Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 PM

643 posts, read 2,053,304 times

Advertisements

I don't really want to put this with my camping thread 'cause it's kind of a different topic and I did a search, but couldn't find anything.

Can I drive my Honda Accord up Oracle Control Road with any success? It should be noted that I personally hate this car, though I don't want it to 'die'. I don't care if it gets paint chips or dirty, whatever, who cares. I don't, however, want it to get stuck in a ditch or have to turn around because the way is blocked by a huge rut or impassably downed tree.

I know it's a risk either way and my husband probably won't let me do it anyways, but I wanted to ask.

(P.S. If anyone wants to sell me their mid-80's to early 90's Blazer/Bronco/Jimmy, I can pay you in Kraft Mac N Cheese, smelly dogs and one '99 Accord.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 05:39 PM

18 posts, read 83,471 times
The road is unpaved and the conditions would not allow an Accord to drive up or down it. Something with four wheel drive or all wheel drive with a higher clearance would be sufficient, such as the vehicles you said you would trade for.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
stockholm is right.....while not at all a horrible road, the back way to Mt Lemmon is a bit bumpy, rutty, steep in some spots for a low-slung car like an Accord......it's sort of a long road, too....don't try it in the Accord

Old 08-11-2009, 08:49 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
I've never tried it, but I read in an Arizona Highway's magazine article that a 4WD vehicle raised off the ground is a must, as parts of the road have not been maintained since the road was first built many decades ago.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM

Yeah... That's kind of the general consensus.

Just because I'm a stubborn jerk, we're going to drive up the front side and see how far we can get down the back - as well as check out the Mt Bigelow dirt road (which is no doubt way better maintained and used as it services the radio towers).

Thanks, guys!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:25 PM

18 posts, read 83,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
Yeah... That's kind of the general consensus.

Just because I'm a stubborn jerk, we're going to drive up the front side and see how far we can get down the back - as well as check out the Mt Bigelow dirt road (which is no doubt way better maintained and used as it services the radio towers).

Thanks, guys!
You're just going to hurt your car which equals repairs and quite possibly a tow truck. Just Fyi. Accords don't have skidplates or anything to protect the underbody of the car. I just don't want to see you stuck and have to repair your vehicle.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM

That's sweet of you, Stockholm (no, really).

Do you think AAA will bail us out?

Really, I guess the confusion on my part is the difference between 'dirt road' and 'holycrapcrazy uncivilized road'. We'll find out - maybe we'll walk the road for a while. I bet most of the accessible pre-used camping spots are close to the start of it anyways. If not, we'll make do with the Mt Bigelow area.

So many possibilities - it's all up in the air!

And, for the record, I did try to convince my husband to swap his Grand Prix for a 4x4 (I would happily give him the Accord for a daily driver), but he didn't bite. Maybe next time.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:23 PM

JBJ.....if you DO start down the old road from the top (past the fire station), drive carefully and slowly....have a spare tire and the gear and knowledge to change it....you'll pass the Mt Bigelow Road before you get to the Control Rd turnoff on the right, so you could check it out quickly on your way to the old road....I hope you don't go too far down it as it is roughest in areas near the top....you may not find a pre-used camp site for a while as you head down, I think (may be wrong about that).....

good luck....

Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks, AZ Dr!

Just the insight I was looking for and, yeah, we'll stop at Bigelow first.

I just got this new camping junk while I was waiting for a tire to be replaced and ... I hate looking at it everyday! I want to go use it now!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
while I was waiting for a tire to be replaced and
hmmmmmm......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: