Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 09:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejalciti View Post
Recently began looking online at homes in the Tucson area after having looked in the Scottsdale area. My impression is that real estate taxes are roughly 75% higher in Tucson for the same type of home on a similar plot of land. Is this roughly accurate and if so am I missing something in either statistic such as extra fees or taxes that would tend to even the two out? If not, can anyone supply a reason that the taxes are so much higher in Tucson? Thanks.
Most transplants are NOT aware that Pima County taxes are much higher than other counties in Arizona. Many of us are paying about 30% of the real estate taxes that we paid in Illinois and Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 05:58 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
We recently questioned our property tax, and discovered that we're being billed at the second home rate, even though this is our only residence. We filed to get it corrected, haven't gotten a reply yet (it's been a few weeks). We're outside Tucson city limits, but in Pima County.

I wonder if this happens to lots of people, and if the article is referencing that rate.

I read somewhere that they consider it a second home until you've lived here two years, but I'm not sure about the accuracy of that.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:24 PM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We recently questioned our property tax, and discovered that we're being billed at the second home rate, even though this is our only residence. We filed to get it corrected, haven't gotten a reply yet (it's been a few weeks). We're outside Tucson city limits, but in Pima County.

I wonder if this happens to lots of people, and if the article is referencing that rate.

I read somewhere that they consider it a second home until you've lived here two years, but I'm not sure about the accuracy of that.

I had better look into that. In June I will be here 2 years. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:37 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,229 times
Quite a bit of info if you search online about Pima County property tax rates, much higher than anywhere else in AZ. Mostly what I got was that county is really top heavy in expenses, managed somewhat poorly. This could be a big changer for us as we had been thinking of moving to Oro Valley.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:12 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Quite a bit of info if you search online about Pima County property tax rates, much higher than anywhere else in AZ. Mostly what I got was that county is really top heavy in expenses, managed somewhat poorly. This could be a big changer for us as we had been thinking of moving to Oro Valley.
I don't disagree with your comments, however, the lower Phoenix property taxes also comes with higher housing prices for similar properties which in most cases will mean the total cost is still lower for Tucson area houses than Phoenix area at this time...at least from what I've calculated. Pima County property taxes, while very high for Arizona, still aren't bad compared to much of the nation.

Others may disagree but our subjective opinion is that Tucson area has much more natural beauty and a better overall climate than Phoenix. Oro Valley certainly has great views and seems very well run and clean.

Wife and I have a winter home in Phoenix metro and the rest of the year here in Washington state. We are considering selling our home here as well as the Phoenix area to buy something in Oro Valley or Vail for one year round location and will be in the area later this month to scout around.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:33 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't disagree with your comments, however, the lower Phoenix property taxes also comes with higher housing prices for similar properties which in most cases will mean the total cost is still lower for Tucson area houses than Phoenix area at this time...at least from what I've calculated. Pima County property taxes, while very high for Arizona, still aren't bad compared to much of the nation.

Others may disagree but our subjective opinion is that Tucson area has much more natural beauty and a better overall climate than Phoenix. Oro Valley certainly has great views and seems very well run and clean.

Wife and I have a winter home in Phoenix metro and the rest of the year here in Washington state. We are considering selling our home here as well as the Phoenix area to buy something in Oro Valley or Vail for one year round location and will be in the area later this month to scout around.
I was in Oro Valley last month scouting around. Man that area is booming! I never saw so many model homes before and beautiful homes too! Your right OV is clean and beautiful. I’m moving there in May and seriously considering becoming a real estate agent there

Old 03-06-2020, 12:10 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I was in Oro Valley last month scouting around. Man that area is booming! I never saw so many model homes before and beautiful homes too! Your right OV is clean and beautiful. I’m moving there in May and seriously considering becoming a real estate agent there
Yeah I don't see really any downsides to OV. Good luck on your new adventure!

Old 03-07-2020, 08:34 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Check out Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site and find the tax rate for any city.

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2020 at 07:34 AM..

Old 03-27-2020, 04:42 PM

50 posts, read 59,580 times
Can someone answer why the taxes are so much higher in Tuscon than Scottsdale and the Phoenix, especially since Scottsdale reputation is a much higher end community???

Old 03-27-2020, 05:02 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchrismsw View Post
Can someone answer why the taxes are so much higher in Tuscon than Scottsdale and the Phoenix, especially since Scottsdale reputation is a much higher end community???
Cost of housing in the communities is not related to taxes. Pima County taxes have historically been considerably higher than in Maricopa County. Friends in Tucson are paying almost same taxes on a $200K home as other friends in Phoenix are paying for a $400k property, and they purchased nearly at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson