U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 06:34 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,495,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Yeah, my wife and I are literally a few months away and we had all but decided on Sahuarita/GV when during the last parts of my region research I stumbled across the GV newspaper and there it was ...front page story. We knew about the mines and my concern had always been contaminated drinking water which for the most part they seem to be clear of, but these mine dust tailings were something new. Seems the mine had to pay a few hundred thousand as restoration a few years ago for the same problem.

So here is the problem I see....this is never going to go away. I was shocked by just how large these mines were when we visited and what happens if the company that treated the mine tailings goes out of business or says, "that's it, we are done dealing with it..."? The community is left to deal with it themselves. In that case you wouldn't be able to give your house away down there. That to me is a giant risk just to save $50k on a cheaper house. Honestly, it's why I posted this thread. I am an avid researcher when it comes to where I live and if I had missed something like this I would not of forgiven myself. Is it a deal killer? Dunno, maybe. We had all but comes to terms with living in the shadow of the mines but I'm not going to lie...they have always bothered me. More so than I even let on to my wife.

On an incidental note, we were very interested in the continental ranch area as well when we first got to Tucson and during that research I found that the north side of continental ranch (on the Marana well) has a serious water issue. Like it's contaminated from a local dump seeping into it causing levels of a cancer chemical to be very high. So high they don't recommend you drinking or even showering in it. This is smack dab in the middle of beautiful new housing developments.....now all being sold with $8k house water treatment systems. Also read the builders are making you sign "hold harmless" waivers when you buy a house. Like I said...can't give them away. The city of Marana is trying to figure out what to do now, but there will prob be some kind of bond to build a new plant. Sucks because it was completely avoidable....like dust tailings from a mine.
Thanks, I think I am going to mention this to her or at least find out exactly where she is about to build. I don't want to interfere with her decision but I do want to be sure she knows what they are getting themselves into.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 10:55 AM

5,296 posts, read 12,229,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If I had been a suburbanite most of my life, I'd be living in the NW or GV, but I've always been a Centralite and living outside the central core has never showed up on my radar screen. Habits are hard to change.

My good cousin and wife just moved to Green Valley 3 months ago, San Miguel neighborhood, from WI, and outside their backyards they have a view of the mine, but I don't think they know how potentially dangerous it might be, long term.

But yes, dust is omnipresent in the desert Southwest, no getting around it, but can't we be a little pickier about our dust?

In my 55+ co-op mobile home park, near Swan/Grant, the property here is the hottest it's ever been. The President of the Board told me she's never seen anything like it in the 20 years she's lived here, all the door-knocking, wondering if you're thinking of selling your house, and houses being sold without even being listed at the office. Perhaps they're all convenience junkies like me, they want to walk to Fry's and Trader Joe's.
I was going to make sure I didn't have a view of the mine should I relocate to GV as I've seen how unattractive it is on google maps, but now I'm really concerned about the dust. Dust is okay, just not mine dust. I'm really disappointed. Maybe when I travel out there next week, I'll just not go to GV for relocating purposes unless someone can convince me that it's not as bad as they're saying. I know GV has excellent points, but I don't want to leave the frying pan for the fire. Perhaps I'll just take in the Grand Canyon and Prescott.

I don't know much about mines, but this map has even discouraged me from going further south in AZ for a possible relocation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tions_2003.svg

Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,386,968 times
My parents lived in Green Valley from the late 70's until just a few years ago. They were both 95 when they died. They exercised, outside, as long as they could, breathing the air which to me is a lot cleaner than the air in Tucson, and were generally quite healthy. If air (or water) pollution bothers you, investigate all the areas you are considering very carefully.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:42 AM

15,170 posts, read 25,981,381 times
I have been here approximately six years. I do not find the Green Valley area to be any dustier or less dusty than any other desert environment that I have lived in.

I think that there have been about four or five days in the last five years where there has been significant dust coming from the mines.

Personally, I worry more about wildfires than I do about the dust tailings.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:43 PM

461 posts, read 1,168,554 times
I have lived in Green Valley and Sahuarita for 18 years. I've never had any dust from the mines. Overall, it's dusty because it's the desert. Just don't purchase a house near the mine tailings. Perhaps stay on the east side of I-19. Work with a realtor to find the perfect location. I believe those with issues lived near the tailings. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2020, 06:31 PM

504 posts, read 461,037 times
Latest article.....they have a sidebar of all the violations that have happened...you can decide if that is too many violations or if you're ok with it

https://www.gvnews.com/news/county-n...6f5e6b551.html

Here is an article from 2018....they mention some of the areas that were affected by the tailings.....might not want to live in those areas

https://www.gvnews.com/news/county-s...3c935a7ad.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson