U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 09:51 AM

5,296 posts, read 12,228,307 times

Advertisements

This disturbs me, too. I am going to be visiting Green Valley next week for a potential full-time move and the mines are something on my list to check out and now with this report, it kind of discourages me. But, I will delve into it further when I get there.

P.S. Just looked online at photos of the GV mine dust and it's not pretty. Anyone living there during the episode below, how did it affect you? Or, how did the newer complaint of the mine dust affect you?

https://www.kold.com/2018/10/17/mine...st-complaints/

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 01-14-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh holy crap: my niece and her husband have just signed the papers on building a new house in GV. I hope they looked into this before hand This will be their "forever" home. As they are moving there after the house is built and they see the home they have lived in for 30 plus years. Of course they are moving from So. CA so grew up with smug. The part that bothers me about what you are saying is: I don't think they did much research before they purchased the new home.
Lots of people don't do their intensive research before moving to an area. I am one of them who moved from Burbank, CA to Texas. OMG! I'd love to go back, but can't. And, being from a smog area way back when, I certainly don't want to deal with dust. I knew about the mines and planned to check that out on my visit even before this new dust issue arose. Maybe all will be well for your relatives.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post

So here is the problem I see....this is never going to go away. I was shocked by just how large these mines were when we visited and what happens if the company that treated the mine tailings goes out of business or says, "that's it, we are done dealing with it..."? The community is left to deal with it themselves. In that case you wouldn't be able to give your house away down there. That to me is a giant risk just to save $50k on a cheaper house. Honestly, it's why I posted this thread. I am an avid researcher when it comes to where I live and if I had missed something like this I would not of forgiven myself. Is it a deal killer? Dunno, maybe. We had all but comes to terms with living in the shadow of the mines but I'm not going to lie...they have always bothered me. More so than I even let on to my wife.

I agree with you. I'd never forgive myself either just like I've never forgiven myself from leaving CA to TX 41 years ago. Deep research is now my goal should I move again. I am so disappointed with this dust as online, GV looks like the place I wanted to plant myself, but it's not looking too promising now. Even before this new dust episode, the mines being there have bothered me, too, and now, even worse. Definitely a possible deal killer.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:19 AM

3,853 posts, read 1,517,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkryder View Post
in my 6 years living in tucson areas including swan/speedway, tucson mall, grant/n. country club, the air is surprisingly dirty. i especially notice it during the times of year that i can have my windows open. i don't know a lot about dust in GV but there does seem to be a lot in tucson. seems to be a combination of pollen, fine sand/dirt/rubber residue from tires/etc.
Dust is a fact of life everywhere in the desert Southwest. You live with it, and find ways to deal with the accumulations, or you live somewhere less dusty.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:04 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,386,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Dust is a fact of life everywhere in the desert Southwest. You live with it, and find ways to deal with the accumulations, or you live somewhere less dusty.

Exactly. I don't get mine dust but I sure get a lot of dirt dust when it's windy. I live west of the Sierritas.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:56 PM

311 posts, read 442,737 times
Dust isn't the issue. It's mine dust tailings along with their associated health concerns. So much so that U of A did a study on it, and the results were not pretty. Something else I just got done reading. Ugggh.

Ok well, this is why you do your research I guess. Still, color me really disappointed.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:01 PM

311 posts, read 442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I agree with you. I'd never forgive myself either just like I've never forgiven myself from leaving CA to TX 41 years ago. Deep research is now my goal should I move again. I am so disappointed with this dust as online, GV looks like the place I wanted to plant myself, but it's not looking too promising now. Even before this new dust episode, the mines being there have bothered me, too, and now, even worse. Definitely a possible deal killer.

Been in Texas 28 years....got stuck here with not wanting to move the kids....some good and a lot of bad (mostly weather related). Wife and I also grew up in SoCal haha.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but consider Dove Mountain as well. It was always our number one, but is about 25% higher cost then GV/Sahuarita so we were looking hard down south. Honestly, at this point I am ready to suck it up and pay the extra for DM. Not sure if you golf, but the courses up there are just shockingly beautiful.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:00 PM

490 posts, read 662,177 times
Every time we head down to Tubac, (one of my favorite places to go on a daily outing), I shudder when I see the size of that mine. It has really grown a lot since I first started coming here back in 2011. I am glad we decided to move north of the city rather than south. I would NOT want to live anywhere near that mine. And the Rosemont mine is not quite as dead as we thought either. They are destroying that entire area.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Been in Texas 28 years....got stuck here with not wanting to move the kids....some good and a lot of bad (mostly weather related). Wife and I also grew up in SoCal haha.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but consider Dove Mountain as well. It was always our number one, but is about 25% higher cost then GV/Sahuarita so we were looking hard down south. Honestly, at this point I am ready to suck it up and pay the extra for DM. Not sure if you golf, but the courses up there are just shockingly beautiful.
How funny! Yeah, the weather in Texas is what gets to me the most and I left southern CA for that ... UGH!

I'm a single female senior and my budget is not grand. I checked out Dove Mountain online. No can do. I miss the mountains so badly and would love, I think, the AZ weather, but not the heat of Phoenix and places nearby. From what I can gather online, southern AZ is a bit cooler.

I don't golf, but I'd love to gaze at the scenery to which you're referring.

I was always thinking about Sierra Vista but according to my 'travels' on google maps, it has some really sketchy areas.

Keep us posted where you wind up. Hey, if I had the money I would have gotten had I stayed in southern CA, I could live just about anywhere. Makes me crazy. My house in Burbank sold last August for $1,200,000. Grrr! Of course, when I left 41 years ago, it was sold for $68,000.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:35 AM

20,279 posts, read 23,818,816 times
If I had been a suburbanite most of my life, I'd be living in the NW or GV, but I've always been a Centralite and living outside the central core has never showed up on my radar screen. Habits are hard to change.

My good cousin and wife just moved to Green Valley 3 months ago, San Miguel neighborhood, from WI, and outside their backyards they have a view of the mine, but I don't think they know how potentially dangerous it might be, long term.

But yes, dust is omnipresent in the desert Southwest, no getting around it, but can't we be a little pickier about our dust?

In my 55+ co-op mobile home park, near Swan/Grant, the property here is the hottest it's ever been. The President of the Board told me she's never seen anything like it in the 20 years she's lived here, all the door-knocking, wondering if you're thinking of selling your house, and houses being sold without even being listed at the office. Perhaps they're all convenience junkies like me, they want to walk to Fry's and Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson