Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2019, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 2,226 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are active seniors who love the outdoors. We are possibly interested in Oracle for our next move from central Arizona. Would love to know your opinion on pros and cons of the place - why we should move there or why we shouldn't. Also, I have allergies and wonder if there are RX burns that happen often near the area, such as at Mt. Lemon, etc. TIA for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 06:09 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
I go hiking and trail running around Oracle on a fairly regular basis. The pros are that it's cooler than Tucson, a thirty minute drive from my house in Oro Valley has me in temps that are twenty degrees cooler to start for summer training.

The downside is that it is a bit off the beaten path. Your grocery options that I can see when I drive through are a Dollar Store and two Circle K's. The town of Catalina is 15-20 minutes away and then you have the option of an over priced Basha's grocery store. You'll probably be driving into Oro Valley to stock up on everything, which is 30 minutes away.

I don't know enough yet about the Medicare system, but I vaguely recall on another forum posting last year that it might be problematic to find a doctor in Pinal County vs going down the road to Pima County.

The locals I've bumped into on the trails always seem nice. However the couple of times I've driven around scouting out places to hike and park my car I did pick up a vibe that Oracle is a place that people like to be left alone.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:07 PM

720 posts, read 995,896 times
I love Oracle.

But I would not want to live there. It is a lovely town, with many artists. I think the reason for all the artists are that is it the home of Rancho Linda Vista. An old cattle ranch which became an artists cooperative in the 1970's and is still an active arts community now. In fact there is a wonderful exhibit at Tohono Chul right now showing the work of some of the original founding artists as well as some artists who are newer to the ranch. Across the road from Oracle is another amazing art and sculpture park called The Triangle L Ranch. I have a few pieces of mine in there now. Every spring they have Open Studios up there and it is just lovely.

I do remember last spring being up there for Open Studios and I was kind of cold. They can even grow irises there! I have a friend who lives there and she had 5 inches of snow over Thanksgiving this year. As I say, it is very beautiful and filled with art! But I would not want to live so far from the grocery store. For me that is the downside. (Oh and the cold). I am one of those people who likes to be able to run out and buy one or two things if need be.

I think that the back road to Mount Lemmon is up there as well but that is not a very good road unless you have a 4 wheel drive or a jeep or something. I have heard that parts of it are quite treacherous.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:35 PM

402 posts, read 686,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I go hiking and trail running around Oracle on a fairly regular basis. The pros are that it's cooler than Tucson, a thirty minute drive from my house in Oro Valley has me in temps that are twenty degrees cooler to start for summer training.

The downside is that it is a bit off the beaten path. Your grocery options that I can see when I drive through are a Dollar Store and two Circle K's. The town of Catalina is 15-20 minutes away and then you have the option of an over priced Basha's grocery store. You'll probably be driving into Oro Valley to stock up on everything, which is 30 minutes away.

I don't know enough yet about the Medicare system, but I vaguely recall on another forum posting last year that it might be problematic to find a doctor in Pinal County vs going down the road to Pima County.

The locals I've bumped into on the trails always seem nice. However the couple of times I've driven around scouting out places to hike and park my car I did pick up a vibe that Oracle is a place that people like to be left alone.
Indeed the folks would like to be left alone. Be Western and ask if it's ok to park someplace that might be someone's property before you do. That's the polite thing to do.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:13 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
Indeed the folks would like to be left alone. Be Western and ask if it's ok to park someplace that might be someone's property before you do. That's the polite thing to do.
I'd never even think to park on anyone's land. Nothing wrong with people wanting to be a tad bit off the grid and left to their own devices, if I wasn't married I'd probably join them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson