U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 10:45 AM

427 posts, read 533,499 times

Advertisements

Researching a move to a retirement community in the Tucson area later this yr.

I visited Quail Creek last month … liked it a lot but seemed a bit far from Green Valley shops and even farther from Tuc for a Costco or Whole Foods run. It's still on my list though.

OroValley looks good on paper... a bit bigger town. Look forward to checking it out later this month. Saw a home in Sun City Vistoso that really appeals. Any comments about Sun City Vistoso ?

There are only a couple of recent threads for Dove Mtn. High electric was a concern posted by a few people.
It seems like the Marana area is growing rapidly but Dove Mtn looks to be a bit removed. Any comments about Dove Mtn ?

I ruled out Saddlebrooke … seems too remote. Look forward to another visit in a few weeks, but any additional info would be appreciated. Thx !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 01:04 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,666,757 times
I live in the "no man's land" in between Oro Valley, Tucson and Marana. My subdivision isn't age restricted, but probably 75% of the people that live here are retired. I'm 10 minutes from Oro Valley and 10 minutes to the nearest Costco in Marana off of Thornydale. We've been here 18 months and for the most part really love it.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:51 AM

25 posts, read 13,395 times
saddlebrooke is in pinal county. i'd suggest remaining in pima county. reason i mention this is you will probably get better insurance coverage from a plan in pima than in pinal. i think every other place you mentioned is in pima. might want to check with whomever you plan to use to cover your insurance. also, it does get very hot in this area. so the higher elevations will pay off in july, august, september and part of october. might be the difference between a lot of days at 110+ and 95-100. the thing that really got me this past summer season, the 2nd hottest on record i read, is the number of days it was ~110 high and then ~86 at 3am. no relief. but, welcome.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:45 PM

Thanks. Yes, I'd heard that about medicare options in Pinal. Another reason to take Saddlebrooke off the table.
I'm coming from Las Vegas so I understand the summer heat.

Would love to hear comments about the retirement communities in Dove Mtn and Sun City Vistoso. But as I said, I'll be visiting again shortly so seeing them will make all the difference. And if they don't pan out, I'll just wait for the right house to become available in Quail Creek.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:20 AM

3,397 posts, read 8,541,988 times
My mother & stepfather lived in Sun City Vistoso for many years in the 1990s & 2000s. I visited them often and got to know the area well. The quality of the homes is OK, but nothing to rave about. Typical plywood & stucco boxes on concrete pad. Many were built in the 1980s and 1990s. At this point, depends if owners have done any upgrades in kitchen, bath, windows, etc on a particular home you might want.

Vistoso is a nice community, immaculate and well kept landscaping on the streets. The surrounding neighborhoods (outside sun city) vary from some typical suburban tracts to gated upscale like Bee Canyon. Most homes in Sun City Vistoso are well cared for, but the HOA can be picky too. Example, my mother got a letter to move a beautiful ceramic planter from the front porch because it did not have anything planted in it. Seriously?

I personally am not a huge fan of Oro Valley due to the often heavy traffic and long duration traffic lights on Oracle Rd. It is the only direct main street into the central part of Tucson. Oro Valley hangs out on the far north end of Tucson area, so if you like to explore all that the area offers, not exactly in the middle of things.

Why not rent in Tucson area for a year or so and spend that time getting to know all the areas much better? I never comprehend the rush to buy a home in an area where someone has never lived before. Huge risk of making a big and costly mistake.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:12 AM

311 posts, read 442,599 times
Yeah, I'll second the not a huge fan of Oro Valley. Not sure if wife and I had it built up in our minds, but honestly it's just one long super busy road with retail built on the sides. The mountains are pretty and all, but this is Tucson. You can go pretty much anywhere for pretty mountains. Also, it's proximity to the freeway is very far. Saddlebrook felt like it was in a galaxy far far away. We loved Dove mountain but it is $$$$$! We also like the suburban vibe of the Marana/Tucson area with all the restaurants. Just be careful to make sure you stay on the Tucson side...the Marana side has horrible water contamination issues.
Quail Creek is very nice but also a little remote, but too bad. Again though, it is pricey. We found that each area really had it's pro's and cons. You just have to choose which pro's or cons are most important to you.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:38 PM

@ recycled . Thx for your first hand perpective. I've read similar concerns about the construction of Del Webb homes. And yes, the traffic on Oracle is definitely a concern. It will be interesting to see the area for myself.

@katera. Thx for sharing your perspective as someone who's also home searching. Oro Valley appealed to me because of the proximity to the mtns but my realtor thinks I too have it built up in my mind ! She thinks I won't be as impressed when I see it for myself.

I look forward to my next visit in February !

Old 01-12-2020, 11:41 AM

522 posts, read 1,076,982 times
Good thread for variety of opinions. Also considering different areas of Tucson, Dove Mtn and OV have been at top of list. GV prices are much better but we have close connections to people in Phx so want to stay central Tucson or north.
Any more info on the status of utilities by area, especially the comment that DM has high electric rates? What about water in DM or OV?

Old 01-12-2020, 07:46 PM

311 posts, read 442,599 times
Dove mountain is little isolated, not like Saddlebrook or anything, but the grocery store is about 4 miles away. Something to look at if you are hardcore into having everything super close (like my wife lol). Still, we really like the vibe of Dove Mountain. Just know that the prices are a good 25-30% higher then the GV area.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 AM

96 posts, read 268,341 times
Just moved to Saddlebrooke and no problems with medicare coverage.
It is great. We compared to other communities in arizona and found the variety of amenities, with multiple restaurants, clubhouses and a giant performing arts theatre (symphonies, rock, Univ. of Az lectures)
The fees were also better in comparison to Saddlebrooke Ranch, along with better lot size, views, terrain. Watch out.. in some of them like the ranch there are additional hidden fees like mandatory food and beverage.
We also liked dove mtn and oro valley, but ultimately Saddlebrooke won out for everything it provides for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson