U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,870 times

Advertisements

Hi.

A couple questions from a newbee:

1) We’re in Ohio, but my wife and I will soon be relocating to Tucson. The question is Where? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Some background: We’re retiring. I’m 65. She’s 63. We are huge supporters of the arts, and particularly love live music (as in seeing bands in clubs, although symphonies, operas, etc. are wonderful as well). Neither of us are or ever have been hipsters, and we would look ridiculous trying to play the part. But we’ve never figured out that we’re supposed to stop caring about new music, new films, new books, etc., so we haven’t.

We will be retired, but neither of us particularly wants to embrace a “retired lifestyle,” if you know what I mean. We don’t want to live in a 55+ community. Neither of us cares about golf. We’ll be spending our time between creative endeavors (writing for me, weaving for her), hiking (which we love; it’s one of the main reasons we’re drawn to Tucson), volunteering (not sure yet, but I’m open to suggestions; this is something I want to be a major focus of my life), and, of course, forming new relationships and building community after moving 2,000 miles across the country.

We’re politically and culturally liberal, we want to hike, and we want to support the arts. We’re older, so safety is obviously a concern, but we also don’t want to cower in a gated community. We want to get to know people. We’ll be renting initially so that we can get a better lay of the land, but may buy a home eventually. Where should we live?

2) We haven't lived in an apartment for decades, so my ignorance is showing. In looking at apartments in and around Oro Valley and Catalina Foothills, I see both a base rate and a maximum rate quoted. I assume that this means that one could end up paying anywhere from the base rate to the maximum rate. In many cases, there is a 50% difference between the base and maximum rates. For example, if the base rate is $1,500/mo., the maximum rate can be as high as $2,250/mo. Yes, that's the price range for the same model within the same apartment complex.

And that's a huge difference. So what factors enter into the differences between the base and maximum rates? What are you typically paying for with those additional charges? I've never encountered this phenomenon before, so I'd appreciate any insight you can provide. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 12:34 PM

4,261 posts, read 1,768,225 times
Why Tuscon? You do realize that Tuscon is unbearably hot for 4 to 5 months of the year?

Old 01-18-2020, 12:44 PM

I do realize that. The short answer is I'll take unbearably hot over unbearably cold, I can't afford two homes, and I can't afford to live in an ideal climate (as best I can tell, either Hawaii or California). We'll be hanging out in Tucson in July or August so we can experience the city at its "worst," if you will. We did this years ago and 110 was fine. But we were a lot younger then. But I really, really dislike unbearably cold, ice, sleet, and what passes for snow in Columbus, Ohio (it's mostly ice and sleet).

Old 01-18-2020, 12:59 PM

311 posts, read 442,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Why Tuscon? You do realize that Tuscon is unbearably hot for 4 to 5 months of the year?

Really?

We visited last August in their "unbearably hot" season....wife and I laughed....a lot. Compared to Texas humidity/heat it was a joke. We loved it and will be moving there in a few months. Can not freaking wait to leave Texas!

Old 01-18-2020, 01:20 PM

438 posts, read 556,047 times
I recommend you explore cohousing to see if it is right for you. Sounds like it might be ("liberal", "forming new relationships and building community"). There are 3, quite different, cohousing communities in Tucson. Go to cohousing.org and read about it, then check out the communities listed in their directory.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:47 PM

4,261 posts, read 1,768,225 times
After working in Anchorage, Alaska for 7 years for the Aleyeska Pipeline Company my Mom retired to Sierra Vista, Arizona (about 80 miles SE of Tuscon) for 7 years. After 7 years she just couldn't stand the heat anymore and relocated to Reno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Really?

We visited last August in their "unbearably hot" season....wife and I laughed....a lot. Compared to Texas humidity/heat it was a joke. We loved it and will be moving there in a few months. Can not freaking wait to leave Texas!

Old 01-18-2020, 01:53 PM

1,774 posts, read 827,192 times
Hi AJ and wife --

Welcome to Arizona! I have lived in Tucson, years ago as a college student, and our daughter followed in my footsteps 30 years later. She married and they lived in Tucson for several years after graduation. They actually lived in a single family home in an un-incorporated area of Tucson in the foothills and they loved it. To the point of trying to buy the home from the landlord (which did not work as the landlords actually moved back in the home when they moved out!). Neither of us live there presently. There are many beautiful neighborhoods there, and it is a good idea to rent and explore until you find what you like.

Anyway -- about some things that could cause a price difference in apartments:

* Some complexes offer a separate garage with a door for rent as an option. More often, a single covered parking space is included in the rent.
* Some apartments with beautiful mountain views may be available and you would probably pay a premium price for those, just as you would for a home. Views cost $$.
* Some apartments have larger patios and/or balconies and may rent for more money.
* Some apartment complexes do not offer washer/dryers in all units and charge a higher price for apartments with a washer/dryer included. Some offer the hook-ups and you provide your own.
* Some apartment complexes up-grade and remodel apartments when they become vacant. The newly remodeled units often have up-graded decor such as granite counter tops and hardwood floors, and washer/dryer.

Those are typical features which may cost more. Good luck with your move!

Old 01-18-2020, 03:20 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,666,757 times
The other reason for the range is most apartments charge more if you lease begins in certain months or if the lease term is less than 12 months and closer to a 6 month lease. Leasing in August when U of A students being to filter into town is more expensive than leasing in June. Rents also go up for short term leases in late October when snowbirds start looking for a place over the winter.

I just moved to Oro Valley and being 10-15 minutes from tons of trails that in any other state would be a National Park is a huge bonus for me.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:30 AM

20,276 posts, read 23,813,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
If retired, is there any reason to cling to old habits, even though it might take a bomb to break up well-engrained habits? Is there any earthly reason, come the hot summer, that you adhere to your old sleeping habits of getting up early, going to bed early?

Gee whiz! You're retired with no daily schedules! Sleep away the heat of the summer in your air-conditioned bedroom and you'll still be able to enjoy an early morning hike and around 9-10am, have dinner, and then crawl into bed and wake up when it's cooling off. Just for the summer.

Dr.'s appointments? Book the earliest morning appointment!

Old 01-19-2020, 08:26 PM

Thanks for your responses, everyone. They're helpful, and I appreciate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson