U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 08:16 PM

3,038 posts, read 5,659,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I like the idea of GV being a retirement community. Prescott is too expensive and snowy for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money, so I don't even know if I can swing AZ at all, but I'm going to check it out anyway.

I asked once about the barred windows as that bothered me, but I can't remember what I was told. What you say makes sense though. I would want them removed for safety purposes, at least safe from a house fire and an escape route.

Where you lived is quite a ways from GV, isn't it? I actually had also considered Sierra Vista, but it's kind of far off the beaten track.
Sierra Vista is just about 70 miles SE from Tucson. Just so you know.
The town was very small and nearly dead when Viet Nam fired up starting in 1966 when I got drafted.
The town has really grown and moderized since then. It is a miltary type town with the soldiers there bt you might find it cheaper than GV.

Here are the monthly averages in GV:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gree...hrome&ie=UTF-8

And here is SV for reference: https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usaz0214

If you live in otwn like I think you want to, you will not have any problems to speak of with illegals. Just don't live rurally SE of town on acerage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 08:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 5,659,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
In my opinion, the bars on the windows are most likely on older homes. I do not think one has to worry about illegals much these days right here in town. It is not like there are hordes of illegals roving through the community. I have not found crime to be a major issue in the 6+ years I have lived in Green Valley.

The Sierra Vista area is very nice and has the Huachuca Mountains as a back drop, but you are correct, it is a bit off the beaten path....probably an hour and a half from Tucson.

All the best on your visit, I hope you love the place and find a home you can be happy with!!!
Try 1 hour from Tucson, driven it many times.
And a few years back when I looked at Green Valley the homes with bars on the windows were pretty new.
By the way, I did a search for populations as I was curious. GV has some 22K while SV has 43K.
And if you like Wal Mart, they have one of 6 Mega Wal Marts in the nation. Bring your walkig shoes, the main store is 43 acres if I remeber correctly

Last edited by keninaz; 12-09-2019 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-10-2019, 12:16 AM

7,594 posts, read 7,176,463 times
Like in the South Park cartoon - the Megalow Wal*Mart.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:02 AM

20,279 posts, read 23,818,816 times
I could never live in GV, and my only envy, it would shorten my drive to Nogales. In fact, I have to run down there next week hoping my magician Dr. down there can do a replay except with throat gland issues this time.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:44 AM

723 posts, read 529,806 times
If you are considering relocating and your budget is tight, I suggest you focus more on Sierra Vista. It has everything and even has a local bus system. Bear in mind that there are illegals across the nation as well as legals such as refugees. Illegals from Mexico want to move where they can work so hanging around Southern AZ isn’t a goal. Another possibility is living in an adult mobile home community. There are some very near Tucson Medical Center. They are clean and affordable for many. Tucson is a busy place but there is a lot to do. All depends on lifestyle you want.

The list you gave won’t do much for you regarding moving here. Just geography or tourist stuff. All depends on your goals.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:07 AM

683 posts, read 497,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Activities are great, but I wouldn't want to be bogged down with them as I really do like my alone time, too.
Hey, I resemble that remark! ;-) This is the great thing about the city data forums, you get varying opinions and do not hear just one side of a subject. Coming to visit is the best possible thing you could do. Nothing like seeing these places for yourself to help you decide where you want to be!

I actually moved to Green Valley 6 years ago without ever seeing the place in person. I used google earth and "drove" around. My wife came twice to check out the place and find a house. She did a great job, we have a nice place with a spectacular view of the Santa Rita mountains. All I really wanted was the sun! Yes, it is hot in the summer, but hey! it is southern Arizona!

Old 12-10-2019, 02:20 PM

5,296 posts, read 12,228,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Sierra Vista is just about 70 miles SE from Tucson. Just so you know.
The town was very small and nearly dead when Viet Nam fired up starting in 1966 when I got drafted.
The town has really grown and moderized since then. It is a miltary type town with the soldiers there bt you might find it cheaper than GV.

Here are the monthly averages in GV:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gree...hrome&ie=UTF-8

And here is SV for reference: https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usaz0214

If you live in otwn like I think you want to, you will not have any problems to speak of with illegals. Just don't live rurally SE of town on acerage.
That's one draw to SV, the somewhat cooler weather but as I mentioned before, living in Texas for 41 years, I can handle heat. Well, Phoenix heat I have no interest in whatsoever.

Like Bart, I do a lot on google maps 'driving' around until I get out there and can see for myself. There are some pretty sketchy areas in SV and that's a turn off.

Hey, you got drafted the year I graduated from high school. That was a sad time and a lot of the boys I went to school with, unfortunately, did not return home.

I'm wanting to downsize, really, and have less yard to maintain so unless I find my prince (kidding, there aren't any), I don't want to handle acreage.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark! ;-) This is the great thing about the city data forums, you get varying opinions and do not hear just one side of a subject. Coming to visit is the best possible thing you could do. Nothing like seeing these places for yourself to help you decide where you want to be!

I actually moved to Green Valley 6 years ago without ever seeing the place in person. I used google earth and "drove" around. My wife came twice to check out the place and find a house. She did a great job, we have a nice place with a spectacular view of the Santa Rita mountains. All I really wanted was the sun! Yes, it is hot in the summer, but hey! it is southern Arizona!

Yes, and having so many people come to one's community is not pleasing to me right now. I can't wait to visit, booked my flight, and reserved a room in GV for two nights. I have an old friend who lives in San Tan Valley (just moved there in October), so she's going to check it out with me.

I've seen your place on your videos ... so nice!

I wouldn't want to buy a house without checking it out in person, but you had your wife to do that, so that's great. My friend in STV had her son check it out (he's in Gilbert), so she bought it sight unseen, too.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
If you are considering relocating and your budget is tight, I suggest you focus more on Sierra Vista. It has everything and even has a local bus system. Bear in mind that there are illegals across the nation as well as legals such as refugees. Illegals from Mexico want to move where they can work so hanging around Southern AZ isn’t a goal. Another possibility is living in an adult mobile home community. There are some very near Tucson Medical Center. They are clean and affordable for many. Tucson is a busy place but there is a lot to do. All depends on lifestyle you want.

The list you gave won’t do much for you regarding moving here. Just geography or tourist stuff. All depends on your goals.

Good luck.
I can't do mobile homes, just can't. Actually, SV isn't all that inexpensive. In fact, I think I can do better in GV, just can't have exactly what I want, but not bad. But, when I visit, I can clear my mind one way or another.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We recently took a trip to look at GV as well as Oro Valley, Vail and Sierra Vista. We like OV the best but it's also the most expensive. We definitely like SV, it's a bit off the beaten track as you note but there's decent shopping there. GV we liked also but just not sure about living in a purely retirement town.

One thing we particularly liked about SV was better air quality and wife has asthma so this is a huge issue for her.
I've looked online at Oro Valley and really liked what I saw. I found a mobile home park (even though I can't do mobile homes) and it was reasonable, even with the HOA fee. But, they only take service animals and I have a dog. Plus, I'd have to really don't think I could live in one. I don't know; they just bug me.

Sahuarita is nice, too, but their HOA fees are out of my price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson