, in the meantime, Benson has a brand new Walmart and both Tucson and Sierra Vista have a fairly wide variety of shopping options.

As I've said many times on this board, I thnk that (aside from coastal areas of So Cal) SE Arizona has the best climate in the continental US. I have land at J-6 outside of Benson and with the help of an online weather station 300 yards from my land I can see hourly weather stats going back nearly 4 years.

Here's the averages:

Jan 59/37
Feb 62/41
Mar 67.50
Apr 74/50
May 85/60
Jun 92/71
Jul 91/71
Aug 86/68
Sep 85/63
Oct 78/54
Nov 68/45
Dec 60/37

Since we are at 4,200 feet vs Benson's 3,500 feet, we are a couple of degrees cooler. Sierra Vista is pretty close to our temps - with areas slightly to the west of town probably a bit cooler (higher up) and areas east of town warmer (slightly lower).

Anyway, you may also want to consider Vail (summertime temps are similar to Tucsons' in that it looks to top out around 100 for the warmest average daytime highs). Not much shopping there (yet) but it's about 20 minutes closer in to Tucson than Benson is.

Just something to consider.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-27-2008 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 03:53 PM

522 posts, read 1,569,119 times
musicfish, you kind of sound like us. Most of the time I have spent in Arizona has been in Phoenix and it is too hot. Tucson is just enough cooler to be comfortable. We think it is a nice cross between big city and small town plus it is very beautiful. (contrary to what some say) We love it there. All that is holding us here in IL now is the state of housing. We were planning to move this summer. But we need to ba able to sell our house to be able to move.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 PM

42 posts, read 147,565 times
Tucson for the most part is a laid back place, its the New Yorkers that come here with a fast pace that ruin it !! ( my opinion )

Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,103 times
Thanks everybody for your comments; they were helpful. My wife and I are planning a visit to the area in August. I have checked home prices there and they seem reasonable. I have other questions if anyone can give me input. Are there any lakes, or fishing, etc.? We like the water. I am an avid fisherman and there seems to be few lakes there, unless I'm missing something. By the way, the weather here is in the high 30's low 40's and raining, which is the way it is most of the time. The weather here really doesnt shape up till June, and then there's the rain and humidity of summer. Pretty much sucks. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfish View Post
Thanks everybody for your comments; they were helpful. My wife and I are planning a visit to the area in August. I have checked home prices there and they seem reasonable. I have other questions if anyone can give me input. Are there any lakes, or fishing, etc.? We like the water. I am an avid fisherman and there seems to be few lakes there, unless I'm missing something. By the way, the weather here is in the high 30's low 40's and raining, which is the way it is most of the time. The weather here really doesnt shape up till June, and then there's the rain and humidity of summer. Pretty much sucks. Thanks!

Umm....this is the desert and the southwest. I'm pretty certain lakes are few and far between. I think there are areas....but I'm certain that it's nothing like where you're leaving.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Patagonia lake is one that comes to mind. Not a huge lake but big enough for fishing and a bit of boating. A bit of a drive from anywhere though.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson