U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:53 PM

311 posts, read 443,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
Since your move is only a few months away, which community did you decide on ???
Looks like Green Valley/Sahuarita area is where we will finally land. Just looks to have the best price to performance ratio we could find there. Truth be told, Dove Mountain was my favorite but just out of our price range for what we wanted to do. Was not impressed with Oro Valley.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 04:57 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,971,332 times
I get what the OP means, but that happened to Tucson decades ago. Indeed, maybe Boise is getting "Tucson'ed".

From what I've heard from a lot of retirees and semi retirees in the areas around PHX is that they've been inundated with Illinois refugees.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:50 PM

15,172 posts, read 25,992,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
From what I've heard from a lot of retirees and semi retirees in the areas around PHX is that they've been inundated with Illinois refugees.

There are several reasons why Illinois residents are more likely to choose Phoenix over Tucson:

1) Arizona State University recruits heavily in the Chicagoland area. I know a good number of high school graduates who came to Phoenix for college which equates to a good number of parental visits.

2) Spring training (which Tucson did not see as worthwhile) draws a good number of Chicagoans each year as all three Chicago area teams play in the area. Every year, I get calls to meet people for an afternoon in Tempe or one of the other parks.

3) The area around Phoenix has a lot of the amenities that most Chicagoans like - great stock of restaurants, groceries, and other shopping opportunities.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 AM

523 posts, read 1,078,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
The freeway system in Boise and Tucson are very similar, skirts the south side of town. So if you need to get across the north side of town you are stuck on surface streets (Ina/Sunrise in Tucson, State Street/Chinden in Boise).

Plus Boise has corporate headquarters that Tucson doesn't. That affects quality of life with charitable contributions from companies like Micron, Boise Cascade, Albertsons, Simplot, Winco and others.

Wages are similar though, when I left Boise to move to Phoenix I stayed in the same industry and got an immediate $20,000 raise plus better benefits.

I see people moving to Tucson to retire, telecommute and maybe land a job with the larger companies that are expanding. But it won't be anything like Boise. Both cities are great and I'd have to flip a coin to decide which one was better. I've lived in 6 different cities as an adult and bounced around another 4-5 growing up, along with traveling a lot for work. Tucson & Boise are the two favorites so far.

Tucson is blue, and Boise is blood red, those could be factors too.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:03 PM

3,419 posts, read 7,675,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Very true, the last presidential election I voted in Boise the newspaper gave a link to see how your zip code and your zip+4 voted. Pulled up my block and it went 90% against Obama.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:38 AM

9,845 posts, read 13,331,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
....and right on cue I stumble across this article...

Boise is #1 growth city in country....Tucson is #3.

Freaking wow.

I guess this answers my question.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...sts-2019-12-12

what happened to Austin Texas

Old 01-13-2020, 07:16 AM

If you read the article, it's young families, California residents and people getting jobs at the tech companies headquartered in Boise moving there. But for Tucson it's retirees and college kids. Completely different demographics.

My neighborhood here in Tucson is very similar to my old neighborhood in Boise. Suburban, but not a far flung suburb on the fringes and about the average price for the metro area. In Boise every third house on our street had kids under college age living in them and our block had one older retired couple living on it. Half my neighbors worked at the large HP facility a mile away or at other tech companies.

While here in Tucson, there is one family with kids in my section of our subdivision (one street and two cul-de-sacs with about 35 houses total) and my wife and I are the only people on my street that still work. Our kids are adults and out of the house. Four house in the past year in my section have been sold and all four were sold to retirees.

So some similarities between the two cities, but a different crowd moving to each one.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:55 AM

311 posts, read 443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
If you read the article, it's young families, California residents and people getting jobs at the tech companies headquartered in Boise moving there. But for Tucson it's retirees and college kids. Completely different demographics.

My neighborhood here in Tucson is very similar to my old neighborhood in Boise. Suburban, but not a far flung suburb on the fringes and about the average price for the metro area. In Boise every third house on our street had kids under college age living in them and our block had one older retired couple living on it. Half my neighbors worked at the large HP facility a mile away or at other tech companies.

While here in Tucson, there is one family with kids in my section of our subdivision (one street and two cul-de-sacs with about 35 houses total) and my wife and I are the only people on my street that still work. Our kids are adults and out of the house. Four house in the past year in my section have been sold and all four were sold to retirees.

So some similarities between the two cities, but a different crowd moving to each one.

No question the demo's are different, but for anyone looking to buy there it matters not. The prices in Tucson are going full Boise it would appear. Annoying, but it was only a matter of time before the country found out about it. It's pretty, the weather is good and there is a ton of stuff to do in Tucson. I guess we just suck it up and pay the price if we want to move there and hey...it will always be cheaper then SoCal LOL. (California disclaimer, we are coming from Texas!)

Old 01-13-2020, 09:06 AM

This is just a really rough price comparison between similar neighborhoods. But just looked up the recent sale price of my old house in Boise and compared the price per square foot to our recent appraisal in Tucson when we refinanced last month.

Boise was $124 per SF and Tucson is $125 per SF. Both neighborhoods similar in size of homes, age of homes (our old house in Boise was 4 years older than our home in Tucson), location in the metro area, proximity to shopping and other amenities.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:13 PM

2,928 posts, read 5,709,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Actually in the last presidential election, most of Boise's precincts (city limits) voted for Clinton, far from being blood red. Boise is mainly a blue city with a few red districts within city limits. The city counsel and the new liberal mayor are Dem and the city it self is rather liberal and loves the refugees and the very out and proud LGBTQ population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson