U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:58 PM

20,325 posts, read 23,913,008 times

Advertisements

I hear that if the gathering is more than 10 people you can be cited, a misdemeanor. And I hear otherwise it's 3.

There's a group of 6 of us who usually meet at our Activity Building (now closed at 3pm) for card/board games on Sunday's and Friday's. A gathering of 6 is too many?

Does anybody see the irony in it? You can mingle with people at the grocery store, stand in line with any number of people waiting to be checked out and you can ride the city buses, mingling with people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 11:13 PM

I just googled Corona virus social gathering guidelines, and potential citations are only for gatherings of 10 or more.

So! 6 of us will gather Fri. night on my deck for card/board games. We 6 have been meeting for close to a year at our community center which is now closed.

And, please, no lectures!

Old 04-01-2020, 11:20 PM

3,775 posts, read 6,333,154 times
As someone who experienced the onset in Santa Clara County, I can tell you that even after the lockdown, all of Kaiser San Jose was filled with Covid patients, and we locked down quick because at one point, we looked like we were going to be Wuhan West.

I'm not going to lecture you, but you have no idea what you're in for if everyone thinks similarly.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:11 AM

491 posts, read 665,791 times
Can you play online? Is there some way of doing that? You really need to pay attention to what is going on. Sorry but I am lecturing. This is serious ****.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:38 AM

324 posts, read 177,840 times
I'm going to jump in here and say you're playing with a loaded gun. Not just for yourselves, but your community.

The choir practice in Washington is a template for you. None of its 56 members were sick. They all social distanced. They all used hand sanitizer. Within days, half the group was diagnosed with COVID-19. Two members have died. The takeaway is the scientists are now thinking the virus is airborne. Strong exhaling (singing, yelling, laughing, etc) might be enough to transmit it. Last month there was a bridge tournament in Tucson and someone tested positive.

At the very least, postpone your card and board games for another month as more data comes in.

The choir practice has been written about extensively, but here is an article if you haven't read it:

https://www.postregister.com/coronav...a9c70a9a9.html

Last edited by wildflowers27; 04-02-2020 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-02-2020, 11:56 AM

320 posts, read 226,405 times
People can have the virus WITHOUT any symptoms. So you have no way of knowing if some is there that has the virus.

Instead of board games, you are actually playing Russian Roulette.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:07 PM

Unless there's 100% compliance, uniform regulations in every state, it's an exercise in futility. Those in states with the loosest restriction, like the Bible Belt, they come visit a state with stricter restrictions and then what?

In our group are mature, intelligent senior adults, more than aware of the risks, but none of us are sheep that can utter Baa! Baa!

It's like this, like I told a resident here, if we don't meet, there'll be 6 less people in this mobile home park as we're contemplating a group suicide, so given that, aren't our meetings considered essential to saving 6 lives?

Endangering someone? A big whodunnit case, as it can take 14 days for it to surface, so you scratch your head and think: Where have I all been in the last 14 days where I could have been effected? A grocery store? A trip to Home Depot? A stop at McDonald's? Talking to a neighbor? From my spouse who's been doing the shopping?

We're not all cut out of the same cloth, some can handle the lockdown, others can't. Think of yourself cooped up in a 400SF studio apartment (I lived in one once) in NYC! Think about that for a minute! There better not be a balcony attached to it on the 20th floor! And there better not be a pedestrian walking below as the person jumps!

Wait for a month, and then, potentially, wait for another month and another month????????

Russian Roulete? Isn't that what car owners do every time they put the key into the ignition of their cars?

Last edited by tijlover; 04-02-2020 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-02-2020, 08:34 PM

3,775 posts, read 6,333,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Unless there's 100% compliance, uniform regulations in every state, it's an exercise in futility. Those in states with the loosest restriction, like the Bible Belt, they come visit a state with stricter restrictions and then what?

In our group are mature, intelligent senior adults, more than aware of the risks, but none of us are sheep that can utter Baa! Baa!

It's like this, like I told a resident here, if we don't meet, there'll be 6 less people in this mobile home park as we're contemplating a group suicide, so given that, aren't our meetings considered essential to saving 6 lives?

Endangering someone? A big whodunnit case, as it can take 14 days for it to surface, so you scratch your head and think: Where have I all been in the last 14 days where I could have been effected? A grocery store? A trip to Home Depot? A stop at McDonald's? Talking to a neighbor? From my spouse who's been doing the shopping?

We're not all cut out of the same cloth, some can handle the lockdown, others can't. Think of yourself cooped up in a 400SF studio apartment (I lived in one once) in NYC! Think about that for a minute! There better not be a balcony attached to it on the 20th floor! And there better not be a pedestrian walking below as the person jumps!

Wait for a month, and then, potentially, wait for another month and another month????????

Russian Roulete? Isn't that what car owners do every time they put the key into the ignition of their cars?
Wow. You are so far out there, I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to reel you in.

If all 6 of you want to start a commune and stop existing in society, then who can tell you what is or isn't good for society? But if you're going to participate in society and be socially irresponsible, then it's just a terrible shame.

Who says you can't go for walks? I go on two per day with my 2-year old daughter. We've gone hiking to places we've never gone to before and we're reading and studying way more. It's therapeutic for some.

Keep in touch with people. Zoom chat with them. Facetime. Go for a nature hike and keep socially distancing. It doesn't work if people like you all over the world literally have no consideration. Again, if that's who you are, why not become a recluse full-time? That way you don't have to participate in society. Unless you're old enough to have been around in 1918, this is probably the first time in your whole life that you've been inconvenienced by an actual pandemic. And no, it's not that it's so tremendously scary on its surface... but if you end up in a city with its hospitals overrun, it's like I said, you have no idea what that's like. It is not pretty and that mortality rate is no longer going to be 2-3%.

And yes, this will last for months. Be a responsible adult.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:17 AM

4,915 posts, read 7,634,773 times
At this point, most people recognize that social distancing is imperative. It's not just you that you need to protect, you need to protect those you come in contact with. You can be asymptomatic for up to 2 weeks, never actually get the virus yourself, but still pass it on. How would you feel if you or one of your friends was carrying the virus not knowing it, and someone in your group got sick and God forbid, died? Is your card game that important that you're literally risking your life to get together and play? I would hope not...As an example, my book club has 10-15 women and we usually meet in the Club House of one member's condo complex. We meet every two weeks. We cancelled on the 25th, and next week, we're going to have a conference Skype call as our meeting. We'll still be able to chat, discuss the book, laugh and have fun, but in the safety of our own homes. There are safe alternatives for you and your friends to explore. Good luck, and stay healthy and safe.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:20 AM

My guru Rajneesh: All arguments are juvenile, 2 people with their minds already made up, bashing their heads against each other. But some people enjoy going back to their teenage years and enjoy some juvenility now and then.

I should have known better than to put: No lectures!

I was involved with someone with AIDS for 10 years, never practiced safe sex, and I assumed, all along, I'd die with him or do a murder-suicide at the end. Do you know how many times I heard it: You're at risk, get tested. And? I didn't get tested until 2 years after he died. Test: negative. There are those who are immune from getting AIDS, just like any other disease.

I loved to travel to 3rd world countries, over the years, and the panickies: You need to get your shots first, and you may get on one of those crowded chicken buses with someone having TB. Too dangerous! A number of trips to 3rd world countries, and India, and I never got sick once, even eating street food in India.

And, yes, my luck may run out some day, and then I won't be around for the next virus, which, you can bet on it, is on its way already.

Our group has discussed every angle of this and we're not deterred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson