Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 12:47 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times

Advertisements

So, if all goes well, I have a trip scheduled in January to visit Green Valley. I have been looking at the area on the web for a few years now as a potential place to move to. I will only be there for two nights and plan to visit with a real estate agent as well as scope out the area during the allowed time. Maybe I can squeeze in another night, but just scheduled for two.

So, whomever would like to chime in and give me suggestions on interesting things to see, it would be appreciated. I don't have much of a chance to do, per se, since my main focus will be on seeing if that's where I want to plant myself before the final plant.

Should I like it, I plan to come back again and stay awhile to be sure it's the place for me.

I don't need to worry about the summers as I've lived in Texas for 41 years, so I can handle GV heat.

My list so far is:

Desert Meadows Park
Madera Canyon
Arivaca Lake
Patagonia Lake
Coronado National Forest
Tubac
Tucson (just to check out the drive from GV)

They're all within about 19 to 57 miles from GV with the exception of the first place. I probably won't get to visit all the areas in the short time I'm there, but perhaps a few of them.

Thanks, you guys!

P.S. I will be in AZ for a week, but have planned only two nights in GV.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 12-08-2019 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 01:03 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
When we looked at Green Valley to get out of the wind and heat of Hereford we noted that a lot of the homes had barred windows.
When I ask local resident why they were there it was "illegals" coming through the area.
We selected Prescott/Prescott area. Summers can hit 100° but it short lived and not common. Our normal highs in the summer are just under 90° as my elevation is 5100'
We do get a little snow here but most of it melts very quickly. Prescott on the SW corner where we used to live gets more than northern Prescott so you know. Prescott Valley, which ajoins Prescott, gets less snow. As an example we got an early snow on Thanksgiving that was 4-6" in PV but 7-12" in Prescott. We did get hit with a very unusual storm last Feb that gave us some 20" and that was on the ground for a few days.
We have some smaller lakes in this immediate area too and we are pretty close to Las Vegas too @ 250 miles it's a pretty quick trip with little traffic. Of course that will take you right by Lake Mead too if you need a bigger lake.
We relocated for both the heat and wind we had at the base of the Huachuca Mountains where our property was located but also because we were tired of being overrun by illegals and border patrol agents looking for them. They would come over or around the mountains and hide on our semi rural acerage trying to get to a desinated pickup point. They would turn your water on from your well and leave it on at times and if you had a low production well it could run dry.
Anyway, got tired of chasing them off the property or calling the border patrol to come pick them up. At one time they even told me "I could not hunt them". Just removing them from my property first thing in the mornings was all.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
When we looked at Green Valley to get out of the wind and heat of Hereford we noted that a lot of the homes had barred windows.
When I ask local resident why they were there it was "illegals" coming through the area.
We selected Prescott/Prescott area. Summers can hit 100° but it short lived and not common. Our normal highs in the summer are just under 90° as my elevation is 5100'
We do get a little snow here but most of it melts very quickly. Prescott on the SW corner where we used to live gets more than northern Prescott so you know. Prescott Valley, which ajoins Prescott, gets less snow. As an example we got an early snow on Thanksgiving that was 4-6" in PV but 7-12" in Prescott. We did get hit with a very unusual storm last Feb that gave us some 20" and that was on the ground for a few days.
We have some smaller lakes in this immediate area too and we are pretty close to Las Vegas too @ 250 miles it's a pretty quick trip with little traffic. Of course that will take you right by Lake Mead too if you need a bigger lake.
We relocated for both the heat and wind we had at the base of the Huachuca Mountains where our property was located but also because we were tired of being overrun by illegals and border patrol agents looking for them. They would come over or around the mountains and hide on our semi rural acerage trying to get to a desinated pickup point. They would turn your water on from your well and leave it on at times and if you had a low production well it could run dry.
Anyway, got tired of chasing them off the property or calling the border patrol to come pick them up. At one time they even told me "I could not hunt them". Just removing them from my property first thing in the mornings was all.
I like the idea of GV being a retirement community. Prescott is too expensive and snowy for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money, so I don't even know if I can swing AZ at all, but I'm going to check it out anyway.

I asked once about the barred windows as that bothered me, but I can't remember what I was told. What you say makes sense though. I would want them removed for safety purposes, at least safe from a house fire and an escape route.

Where you lived is quite a ways from GV, isn't it? I actually had also considered Sierra Vista, but it's kind of far off the beaten track.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:10 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times
In my opinion, the bars on the windows are most likely on older homes. I do not think one has to worry about illegals much these days right here in town. It is not like there are hordes of illegals roving through the community. I have not found crime to be a major issue in the 6+ years I have lived in Green Valley.

The Sierra Vista area is very nice and has the Huachuca Mountains as a back drop, but you are correct, it is a bit off the beaten path....probably an hour and a half from Tucson.

All the best on your visit, I hope you love the place and find a home you can be happy with!!!

Old 12-08-2019, 02:18 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I like the idea of GV being a retirement community. Prescott is too expensive and snowy for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money, so I don't even know if I can swing AZ at all, but I'm going to check it out anyway.

I asked once about the barred windows as that bothered me, but I can't remember what I was told. What you say makes sense though. I would want them removed for safety purposes, at least safe from a house fire and an escape route.

Where you lived is quite a ways from GV, isn't it? I actually had also considered Sierra Vista, but it's kind of far off the beaten track.
We recently took a trip to look at GV as well as Oro Valley, Vail and Sierra Vista. We like OV the best but it's also the most expensive. We definitely like SV, it's a bit off the beaten track as you note but there's decent shopping there. GV we liked also but just not sure about living in a purely retirement town.

One thing we particularly liked about SV was better air quality and wife has asthma so this is a huge issue for her.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post

First, the barred windows were part of the original design from the early 1960's until the late 1980's. If the house was built in that period, they had the bars. I removed mine in 2013 when I purchased the home and in my neighborhood of 130 townhomes only about 40% of the bars remain.

Second, MOST insurance companies want the bars gone. I know that my insurer asked for pictures to ensure that I removed them. For the record, most of the window bars had locks that would allow egress due to a fire, but who wants to be looking for the keys in an emergency.

Third, look at the demographics of Green Valley. Most of the people are retired and in my neighborhood, more than 50% are year around. Everyone of my neighbors has three numbers on their speed dial - Pima County Sheriff, The Border Patrol, and the Snake Squad on their phones. And they never hesitate to call if there is anything remotely suspicious. Last year, a couple of guys tried to set up a drug house in one of the HOAs. The sheriff's office had 60-70 calls ... in the first week. They were getting calls until the day that the place was raided.

As for illegals running all over the place, well when they do, they generally stick on mine property. If they head into Green Valley, don't think that they are going to stick out?

In addition to the neighborhood watches, there is a very active Sheriff's auxiliary that checks houses when you are out of town. You cann them up a week before you leave and let them know when you are gone. They patrol and make sure your property is secure. How effective are they? Twice, I have returned from a trip early ... and twice they have stopped by to see that it was us at home.

When I leave town, I never worry about my house being burglarized. Some of my neighbors are armed and would probably confront a thief. I am far more concerned with pack rats getting into my car.

However, since you are taking the time to visit, I would suggest that you pose that question to others. I doubt that they will answer it otherwise.

The ONLY time that I feel unsafe in Green Valley is in the Safeway parking lot from 8 am - 4 pm and that is due to senior drivers.

Old 12-08-2019, 04:38 PM

Thanks, all. Good information to behold.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:18 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
If you're the social type, then this is the place for you, numerous activities in which you can associate with people.

My cousin and wife just moved there and he's signed up for every activity available and she hasn't signed up for even a potluck, as she just stays home and reads book after book, doesn't care if she even meets the neighbors.

If you do move there, let's hope not all your neighbors are snow birds as it could get quite lonely for 6 months of the year or longer.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you do move there, let's hope not all your neighbors are snow birds as it could get quite lonely for 6 months of the year or longer.
I would just add that my observations tell me that more and more people are converting from snowbirds to permanent residents. Yes, a lot of people are still here part time, but I believe that is a smaller percentage now compared to when I moved here 6 years ago.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you're the social type, then this is the place for you, numerous activities in which you can associate with people.

My cousin and wife just moved there and he's signed up for every activity available and she hasn't signed up for even a potluck, as she just stays home and reads book after book, doesn't care if she even meets the neighbors.

Activities are great, but I wouldn't want to be bogged down with them as I really do like my alone time, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson