U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 05:59 PM

23,041 posts, read 42,167,281 times

Advertisements

Other places to consider are Canon City, Pueblo West and Pueblo in Colorado.

Colorado Springs might work too, it's way cheaper than Denver-Boulder.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 05:59 PM

22,937 posts, read 12,275,278 times
I've resisted posting on this topic but decided to go ahead. Yeah, Tucson is positioned to explode if a few things align such as better companies and a stronger work ethic. Otherwise, Tucson is well positioned to become "Boise'ed"....I do have questions about the human capital to match boise but they might...let's see.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:58 PM

4,278 posts, read 2,497,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've resisted posting on this topic but decided to go ahead. Yeah, Tucson is positioned to explode if a few things align such as better companies and a stronger work ethic. Otherwise, Tucson is well positioned to become "Boise'ed"....I do have questions about the human capital to match boise but they might...let's see.

So you think Tucson will either explode or become Boise’d? Is there a third option where it stays the same?

Old 12-13-2019, 07:08 PM

311 posts, read 443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So you think Tucson will either explode or become Boise’d? Is there a third option where it stays the same?

It's not staying the same. Look at home prices in Tucson over the last 3 years...up up and away....!

It's why I started this thread. I was shocked to see houses that we were looking at 8 months ago, now 10-20% higher in price.

There is a reason I cited Boise, other than it's the fastest growing city in the country. The fury over people who grew up there now not being able to buy a house concerns me. And we are not talking LA, SF or NY. The whole point of that article was that mid size midwestern towns are now becoming unaffordable. I live in DFW and good lord Almighty have prices exploded here in the last 3 years and with it rents. The younger kids I work with here who rent call it "rent-pocolypse". My property taxes in DFW went from $6k to 10k per year in just 5 short years. It's one of the reasons we are leaving. That and the weather in Texas is constantly trying to murder you.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:51 PM

22,937 posts, read 12,275,278 times
Quote:
Probably something in between. You have a crime element, drug culture, and low income element that Boise doesn't have so that is going to hold Tucson back. Still the natural beauty, climate and location mean growth is inevitable.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:54 PM

4,278 posts, read 2,497,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
It's not staying the same. Look at home prices in Tucson over the last 3 years...up up and away....!

It's why I started this thread. I was shocked to see houses that we were looking at 8 months ago, now 10-20% higher in price.

There is a reason I cited Boise, other than it's the fastest growing city in the country. The fury over people who grew up there now not being able to buy a house concerns me. And we are not talking LA, SF or NY. The whole point of that article was that mid size midwestern towns are now becoming unaffordable. I live in DFW and good lord Almighty have prices exploded here in the last 3 years and with it rents. The younger kids I work with here who rent call it "rent-pocolypse". My property taxes in DFW went from $6k to 10k per year in just 5 short years. It's one of the reasons we are leaving. That and the weather in Texas is constantly trying to murder you.
I haven’t been tracking real estate there yet. Why do you think it’s going up? I was hoping to move there before the locals hate Californians like Oregon and Idaho do.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:16 PM

3,419 posts, read 7,675,993 times
Just looked up my old house in Boise, I left in 2012 and the place was worth $225,000. Now (and I know it's Zillow) the same place is worth $357,000.

Currently live in a similar type neighborhood in Tucson and a house with the same square footage on my block would be roughly $300,000.

My take is a lot of these price increases are coming from California funny money. Sell a small house in California for $500,000+ and buy a house twice the size for half the price for cash.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:08 AM

20,284 posts, read 23,834,328 times
We're overdue for another economic recession, they seem to come around every 8-12 years, and, at 69YO, I've been through 5 of them, the worst being the last one. And then, down goes the housing prices but they may not get as low as they did in the last recession, but if you're patient enough, and wait for it to happen, you can buy 2 houses for the price of one.

I still haven't gotten over the "weirdness" here. "Weirdness": I have lived here all my life!

I've heard that so often it seems weird to me, having spent 22 years in Sin-Less city, where you hardly if ever hear that up there.

There must be at least one contingent of people moving here where the Mexican Border/pharmacias are one big reason for moving here, the underinsured, uninsured. In the last AARP newsletter, there was an article on the high price of drugs, and those running to Mexico for cheaper meds, and it mentioned buses that regularly go from both Phoenix and Tucson to the border and back. That was certainly one of my reasons for moving here!

Old 12-14-2019, 09:24 AM

311 posts, read 443,251 times
Quote:
I haven’t been tracking real estate there yet. Why do you think it’s going up? I was hoping to move there before the locals hate Californians like Oregon and Idaho do.

My wife and I have been tracking it very closely for about 1.5 years now trying to narrow down where we we are interested in moving too. It has not just risen, it has shot up. Bubble? Correction for years of being undervalued? Not sure. All I know is Tucson is a lot less affordable housing wise now then it was a few years ago when it first popped up on our radar. Having said that, it's still lower than just about everywhere else out west and lord knows we can not take one more year in Texas.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:03 AM

7,351 posts, read 4,578,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
All I know is Tucson is a lot less affordable housing wise now then it was a few years ago when it first popped up on our radar.
There will always be cheap places to live in Tucson, or most (not all) metroplexes for that matter, it's just that those places might not be as desirable for many people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson