Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2020, 07:58 AM

364 posts, read 617,569 times

Advertisements

Townhomes around the Tucson mall area appear to be somewhat affordable and close to tons of amenities. I was just wondering what the general vibe was like around the mall. Is it considered safe etc. Trying to read the crime reports is an exercise in frustration. I was more interested in Tucson residents impressions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 08:12 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Townhomes around the Tucson mall area appear to be somewhat affordable and close to tons of amenities. I was just wondering what the general vibe was like around the mall. Is it considered safe etc. Trying to read the crime reports is an exercise in frustration. I was more interested in Tucson residents impressions.

Thanks!
Crimereports.com maps out crime for the whole city (it ain’t pretty).

North and east are generally quite nice and fine. West of the mall is fine but can be hit or miss. South of the mall gets into more miss than hit but has nice spots too. In general, it’s easier to find nice homes on or north of River and the patio homes along River generally have private access to the Rillito River Walk (a huge +)

Old 02-09-2020, 08:39 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Interesting question, Katera . . .

When I purchased my Patio Home literally blocks from the Tucson Mall, it was strictly a year or two temporary decision until I "settled in" and became more familiar with Tucson overall.

About twenty (yes, 20) years later I am still in the same Patio Home.

There is definitely NO PERFECT PLACE TO LIVE but considering all of the positives vs the negatives . . . the positives definitely win. Crime is everywhere but Common Sense is paramount.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:24 PM

Thank you both.

We are huge walkers so being able to walk outside is an enormous + to us. Time to research this Rillito River Walk.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:16 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
Nothing beats just walking and driving around the area. See the caliber of vehicles parked in the complex's parking lot and if you get a chance chat with people that live in the area.

My brother is a Pima County Sheriff's Deputy and he's told me to view the crime map within the Tucson city limits with caution. Tucson's police chief is gaming the crime stats to make things look better. The crime map for things in Pima County that the sheriff's department covers is generally more accurate. What that means is breaking and entering is now listed as criminal trespassing unless the police catch someone in the act with an armful of stolen property. Some assault cases are downgraded to disturbing the peace.

Because the actual city limits of Tucson stop at River Road for the most part, anything north of River will be patrolled by PCSD. They are understaffed, so while their reporting is more accurate they simply don't have the manpower to respond to many calls. Many deputy's (including my brother) won't even bother to pull over speeders unless you are doing at least 15 MPH over the limit. The River Road area is patrolled pretty well, the sheriff's office has a good presence from River Road up to the Foothills. Not like other spots in the county where my brother is the only law enforcement officer within a 25 minute radius.

One thing though PCSD is good for is they do not put up with homeless camps in the county. They will highly recommend that homeless people relocate over the city line and make Tucson their home.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:21 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Crimereports.com maps out crime for the whole city (it ain’t pretty).

North and east are generally quite nice and fine. West of the mall is fine but can be hit or miss. South of the mall gets into more miss than hit but has nice spots too. In general, it’s easier to find nice homes on or north of River and the patio homes along River generally have private access to the Rillito River Walk (a huge +)
I'm outside city limits, SW of Tucson. That crime map makes my neighborhood look very safe, which matches my experience of it.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:36 AM

26 posts, read 26,412 times
Crime would be on par with many other areas but traffic will be close to the worst.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:54 AM

108 posts, read 94,402 times
My impression is that the Mall area has gotten a little sleazier over the last few years...Still not as bad as a little further south toward city center... During the day it's fine but i wouldn't go over there after dark very often.
But then, if you live in a neighborhood long enough you tend to view the local issues differently than looking in from the outside...

Old 02-14-2020, 07:37 AM

Great. I really appreciate the insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: