Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 06:07 AM

108 posts, read 94,352 times

Advertisements

Interesting direction of move...

We were looking to move from the congested Tucson area to the small town atmosphere of Prescott or Payson, but like you, were put off by the higher housing prices and CoL. Then the big fire in NoCal made us think twice about the forest of kindling all around Payson... I also read a report on the fire hazards in that area, and what the aftermath would be like.. which effectively killed that move idea. In addition, the water quality of the Chino Valley is suspect due to all the old mines dumping arsenic into the groundwater. A few more reports later I decided the desert is running out of water and people continue to move here and golf courses continue to irrigate, so we are leaving for greener pastures (literally).

If you want to move to Tucson, I would suggest Vail, Oro valley or Marana areas. Green Valley is little more than a city of subdivisions next to some gigantic land fills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 12:50 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
A few more reports later I decided the desert is running out of water and people continue to move here and golf courses continue to irrigate, so we are leaving for greener pastures (literally).

In reality........

AZ is not running out of water, as we get our share of CAP water.
More people, more houses, more water usage.
Most of the new developments are on former farmland. 10,000 acres of homes use far less water than 10,000 acres of cotton, pecan trees, citrus, etc.

Many private golf courses have closed, and the resorts are required to source their own water. Fairways are narrowed down except when the big tournaments are on.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:14 AM

85 posts, read 269,902 times
Another major reason for the move to Tucson is I am politically liberal/progressive and vegan. I am looking to be surrounded by more like-minded people.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:18 PM

351 posts, read 320,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieann View Post
Another major reason for the move to Tucson is I am politically liberal/progressive and vegan. I am looking to be surrounded by more like-minded people.
Choose your zip code carefully. Tucson metro area has its share of trumpeteers. Mostly west of 19 and also in the far east zips, plus new arrivals to Oro Valley area are mid-west transplants with conservative views. Vail has its share of gun nuts; true of many of the rural Tucson area.

Focus downtown Tucson and the Catalina foothill zips for birds of a feather.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:51 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Like jumping from the pan to the fire. Actually, Prescott temps are mild because of the altitude (5000+ feet) but if you like those mild temps you are going to fry in Tuscon which gets blast furnace hot in summers.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 621 times
Prescott can feel quite dreary depending on what your used to. Winters are very cold, and get relatively frequent snow and rain which means it's almost always grey. When the sun does come out in the winter time it's typically because it's so windy the clouds have to break. Spring is over to soon and the weather tends to be very mixed with mornings still being to cold to dress down. Summer is hot but very manageable, nothing like phoenix. Personally I miss the constant sunshine and vast wide open spaces of the phoenix desert. Prescott can feel quite geographically restrictive and isolated with nowhere to go when you want to get out.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:33 AM

720 posts, read 995,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieann View Post
Don't count on that! I have seen some truly disturbing truck "decor" in Tucson. MAGA flags, obscene bumper stickers, etc. And yes, choose your zip code carefully. Even then.....

Old 02-09-2024, 09:46 PM

680 posts, read 716,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saguarogirl507 View Post
Don't count on that! I have seen some truly disturbing truck "decor" in Tucson. MAGA flags, obscene bumper stickers, etc. And yes, choose your zip code carefully. Even then.....

4 year old thread...OP has not came back for that long. LOL on the "disturbing" truck decor

Last edited by beckerd2; 02-09-2024 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: abc

Old 02-10-2024, 10:42 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saguarogirl507 View Post
My neighbor has "FJB" in red, white, and blue lights on his roof. It's just a splash of color from my kitchen window, and I was kind of shocked when I drove by and realized what it was. He was flying a "F**k Joe Biden" flag, or I might not have figured it out.

But most of my neighbors are less...obsessed? crazy?

Old 02-11-2024, 03:56 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
We're not allowed political signs or any political indications in my 55+community in midtown, but I know who the super religious are and..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson