U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 2,803 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

My wife and I are looking to make a move soon to Arizona, as we currently live in Montana and I will be retiring soon..
I posted a couple months back in the Phoenix forum asking some questions, but recently have been introduced to Oro Valley from a friend, and it's looking more likely we might be headed there. I have some questions however.....

First of all, I asked this over in the Phoenix forum, but will also ask it here.. how prevalent are killer bees in the Oro Valley area? My wife has been reading about them online and would kill me if I didn't ask this question. Is there much of a problem, or is this a problem that is more exaggerated? Are the odds of us having an encounter low or high? We do like to go for nightly walks around the neighborhood. Is this something to be concerned about when the grandkids are around?

My second question is, how are summers compared to the Phoenix area? Are the temps hotter or cooler, and by how much? What is typically considered the "HOT" months in OV?

And last - what is the projected growth for Oro Valley? Is the population expected to grow significantly? I read now that it's between 45-50k.. What is it expected to be in 5 years? 10 years? We know that Maricopa county is one of the fastest growing counties in America, and are definitely not looking to move somewhere that is expecting to grow too quickly. Remember, we are from Montana, and are used to the small town life..

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 10:55 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times
I live a stone's throw outside of the Oro Valley city limits, so I'm always heading into OV for shopping & recreation.

Killer bees, I hate them. Got attacked up hiking in Phoenix when I lived there and still have PTSD. About the only place for sure that you will bump into them is one of the trails heading up Pusch Ridge. There's a small hive right next to the trail and I've gotten nailed a couple of times. But not something to get obsessed about.

Summers are roughly 8-10 degrees cooler than Phoenix during the day and 15-20 degrees cooler at night (I've lived in both Phoenix and (almost)Oro Valley). Catalina State Park is a huge drainage for cool air coming off the mountain, I've watched the temperature drop 15 degrees from Oracle road to the parking lot for hiking trails a mile and half down the road. Good place to escape the heat first thing on a summer morning.

I live in the no man's land in between Oro Valley and Marana in a county island. After moving all over the country and looking for the perfect place to live, I've settled here and will probably leave my house in a pine box. This area seems to attract a lot of retirees from MT, CO, ID, WY and other mountain states so that they can hike, mountain bike, trail run, etc...instead of playing golf.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:26 AM

4,911 posts, read 7,612,409 times
We started visiting Tucson in 1994 for the Colorado Rockies Spring Training in March. We loved the warm weather after pretty cold winters in the mountains in Colorado. We bought a condo in Oro Valley, and started spending holidays there as well. 80 degrees on Thanksgiving was nice, especially when it was 30 degrees at home for a high. In 2010, after my husband died, I moved to the condo full time, and eventually to a house in Oro Valley.

I still have a hard time with summers, but after almost ten years, I'm used to them, even though I don't really like them. I'm a cool weather person. June and July are the hottest months, with days in the 100's up to 115, and nights in the upper 80's. Lots of people don't use AC at night, but I do. I try and keep the house at an even 75 day and night. The first 100 degree day is usually early June, and the last 100 degree day is usually in September, but it can get to 100 in October. Nights in the summers are mostly in the 80's. Dec-Feb are the coolest months, with temperatures in the 50's and 60's. Nights average in the 40's. A year ago today we had 4" of snow. (I loved it!) We get winter rains in those months, and then it's dry until the monsoon season starting in June. The fall is dry as well. Last year we didn't have a monsoon season after a really cool, wet winter and spring, but that's not the norm.

Oro Valley is growing quickly. Over 500 new homes are being built in the Rancho Vistoso area and it's spreading mostly north and west. There's talk of the town annexing more land to the west and northwest and with several companies coming to town, there's a need for them. There are also several senior living facilities/assisted living, and a couple more are under construction. I think the population increase (full time residents) will increase by 10,000 in the next five years. We always have a population swell in the winters (Jan-May) from snowbirds; predominately from the mid-west (IN, WI, IL, MN, MI) and from CO, WA and OR.

The bees are active from March-October. I have seen them flying in a swarm which is kind of neat, and I've seen the swarm on the side of a house maybe 3 times in 10 years. There will be stories on the news of someone being killed by the bees, once a year or so, and stories of attacks 5-10 times a summer, usually by someone hiking and disturbing a nest, or finding one in their yard and disturbing it. Here's an article about them, but it makes it sound more dire than they really are. Still, good tips about the bees. I don't worry about them at all. If you know to call a beekeeper when you see a swarm, and to not disturb it, you'll be okay. Be aware when hiking, and if you hear a buzzing sound from inside a grill, shed or other object, don't investigate, call a removal expert.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...ips/430436002/

Old 02-22-2020, 05:40 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,964,642 times
"We do like to go for nightly walks around the neighborhood"...bees are not out foraging from dusk to dawn, they are in the hive. I hiked over the whole area of the Oracle State Park one summer, altho' they must have been there working the flowers, I never saw a bee.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-22-2020, 09:04 PM

4,275 posts, read 2,488,901 times
I live in so cal and was just in OV last weekend. We went hiking on the honey bee trail. I didn’t see any bees but a cholla cactus got me I had no idea those cactus can jump! Otherwise I loved OV and will move there this summer. To me it’s a hidden gem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson