U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:46 AM

31 posts, read 171,799 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into a military posting in Tucson amongst other places.

We like to walk our dogs, ride our mountain bikes and motorbikes, have a healthy amount to spend on a house and are fairly liberal, open-minded non-judgemental people in our late 30s with no children (the dogs are our kids).

We love scenery, not too bothered by shops etc but a few nice good quality restaurants and bars would be a plus.

My question is will we like living in Tucson?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:55 AM

22 posts, read 113,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxer View Post
My husband and I are looking into a military posting in Tucson amongst other places.

We like to walk our dogs, ride our mountain bikes and motorbikes, have a healthy amount to spend on a house and are fairly liberal, open-minded non-judgemental people in our late 30s with no children (the dogs are our kids).

We love scenery, not too bothered by shops etc but a few nice good quality restaurants and bars would be a plus.

I would not move down here again, but I do not care for the outdoors and I am not married...

Old 04-27-2008, 12:10 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,160,999 times
I lived there and had to move away for work reasons. I absolutely LOVED Tucson. We are very into the outdoors--hiking, biking, running, etc. Even on the hottest day you can still run early in the morning and sit out in the evening. Can't say you can do that year-round in most places!

I thought it was a really beautiful place--mountain vistas everywhere, and I find the desert a really pretty place as well.

I would move back in a second if I could.

My experience there was that people either loved or hated Tucson--there wasn't much of a middle ground. So I'd definitely suggest checking it out. I worked w/ someone who moved there the same time I did. He thought it was just a dirt-filled wasteland and his wife was terrified of snakes to the point it affected her desire to even go for a walk. I totally understand that view, but to me it was not this at all. Spend a bit of time and figure out which way you see it.......if it's a good "fit" for you, you'll love it

Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Coming from England the lack of greenery worries me, I guess afterall it is the desert. My husband says I would aclimatize to the heat.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:15 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,160,999 times
Well....I wouldn't necessarily count on aclimatizing to the heat. If you love heat, you'll clearly love the weather in Tucson. If you much prefer cold weather, I tend to think that will always be true.

I moved very far North, thinking I'd aclimatize to the cold (even though I've loved heat my entire life). I hated it hated it hated it. I lived there 3 years and not a month went by that I didn't think about what a mistake it was.

I am not from the desert (lived in England quite a while actually) and I loved it from day one. No adjustment necessary for me. But I have seen it go the other way too so don't ignore instinct!

Any chance you can visit first?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:10 PM

17 posts, read 76,121 times
Hi Bexxer, I saw that you have posted this same question to both the Tucson and Anchorage forums, so since I am a native Tucsonan that happens to be currently living in Anchorage let me see if I can help you in comparing the two places.

Tucson - great if you love hiking, biking, walking the dogs (there are designated dog parks where they can run without a leash), sunny nearly 360 days a year. You can literally be outside year round. It can be a bit dusty and dry, but that doesn't mean that we don't have trees/bushes/flowers. Beautiful mountains completely surround Tucson since it is in a valley. You can go skiing on Mt. Lemmon during the winter (about 45 minutes to drive.) Housing, is reasonable and the prices of groceries a very cheap compared to other places around the U.S.

Anchorage - great for hiking, biking. There is a fantastic trail systems that goes through the entire town. Please be careful with your dogs. We have lots of big wildlife here in Alaska. Unfortunately black bears and moose do come into some of the neighborhoods, I am not trying to scare you away, but I just want you to be aware that it is an issue. If you like cloudy, rainy weather than Anchorage is the place for you. It is not as cold or snowy as interior Alaska since it is right on the water. But if you have active dogs remember that you will need to be walking them even when the weather is cold/snowy/muddy (which is basically about 7 months out of the year). Housing is very expensive here. For a 2bd/2ba townhouse with no yard you are looking at about $200,000 US. Groceries are also very high here, you have to remember that essentially everything has to be shipped in from the lower 48 so that does drive prices up. However, since you will have access to base you should be able to get things cheaper at the BX.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,392,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWildcat View Post
Hi Bexxer, I saw that you have posted this same question to both the Tucson and Anchorage forums, so since I am a native Tucsonan that happens to be currently living in Anchorage let me see if I can help you in comparing the two places.
Wow, that's quite the contrast!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM

9,526 posts, read 28,971,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxer View Post
Simple "one word" answer, Bexxer . . . ABSOLUTELY.

Although Tucson is not perfect, it is as close as any city or town I've experienced.

Good Luck

Old 04-27-2008, 09:02 PM

Wildcat your a diamond, thanks for the info. Its helped a lot. We are currently considering a number of places stateside. We have for the most part ruled out Alaska, mainly because it wouldnt be very conducive to dog walking off leads.

We still like the idea of Colorado Springs and Tucson is my husbands favourite choice. He used to spend his summers there with his step-family when a child and has fabulous memories of it.

I still worry it will be too hot for me. I like the sun and I like it when its dry so I can ride my motorcycle but I don't like to be baked, I find it oppressive.

Do a lot of people hibernate away from the midday heat indoors and is air conditioning expensive to run? Currently its expensive to heat our homes in the UK with the cost of gas going up by the month and the extended winter temperatures but electricity can't be cheap either.

I don't mind the idea of "siestas" all day and being more active in the evenings, but not all year round surely? How many months are we talking about having temperatures above 25'c say?

One big draw seems to be house prices, but what if global warming becomes a long term problem and water shortages continue in the same way?

Maybe we'll be safer visiting Tucson and seeing what its like for ourselves.

We have a few other options like Travis, NorCal (seems perfect weather but a little overcrowded, my husband spent a lot of time here so we have visited and know people there, real est. expensive), Northern Carolina (seems a little too conservative maybe? I lived in Richmond, VA for a year in 95 and found it a little too conservative) and Washington State there are 2 bases near Seattle (beautiful but a bit too rainy perhaps?).

I will check these out if Tucson and Colorado Springs don't come up trumps.

As I say my hubby wants Tucson but if ends up deploying for 6 months of the year it'll be me having to live with the consequences, and the bugs and the heat and the dust apparently too!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 PM

17 posts, read 76,121 times
Here is a link that gives the average temps for Tucson by the month, the degrees are listed in farenheit, but you also have to keep in mind that there is no humidity in Tucson so it doesn't feel as hot as it could.

Tucson Information - Hotels and Resorts

I would say that the best months in Tucson are October-April. It is advisable not to do strenuous activities outside during the middle of the day in the summer because you can easily become dehydrated. However, the high temp that you see listed is going to only last for a couple of hours in the middle of the day, then the great thing about Tucson is that the low dips back down another 20-30 degrees and really cools off nicely.

As for the cost of running air conditioning, well I honestly don't know. For the 26 years that I lived in Tucson I had an evaporative cooler and ceiling fans and it never cost very much.

As for bugs and dust, well if you live in an established neighborhood then these really shouldn't be a problem. I lived in neighborhoods that were built in the 1970s and the 1950s and I never had a problem with scorpions, bugs or dust.

If you have the opportunity to visit Tucson that would be ideal, but I realize that might not be feasable. Good luck making your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson