U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2019, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Sitting Pretty, USA
204 posts, read 93,427 times
Reputation: 364

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Oro Valley or Green Valley next year. Would like to rent a 1400 - 1800 sf house in a quiet, well-kept neighborhood for under 1500. per month, plus utilities. Is this possible? Also, do the two areas differ very much? Is one area "better" than the other? The rental would be for myself, a retired, solvent woman, no pets, children, or grandchildren to be living with me. The natural beauty of Arizona and a safe, quiet, well-kept neighborhood are my two priorities. Thank you for any opinions and advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2019, 01:13 PM
 
3,623 posts, read 8,226,054 times
Reputation: 4607
I live a stone's throw away from Oro Valley and we really like it for the most part. We still telecommute to Phoenix, so we can get to our offices downtown in under two hours. On the weekends if we want to visit friends or shop in Phoenix it's 90 minutes.

Almost everything we need is in Oro Valley, just head down the hill into Tucson twice a week to go to Costco and other short shopping trips.

I'm biased, but if I had to choose it would be Oro Valley or NW Tucson.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2019, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,313 posts, read 10,259,542 times
Reputation: 3951
If it's of any consequence, Oro Valley was ranked #2 in safest cities in AZ, Green Valley wasn't mentioned in the top 40 (unless it's included in Tucson which was #40 but I doubt they'd separate out one and not the other).
https://backgroundchecks.org/safest-...XUaEXbtl-t5Y6o
I'm not sure if you can find something in your price though. Craigslist might give you some idea.

I'd choose Oro Valley too, I LOVE it! It has amazing views, lots to do, and is very convenient with great shopping.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2019, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
24,722 posts, read 13,661,999 times
Reputation: 21257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiomatic View Post
I'm considering a move to Oro Valley or Green Valley next year. Would like to rent a 1400 - 1800 sf house in a quiet, well-kept neighborhood for under 1500. per month, plus utilities. Is this possible? Also, do the two areas differ very much? Is one area "better" than the other? The rental would be for myself, a retired, solvent woman, no pets, children, or grandchildren to be living with me. The natural beauty of Arizona and a safe, quiet, well-kept neighborhood are my two priorities. Thank you for any opinions and advice.
I think Oro Valley is fantastic and good for all ages. Green Valley is cheaper and good for retirees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2019, 05:13 PM
 
3,623 posts, read 8,226,054 times
Reputation: 4607
Our subdivision is just barely outside of the Oro Valley city limits, so all the amenities of OV without some of the taxes. A few sections of our development are smaller 2-3 bedroom homes and when I cut through walking my dog those blocks are chockfull of retired people and lots of older women living on their own.

But don't know what the rental market is like around here, looks like most people own their homes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 12:23 AM
 
15,470 posts, read 26,938,544 times
Reputation: 22892
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
If it's of any consequence, Oro Valley was ranked #2 in safest cities in AZ, Green Valley wasn't mentioned in the top 40 (unless it's included in Tucson which was #40 but I doubt they'd separate out one and not the other).
https://backgroundchecks.org/safest-...XUaEXbtl-t5Y6o
I'm not sure if you can find something in your price though. Craigslist might give you some idea.

I'd choose Oro Valley too, I LOVE it! It has amazing views, lots to do, and is very convenient with great shopping.

Green Valley is an unincorporated area of Pima County and therefore, would not be included in any such statistics. Sahuarita, the town that borders Green Valley is #7 on that list. Neither is a great hotbed of crime like you seem to imply.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,313 posts, read 10,259,542 times
Reputation: 3951
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Neither is a great hotbed of crime like you seem to imply.
I wasn't implying anything - just showing some stats. I have no idea about crime rates in Green Valley - other than a friend who used to live there told me she didn't like the fact that illegals were in her yard using her hose ever night - I'm sure that could happen in Oro Valley too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 12:32 PM
 
3,623 posts, read 8,226,054 times
Reputation: 4607
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I wasn't implying anything - just showing some stats. I have no idea about crime rates in Green Valley - other than a friend who used to live there told me she didn't like the fact that illegals were in her yard using her hose ever night - I'm sure that could happen in Oro Valley too.
People clandestinely using hoses at night in Oro Valley is probably not going to happen. Oro Valley is very safe, almost too safe. The police have nothing better to do than pull people over for the most minor of infractions. Had an elderly family member get pulled over for doing a "granny turn" into a shopping center.

Plus between the Pima County Sheriff's Department and the Oro Valley PD there is little to no homeless or sketchy people hanging around. Both departments will actively encourage homeless people to relocate over the Tucson city line.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Sitting Pretty, USA
204 posts, read 93,427 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Our subdivision is just barely outside of the Oro Valley city limits, so all the amenities of OV without some of the taxes. A few sections of our development are smaller 2-3 bedroom homes and when I cut through walking my dog those blocks are chockfull of retired people and lots of older women living on their own.

But don't know what the rental market is like around here, looks like most people own their homes.
I plan to rent for a year, to look around and get the lay of the land, so to speak, then purchase a home. I think it's going to be Oro Valley. As an elderly woman, I'd like the area to be safe, above all else. Also, Oro Valley has some STUNNING views of the mountains, with beautiful, hilly parks and walks in close proximity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 PM
 
Location: West of the Catalinas East of the Tortolitas
4,923 posts, read 7,859,328 times
Reputation: 8021
I'm a 67 year old widow who moved to Oro Valley after my husband died. We had a home in the mountains of Colorado, and a "snowbird" condo east of Oracle Rd. in Oro Valley. I had sold our home in Colorado for the convenience of our condo to stores, doctors, the hospital, and so on. I eventually sold the condo as it was becoming difficult to manage stairs and an inconvenient parking space with no garage, and bought a home, still in Oro Valley. I live on a cul-de-sac with mostly older couples, but a few families and single, older women as well.

Oro Valley has about 50K residents and is really a suburb of Tucson. You can't tell where OV ends and Tucson begins. Because of that, just about anything you could want in the way of shopping, malls, outlet stores, grocery stores, restaurants, movie theaters, doctors, hospitals, trails, a State Park and more are within 20 minutes of Oro Valley. Within a mile of me is the Oro Valley Hospital, Safeway, Fry's (Kroger), Oro Valley Marketplace and Cineplex, Target, Wal-Mart, all major chain restaurants and fast food and much more. The Oro Valley police department is very proactive. Since there's relatively little crime (shoplifting, theft from unlocked vehicles, family issues mostly), and over 100 officers for the population, you'll often see 2-3 officers responding to a traffic stop. But if you need them, response time is less than three minutes. Golder Ranch Fire Department also has many substations around Oro Valley, so their response time is less than three minutes as well.
Here's a link to the Oro Valley town website:
https://www.orovalleyaz.gov/



Green Valley is quite a distance south of Tucson, about 20 miles on I-10/I-19. It has all the amenities, but is a town in and of itself for the most part, but the city of Sahuarita is a few miles north for more variety. It's also closer to the casinos.



You might try looking in the Sun City area of Oro Valley. It's on the north end of OV and mostly retired persons, with houses around 1500 sq ft. Most are two bedroom, two bath with a nice sized yard. Sun City has a golf course, community center with every activity, class or experience you can imagine. There's even a Sun City Posse that drives through out the area on golf carts "patrolling" to promote safety. It's a fantastic, active, close-knit, 55+ community! Here's a link to Sun City.
https://suncityaz.org/


I'd suggest contacting a realtor as many of the large agencies also do property management for rental homes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top