Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,780,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
...One more thing....a coworker of mine said they had their car stolen but it was recovered. The stuff the thief left behind was a bunch of clothes, junk, 3 garage door openers that were not his and a hand drawn map of places the thief wanted to break into. ....
If you are a "snowbird" when you leave for the season, pull the electric plug for your garage door opener. That way a person with an electronic device which can mimic your garage door opener code will not work. People do drive around, randomly trying to access homes this way.

Rich

Retired police officer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 08:28 AM

2,266 posts, read 1,555,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
As I mentioned in another post, my brother is a PCSD employee. He's told me that for the past 4 years since TPD hired their new police chief they have been gaming the stats. Breaking and entering into a house is turned into criminal trespassing. Assault & battery turned into disturbing the peace. According to my brother, the rank & file cops on the street hate this and are not fans of the Tucson Police Chief.
so you can beat up and disable someone and it is called disturbing the peace?

what is sexual assault? I hope it's not disturbing the person's anatomy.

I thought we were advancing and becoming more civilized. Seems the police chief, directed by the mayor, understands the city is more uncivilized so they have to make punishment more lenient.

this gives aggressive angry people a pass to physically beat up others and do community service or pay a small fine, no jail time. I understand it costs money to jail them & the city needs money but they can't continue with this policy.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:43 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,780,366 times
Gaming the stats. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

I have 41 years in as a police officer, 20 as a chief of police. I did not game my stats. But, many did. Why, I hear you ask.

OK, you're a new, bright-eyed, eager beaver chief of police, a regular Boy Scout. You learn that all the previous chiefs before you had all the crimes committed in your area downgraded or made to otherwise disappear. You say, "Oh no to that!" and direct your officers to put down the actual facts as they come upon them.

Shortly after doing so, the local newspapers will be reporting an incredible crime wave under your command as chief! Burglaries, rapes, break-ins, all go through the roof! You incompetent blankety-blank.

The mayor's gonna be thrilled with your performance.

Was there actually any increase in illegal activity? Nope. You were just "doing the right thing."

In point of fact, in most jurisdictions, the only really reliable indicator of criminal activity are the homicide rates. Can't hide a dead body (well, it's hard to do, although I've seen something similar actually happen!).

So, now you all know the dirty little secret in law enforcement. That is, not only don't you know what illegal activities are taking place around where you live, but neither does police management. And that, to a former chief of police, is the real crime of dumbing down crime stats.

Rich
(20 years NYPD, retired lieutenant, 20 years chief of police, small town Cape Cod, MA)

Old 02-13-2020, 10:39 AM

3,816 posts, read 9,399,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
so you can beat up and disable someone and it is called disturbing the peace?

what is sexual assault? I hope it's not disturbing the person's anatomy.

I thought we were advancing and becoming more civilized. Seems the police chief, directed by the mayor, understands the city is more uncivilized so they have to make punishment more lenient.

this gives aggressive angry people a pass to physically beat up others and do community service or pay a small fine, no jail time. I understand it costs money to jail them & the city needs money but they can't continue with this policy.
The other frustrating thing are local judges, cops will give someone a pass because they know charges will often get thrown out or reduced. A few years ago a woman resisted arrest and literally plucked out an officer's eyeball with her spiked high heel shoe. She made bail and was released within days.

Another issue is how my brother gets paid, no longer gets paid to go to court. The county gives him comp time instead, which he doesn't need more of because he already has a month of vacation time due to his seniority. He works overnight and between the hours of 9 AM to 3 PM he's in bed sleeping. Unless it's something serious, he simply refuses to go to court to testify. If my brother bothers to give you a speeding ticket or other somewhat minor traffic ticket you can rest assured he won't show up in court.

Now if you disabled someone, you'd probably get hit with assault and battery. But if it's a simple brawl at closing time at a college bar, you're getting a disturbing the peace ticket.

One stat that increased with the new county sheriff was discharging an officer's weapon. The PCSD covers a lot of rural areas within Pima County and according to sources, not uncommon to use your weapon to dispatch an injured deer or javelina that just got hit by a car. Before, officers never bothered to document that they put an animal out of it's misery. Now they have to and people were shocked within the department to see the increase of weapon use among officers.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:29 PM

646 posts, read 685,341 times
RichCapeCod and grmi66 are so right in their posts....great write ups!

If you do a Google search, Tucson was ranked one of the worst cities for violent crime in 2017 according to the FBI. I guess that hurt real estate sales and such, so like other posters have pointed out....they are pressured to "cook" the amount and severity of crimes that happen.

Here are a couple of links of neighborhoods that are "safer" than others....the worst ones are pretty well known to those of us who have been here a while.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-nei...-in-tucson-az/

https://www.alarms.org/safest-cities-in-arizona/

Well, as I have said....they are obviously manipulating the property crime data (based off of what happened to us). The following link shows a news story about the amount of property crime in the area. Its funny, THEIR story even says they only have data from 2017 for TPD. Sounds like TPD is trying to hide stuff....
https://kvoa.com/news/2020/01/23/dig...n-pima-county/

Thanks for all the comments!

Old 02-14-2020, 07:01 PM

344 posts, read 639,302 times
I own a Firearms Training Company. Several of my instructors are off duty policemen. TPD is in excess of 100 officers short. Some of the Police cars you see driving around are clerks who fake being cops, they get a couple of houre overtime for their driving. If you actually want to be safe in Tucson get some training and carry a gun.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:41 AM

16,349 posts, read 30,056,253 times
As a former resident of the cities Detroit and St. Louis, crime is greatly underreported. Why bother calling the cops when you know that they are not going to show up for perhaps hours? You know that it will take two hours to make a report when they do show up and there will be NO follow-up to the crime.

In those cities, it is generally a waste of time to call 911. You will probably get more results calling political leaders to resolve safety issues. However, that generally comes at a cost near election time.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:57 AM

3,816 posts, read 9,399,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salpointe59 View Post
I own a Firearms Training Company. Several of my instructors are off duty policemen. TPD is in excess of 100 officers short. Some of the Police cars you see driving around are clerks who fake being cops, they get a couple of houre overtime for their driving. If you actually want to be safe in Tucson get some training and carry a gun.

I was friends with a few guys over at TPD back in the mid-90's just before I left town after finishing up at the U of A and they told me they were grossly understaffed back then. One friend told me that if there was a rape in progress and the woman called 911, it would still take TPD about 30-40 minutes to respond. Plus he told me about mail in crime reports for things like house or car break ins just so you had something official to give your insurance company.

My question would be, has TPD in the past 30 years ever been at a staffing level to adequately protect the population of Tucson?

Old 02-15-2020, 10:54 PM

344 posts, read 639,302 times
grmi66

Interesting question. I doubt it. My personal thought is that if the Feds were to stop assisting in Pima County we would all be up a creek without a paddle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson