U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 02:33 PM

20,650 posts, read 21,441,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Try 1 hour from Tucson, driven it many times.
And a few years back when I looked at Green Valley the homes with bars on the windows were pretty new.
By the way, I did a search for populations as I was curious. GV has some 22K while SV has 43K.
And if you like Wal Mart, they have one of 6 Mega Wal Marts in the nation. Bring your walkig shoes, the main store is 43 acres if I remeber correctly
Ken, I seriously don't think it's 43 acres and no Mega Walmart but thousands of Super Walmarts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 06:52 PM

723 posts, read 529,806 times
In regard to mobile homes which are not really mobile, bear in mind this part of AZ has mostly stable weather conditions. Climate is why you live in AZ. We don't have hurricanes and blizzards etc. We can get some pretty good winds but nothing like you'd endure in TX. Phoenix had several tornados in the Queen's Creek, San Tan area but such is very rare indeed. If I were on a budget, I'd definitely occupy a "mobile" home as long as I was assured it could be cooled adequately.

Good luck on your visit.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:30 AM

5,296 posts, read 12,228,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
In regard to mobile homes which are not really mobile, bear in mind this part of AZ has mostly stable weather conditions. Climate is why you live in AZ. We don't have hurricanes and blizzards etc. We can get some pretty good winds but nothing like you'd endure in TX. Phoenix had several tornados in the Queen's Creek, San Tan area but such is very rare indeed. If I were on a budget, I'd definitely occupy a "mobile" home as long as I was assured it could be cooled adequately.

Good luck on your visit.
Thank you. I just don't like them and I have taken into consideration that they won't blow away in AZ as they could in TX. Maybe when I'm out there, I'll check them out, but they just don't seem well made, kind of skimpy, I guess.

So, maybe I'm thinking of the older ones and not the modular. Is that what you mean?

Old 12-11-2019, 05:45 AM

20,279 posts, read 23,818,816 times
You can get these "mini-isolated-tornadoes" in AZ. Very interesting to watch. You can be sitting in your front porch, and you look across the street, and the trees are bending, gravel & sand flying here and there, and it doesn't touch your property at all. I observed one of these across the street from my home in Phoenix one time.

In my 55+ community in Central Tucson, some time ago, one of these mini-tornado's split a double wide trailer in half, no other homes effected. I've also heard of 2 members here, where their car ports were ripped back like a banana being peeled.

In my 55+ community, referred to as the Best Kept Secret in Tucson, there's no homes for sale, and there's people door knocking here to see if anyone knows of a house for sale, or an upcoming sale. Too many that view mobile homes and think of just poorer people living there. The longer I live here, the more people I talk to, I'm now realizing there's a lot of money in this community.

One new arrival, she sold her paid off home in Denver for $450k, had an old trailer removed from a lot here, and hauled in the biggest double wide the community would allow, all to the tune of $250k. The type of people that live here wouldn't consider living in GV for one second!

Old 12-11-2019, 06:21 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,015,104 times
Patagonia is quite nice, if you can afford it..Rio Rico is worth a look..they call the far eastern part of Rio Rico, Riogonia..some of the homes have a pair view. Either one gives you access to Walmart and home Depot in nogales, and lots of fun stuff across the border...green valley people are down there every day. Tubac is upscale, but just not convenient...but if you want a sterile how, retirement graveyard..GV is pretty nice, with much better climate than Phoenix, but not as nice of the cooler climates of the aforementioned places. You might be surprised how safe nogales is...I remember parents complaining that their kids learned about gangs in the DARE program, otherwise, there was never a gang problem down there. The cops might be the least of your worries, if you are some punk in a gang down there.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:47 AM

7,594 posts, read 7,176,463 times
How is the ferret doing, tijlover?

Old 12-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You can get these "mini-isolated-tornadoes" in AZ. Very interesting to watch. You can be sitting in your front porch, and you look across the street, and the trees are bending, gravel & sand flying here and there, and it doesn't touch your property at all. I observed one of these across the street from my home in Phoenix one time.

In my 55+ community in Central Tucson, some time ago, one of these mini-tornado's split a double wide trailer in half, no other homes effected. I've also heard of 2 members here, where their car ports were ripped back like a banana being peeled.

In my 55+ community, referred to as the Best Kept Secret in Tucson, there's no homes for sale, and there's people door knocking here to see if anyone knows of a house for sale, or an upcoming sale. Too many that view mobile homes and think of just poorer people living there. The longer I live here, the more people I talk to, I'm now realizing there's a lot of money in this community.

One new arrival, she sold her paid off home in Denver for $450k, had an old trailer removed from a lot here, and hauled in the biggest double wide the community would allow, all to the tune of $250k. The type of people that live here wouldn't consider living in GV for one second!
Heck, even wind can knock around a mobile home. Dang, I hope you don't get those mini-tornadoes often.

No, it isn't that I think of poor people living in them, but I'm definitely stuck on some kind of an aversion toward them.

So, why wouldn't the type of people who live in the 'best kept secret in Tucson' not consider living in GV? It's that amazing, huh?

And, isn't the crime really high in Tucson? Or and the summers are hotter there, too, than GV, but definitely not as bad as PHX.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Patagonia is quite nice, if you can afford it..Rio Rico is worth a look..they call the far eastern part of Rio Rico, Riogonia..some of the homes have a pair view. Either one gives you access to Walmart and home Depot in nogales, and lots of fun stuff across the border...green valley people are down there every day. Tubac is upscale, but just not convenient...but if you want a sterile how, retirement graveyard..GV is pretty nice, with much better climate than Phoenix, but not as nice of the cooler climates of the aforementioned places. You might be surprised how safe nogales is...I remember parents complaining that their kids learned about gangs in the DARE program, otherwise, there was never a gang problem down there. The cops might be the least of your worries, if you are some punk in a gang down there.
I agree about the weather in the places you mentioned being better and I have looked on the web at all of those places, but kind of decided against due to them being so far out. But, when I'm there, I may decide to check them out anyway. Sierra Vista is on my list, too, but some of the areas there look pretty sketchy.

My friend who lives in San Tan Valley wants me to look in that area, but no way. I've been watching the weather in GV, Tucson, and Phoenix for a few years now and I'd die in PHX.

Please elaborate on this: but if you want a sterile how, retirement graveyard ... I think I know what you mean, but do tell.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:38 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,015,104 times
Sterile HOA, graveyard..My parents moved to one in 2000, moved out four years later, and are still alive and bought two non age restricted homes since. The people running the golf course was problematic...mostly because it hemoraged money and their attitude was that there was nothing they could do about it. I also think being around only old people made them kind of uncomfortable...that would be a concern with GV, but it is likely much better managed. The question is..how often will you need to go to Tucson? For me, only maybe 5-6 times per year...some commute daily, and that would be terrible. Some of the youngish teachers and border agents aren't ready to settle down in a semi rural area, and they end up leaving their jobs..especially the teachers. Grocery shopping is excellent down there. 5-10 billion pounds of produce crosses the border every year, and apparently about 1% of USDA beef was born in Mexico. Those in Tubac, mostly go to IGA in Rio Rico. I used to go to Tucson for Home Depot and Trader Joe's....they finally opened a home Depot in nogales, and Trader Joe's isn't as good as it used to be. I cooled with central evap,....much harder to do in GV. I also had city water and septic...septic turned out great, and being on a ridgetop lot was helpful...sewer is kind of high down there.

My front yard..about five miles east of the Ruby Road Exit 12 (12 km or 7.2 miles to the border), and about 6 miles the other way to Exit 17, and the IGA. I had 1.02 acres and a 3/1/2 car carport..paid 47,500 in 2001..but it needed quite a bit of work..
Attached Thumbnails
Green Valley Visit ... Tell me, tell me, tell me-screenshot_20191212-114006.png  

Old 12-12-2019, 05:08 AM

20,279 posts, read 23,818,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Heck, even wind can knock around a mobile home. Dang, I hope you don't get those mini-tornadoes often.

No, it isn't that I think of poor people living in them, but I'm definitely stuck on some kind of an aversion toward them.

So, why wouldn't the type of people who live in the 'best kept secret in Tucson' not consider living in GV? It's that amazing, huh? .
Most of the people who live here are convenience junkies like myself. There are a few who can't drive, so they take their electric wheelchairs 2 blocks to Fry's & Walgreen's or a block and a half to Trader Joe's, and there's 12 restaurants to choose from and TMC is walking distance. You really don't need a car here.

I moved here from Las Vegas a year and a half ago, and there's five of us, refugees from Las Vegas living here.

And you don't really need a car in GV as you're allowed to go just about everywhere in your Golf Cart. One daredevil in this community, amazingly, wheels right onto to busy Grant Road with his Golf Cart to ride the 2 blocks to Fry's.

Mobile homes are quite easy to rehab, like putting in new water pipes, as you merely crawl underneath the home. 2 of my neighbors moved in together, down the street, paid $45k for the double wide, and are pumping $40k into it with everything new, electrical, plumbing, new HVAC, you name it! So, really, they have a new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson