U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 01:05 PM

1,722 posts, read 836,560 times

Advertisements

On the flip side, Oro Valley has more cops per capita than any other city in Arizona. I've had elderly family members get pulled over for doing a granny turn into the Walgreens parking lot. Their first traffic ticket in 50 years.[/quote]

Amen to this.

Like a small town, Oro Valley cops have little to do but write tickets.

I tried to google "granny turn" bit found nothing. Please tell!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 01:14 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,675,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post

I tried to google "granny turn" bit found nothing. Please tell!
Making a very wide sweeping turn into a parking lot or parking spot. Think the technical term for the ticket was an illegal lane change because they went so far wide that their bumper went into the left lane. A fairly common sight to see in OV.

I drive with a somewhat heavy foot, but not in Oro Valley.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 4,848 times
Default noise question

Hi. Quick question: We are looking in Oro valley towards Marana just East of I-10 in the tangerine rd area. Does anyone know if there is noise like airplane buzzing near or any outside gun ranges? Sorry for the dumb questions.
Jeff

Old 02-25-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer1966 View Post
Hi. Quick question: We are looking in Oro valley towards Marana just East of I-10 in the tangerine rd area. Does anyone know if there is noise like airplane buzzing near or any outside gun ranges? Sorry for the dumb questions.
Jeff
I live just south of Tangerine off of Thornydale, there is so little plane noise that when I do hear a plane I step outside to take a look. Generally if I hear any plane noise it's because the usual weather pattern changed and the flight path for DM Air Force Base shifted.

There is a tiny subdivision off of Tangerine closer to Oro Valley that is set up for private pilots to keep their planes in a hanger next to their house and fly out from their driveway. So very occasionally will I hear a small plane buzzing around.

But overall the airspace over my house is 98% noise free.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:42 PM

20,282 posts, read 23,834,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
On the flip side, Oro Valley has more cops per capita than any other city in Arizona. I've had elderly family members get pulled over for doing a granny turn into the Walgreens parking lot. Their first traffic ticket in 50 years.

Amen to this.

Like a small town, Oro Valley cops have little to do but write tickets.

I tried to google "granny turn" bit found nothing. Please tell![/quote]

Generally, in areas/cities when the cops don't have enough to do, it signals to me there's many gated communities in that area.

When I lived in Las Vegas, for 22 years, I was smart enough to avoid traveling into Henderson given the reputation of the cops out there. Too many gated communities, not enough to do except pull somebody over for going 37 in a 35MPH zone.

I hardly ever spot a cop here in Midtown Tucson and yet I feel very safe here.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:35 AM

22,937 posts, read 12,275,278 times
Quote:
Hi. I lived in Tucson briefly about 20 years ago and am considering coming back to the area this time with my wife and small dog. We are from Michigan. My main reason to relocate is to take advantage of the low humidity and to get away from our Michigan cold and summer humidity. My wife suffers from degenerative arthritis. Before I accept a job offer, I have been searching for similar arthritis sufferers on many boards but cannot seem to find any answers. My question: Moving to the Tucson area help/aid someone who has arthritis?

Another question: Is Vail or Oro Valley good places to live without the fear of crime everyday?(been reading crime states for neighborhoods).
Thanks so much!!!
Both are excellent choices and choosing between the two would come down to whether you prefer to be close to services and more jobs (Oro Valley) with more resulting traffic, noise, pollution and cost or more remote (Vail) with fewer services available but with less noise, traffic and car pollution with lower cost.

I retired just over a year ago and we are set up with are house here in Washington state and a winter home in Phoenix area. We are considering selling those 2 houses and buying something in Oro Valley or Vail ourselves to live year round and will be spending a week in Oro Valley later this month to look around more and we will also look at Vail again. Wife has bad asthma so we are thinking Vail being more remote would have less traffic and car pollution although it is on I 10 so that is also a consideration.

Vail is about 600' higher elevation which makes it slightly cooler than both Tucson and Oro Valley. I will say the views in Oro Valley are better at least in our opinion.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:45 AM

3,402 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I live just south of Tangerine off of Thornydale, there is so little plane noise that when I do hear a plane I step outside to take a look. Generally if I hear any plane noise it's because the usual weather pattern changed and the flight path for DM Air Force Base shifted.

There is a tiny subdivision off of Tangerine closer to Oro Valley that is set up for private pilots to keep their planes in a hanger next to their house and fly out from their driveway. So very occasionally will I hear a small plane buzzing around.

But overall the airspace over my house is 98% noise free.
I have been to your neighborhood and have pedaled my bicycle around there. All the streets have aviation related names. It is a beautiful spot and if you are at least a quarter mile north of Tangerine, the car noise would be minimal. It is one of the most unique little neighborhoods that I have ever seen, with the ability to taxi a small plane from the runway to a hanger next to your house! It is also not far from the Tortolita Mtns, which gives it a nice setting.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I have been to your neighborhood and have pedaled my bicycle around there. All the streets have aviation related names. It is a beautiful spot and if you are at least a quarter mile north of Tangerine, the car noise would be minimal. It is one of the most unique little neighborhoods that I have ever seen, with the ability to taxi a small plane from the runway to a hanger next to your house! It is also not far from the Tortolita Mtns, which gives it a nice setting.
I live a mile or so south of this subdivision.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:11 AM

344 posts, read 546,131 times
Vail has the South East Regional Park SERP. Firing ranges and firearms instruction.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:46 PM

23 posts, read 17,928 times
Quote:
Hi. I lived in Tucson briefly about 20 years ago and am considering coming back to the area this time with my wife and small dog. We are from Michigan. My main reason to relocate is to take advantage of the low humidity and to get away from our Michigan cold and summer humidity. My wife suffers from degenerative arthritis. Before I accept a job offer, I have been searching for similar arthritis sufferers on many boards but cannot seem to find any answers. My question: Moving to the Tucson area help/aid someone who has arthritis?

Another question: Is Vail or Oro Valley good places to live without the fear of crime everyday?(been reading crime states for neighborhoods).
Thanks so much!!!
We are Oregonans ,but we have a second home In Green Valley. It is 55 and older so I would not recommend Green Valley to you. But, I can speak to the benefits of the low humidity and warm weather. I have arthritis and mild asthma. The AZ weather definitely improves symptoms from both ailments. It all returns once we return to Oregon's damp climate.
The recommendations that folks are making of Oro Valley and Marana are good ones ! I also like parts of Catalina foothills. A friend of mine lives there who is also a Raytheon engineer , if that is any recommendation, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson