U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2020, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Green Valley, AZ
680 posts, read 496,530 times
Reputation: 1243

Advertisements

I thought this was worth sharing with the wider audience. Some people have the mistaken understanding that javelina are slow plodding animals, and most of the time they are, however, they are capable of great speed and agility when needed. There is one in the area where I live (Green Valley) that has been surviving on basically 3 legs since at least July of 2019. Although, this particular one is pretty slow and kind of pitiful looking most of the time, he displays some amazing speed in this video where he is in a standoff with a challenger.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB_YbmlIQ-c
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2020, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,248 posts, read 9,880,597 times
Reputation: 3801
Wow that is fast, I didn't know a healthy javelina could move that fast. Sadly, my next door neighbor feeds them twice a day and there is such a huge herd hanging around here. They think it's cute. Even Fish and game has tried to stop them but it's not illegal in Yavapai County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2020, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Green Valley, AZ
680 posts, read 496,530 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Wow that is fast, I didn't know a healthy javelina could move that fast. Sadly, my next door neighbor feeds them twice a day and there is such a huge herd hanging around here. They think it's cute. Even Fish and game has tried to stop them but it's not illegal in Yavapai County.
Wow, I did not know that feeding javelina laws differed by county! I understand that people want to "help" the javelina, but feeding them can actually hurt them and even kill them depending on what they are fed. It is best to let them find their own food, because when someone who feeds them moves away or passes away, the javelina have become dependent on that food source, and when it is suddenly gone, they will suffer, and whoever may buy that house later on will also suffer with having a squadron of javelina hanging around waiting on a handout.

https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/livingwith/javelina/

Too much familiarity with people can cause the javelina to lose their fear of people which could lead to an incident where a person is injured, and in turn that can cause the entire squadron of javelina to be hunted and killed by Fish and Game.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...rs/4062691002/

https://www.kold.com/story/23339445/...-was-attacked/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2020, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Mountains of Oregon
16,215 posts, read 19,211,523 times
Reputation: 12020
He's pretty aggressive & runs fast, for a Javelina with only three good legs...Right On...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,248 posts, read 9,880,597 times
Reputation: 3801
Sadly, I know all this and have given the neighbor the articles on javelina attacks in Tucson and Sedona AND the Fish And Game Officer told him that the whole herd would need to be killed if there is an attack. I have also reported him to the HOA but they won't do anything as they don't have a rule against it either. We are currently estranged which is not a bad thing.

The herd now sleep right up on on his deck so he can't even go out there without throwing carrots or apples into the yard to get them off his deck. There have been numerous javalina riots in his yard (these are unbelievable - it sounds like a building is going to come down) and one day they were trying to break his sliding glass door down as they'd been gone all day and didn't leave food out. The young ones (and there are plenty of them) only know to come to him for food.

He thinks he knows more than Fish and Game - let's just say that the javelina are MUCH smarter than my neighbor.

On another note, I want to move to get away from him and am considering Green Valley. Are there any links you know of that I should check out?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2020, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Green Valley, AZ
680 posts, read 496,530 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Sadly, I know all this and have given the neighbor the articles on javelina attacks in Tucson and Sedona AND the Fish And Game Officer told him that the whole herd would need to be killed if there is an attack. I have also reported him to the HOA but they won't do anything as they don't have a rule against it either. We are currently estranged which is not a bad thing.

The herd now sleep right up on on his deck so he can't even go out there without throwing carrots or apples into the yard to get them off his deck. There have been numerous javalina riots in his yard (these are unbelievable - it sounds like a building is going to come down) and one day they were trying to break his sliding glass door down as they'd been gone all day and didn't leave food out. The young ones (and there are plenty of them) only know to come to him for food.

He thinks he knows more than Fish and Game - let's just say that the javelina are MUCH smarter than my neighbor.

On another note, I want to move to get away from him and am considering Green Valley. Are there any links you know of that I should check out?
Are you aware of Green Valley Recreation more commonly known as GVR? If not, this is a link you should check out: https://www.gvrec.org/

You can also check out the link to my youtube channel which is dedicated to Green Valley and the surrounding area: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...e_polymer=true

Then there is the Green Valley/Sahuarita Chamber of Commerce site: Home Page | Green Valley | Sahuarita, Arizona

The Titan Missile Museum: https://titanmissilemuseum.org/

The Fred Whipple Observatory atop Mt. Hopkins in the Santa Rita Mountains: https://www.gvnews.com/lifestyle/vis...f92a78de0.html

Madera Canyon in the Santa Ritas for hiking, picincing, bird watching: https://friendsofmaderacanyon.org/

The Performing Arts Center for concerts and theater: http://www.performingartscenter.org/

Desert Diamond Casino: https://www.ddcaz.com/

Tubac Chamber of Commerce: https://tubacaz.com/

Plus lots of golf, dining, etc

I hope this helps!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2020, 08:51 AM
 
311 posts, read 442,599 times
Reputation: 973
Ok, that is one fast piggy. New found respect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2020, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Green Valley, AZ
680 posts, read 496,530 times
Reputation: 1243
In my initial post, I mentioned that this javelina has been surviving on basically three legs since July of 2019, I meant July of 2018, that is 18 months since I first saw this javelina in this condition. Honestly, when I first saw him, I did not think he would last 2 weeks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2020, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,248 posts, read 9,880,597 times
Reputation: 3801
Thank you bkolodzi, do you know if there are single people in GV or primarily couples?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2020, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Texas
5,296 posts, read 12,227,295 times
Reputation: 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thank you bkolodzi, do you know if there are single people in GV or primarily couples?

Thanks
I visited GV last month and loved it. I hope to return this summer to really check it out and make up my mind if that's where I want to relocate. I talked to some of the locals and in their retirement communities, they said there were lots of widowed ladies, so I'm assuming there are probably many singles, male and female. Check it out. It's a lovely place.

Here are the stats on Sperling's BestPlaces site.

Family in Green Valley
- 66.8% are married
- 10.7% are divorced
- 2.2% are married with children
- 1.1% have children, but are single

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 02-20-2020 at 04:31 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top