U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 10:34 AM

35 posts, read 28,250 times

Advertisements

Been looking online (not in AZ currently) at homes in the Dove Mountain area and more specifically Canyon Pass in which there seem to be a lot of homes for sale. Would be interested in getting feedback on the area (and Canyon Pass in particular) in terms of distance to shopping and other considerations. Is this area suitable for full-time retirement living or is it quite isolated and more appropriate for a second home? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 12:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 7,690,813 times
It's a bit out there, but probably not for long. I live about 10 minutes south off of Thornydale. Go up to that area a few times a month to go running or hiking up in the Tortolita Mountains near the Ritz. You have a large Fry's for grocery shopping and a few shops fairly close by.

If you need to get to Phoenix, you can be at the IKEA in 75 minutes on the weekend. Actually might faster to get to IKEA from Dove Mountain than to get there from Sun City or Surprise. My wife used to live close to Canyon Pass and her job in downtown Tucson was 35-40 minutes in rush hour traffic. Target and Costco will take you 20 minutes to get to.

The city of Marana does have a master plan for the next 20-30 years and Tangerine Road will be the center of a lot of development. Already an industrial park in the works.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info. One thing I have learned since posting the question is that Marana has the highest real estate taxes in Arizona! I looked at some listings and taxes are crazy high. That may be why there seem to be a lot of higher end listings that have been on the market for over a year in some cases.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:53 PM

3,426 posts, read 7,690,813 times
The city of Marana is the king of gerrymandering city borders to exclude any residential but gobble up as much commercial property as they can. One upshot is they have the best paved roads in Pima County.

Anecdotally from what I've seen from the parking lot at my grocery store is a lot of people with out of state plates that probably don't bat an eye over the property taxes in Marana. Not moving down from Phoenix and used to lower property taxes. At the same time, I know that my house in Maricopa County in a neighborhood similar to mine would sell for $150,000 more. Lower housing prices combined with higher taxes and it's probably a wash.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:08 PM

SALT deduction cap for combined state income tax and real estate taxes makes those taxes even harder to ignore. One has to balance the mortgage interest limitation with the possible non-deductibility of the real estate taxes. Add into this the difference in prices and my head is spinning.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:56 AM

84 posts, read 30,924 times
Dove Mtn. area is an up and coming place... All new, a lot of high dollar properties (one even has a private road thru a stone tunnel in the mountain) and overpriced subdivisions sprouting like weeds.

No downtrodden double-wides obstruct the views...

Old 02-14-2020, 10:50 AM

96 posts, read 96,735 times
We liked Dove Mtn (Heritage Highlands or Del Webb) very much but it is at the top end of our housing budget. In regard to the SALT Deduction, I'm confused. If the info I'm finding is right and I'm interpreting it correctly the cap is 10K and up to that amount can be deducted. That should be a great help. In the two subdivisions I mentioned the taxes certainly aren't above 10k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson