U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 843 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to get some insight about hybrid(heat pump) Water Heater.

I have 11+ yrs old Rhreem Fury (electric) 50 gal water heater in the garage.

This came with 6 yrs warranty and far passed its warranty period. It is working fine for now but thinking about replace the unit for more precautionary reasons.

I'm wondering is it better to replace this unit with hybrid water heater or stick with traditional electric water heater.

I got price quote from Lowes installation and they will charge Water heater cost + $399 for the installation.
TEP is offering $400 rebate for Hybrid water heater installation right now.

My questions are

How reliable these heat pump unit? I see mixed reviews and not much long term review about hybrid water heater. How often do you have to deal with repair etc...

How long will it take to pay back its self for the unit? I'm paying average of $120 Mo for the electricity.
I'm planning to turn this house for rental unit with in 5yrs.

Will it cool down the garage enough so that I dont need put additional AC unit it in the garage? I was thinking about putting mini-split AC in the garage (got quote for mini-split AC,$1800)

Who makes the best water heater regardless of hybrid or non-hybrid?

Thank you very much for your advice

TT
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 07:03 AM

293 posts, read 68,800 times
Hybrid or non Hybrid it depends on how you want your heat pump to be?On fuel? On electricity ? or both so you can change the source. Hybrid heat pump does not provide cooling. Ductless electric heat pump provides cooling and yes if you install it it will provide both heating and cooling.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:47 AM

7 posts, read 2,931 times
My take on your questions:

1. They are less reliable than a standard electric water heater, but it's not clear how much less because of things that affect water heater life. Hybrids do have moving parts that a standard water heater does not.

2. $399 seems high for a water heater installation given that you will already have wiring to the final installation site in your garage. It should be a 1 hour install.

3. No, a hybrid cannot take the place of an air conditioner in your garage. When the tank reaches temp a hybrid stops cooling air.

4. Despite these shortcomings I think we all have a responsibility to use as little electricity as possible, so, yes, you should still consider buying one if you can afford it.

5. In Tucson it should easily pay for itself.

6. I know some guys that work at Rheem's engineering lab and were involved in the design of their hybrid. I know it to be a well-designed unit. Rheem has a lot of production history with hybrids and sells them to utilities in countries where the utility owns your water heater.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:01 AM

7 posts, read 2,931 times
I'll take back what I said about the 1 hour installation. I was just reminded of the need to install air ducting.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:43 PM

344 posts, read 548,751 times
We replace ours every 10 years. They make one heck of a mess when they explode. Our garage was flooded 5 years ago when we forgot.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 843 times
Got a great rheem 50 gal hybrid water heater deal at HD over thanksgiving week and finally got it installed.

Got installation quote from few licensed installers from $800 to 900.

My friend helped me to install the unit in the garage (watched how to professionally install the unit from youtube). Parts from HD was about $200. Re route water in/out from top to side. It took about few hours to install.

Water heater is set to 120F and 2 adult and 1 child in household.

I used about 95kWh for the December (~3.8 kWh a day)

My garage is insulated and feels cool when this unit is on. Average garage temp is 60F.

Old Today, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 843 times
heater is set to 120F, Energy saver mode
Jan: 114.95 kW (~3.7 kWh a day) Ave garage Temp 58.5 F
Feb: 87.03 kW (~3.1 kWh a day) Ave garage Temp 62.7 F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: