U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2020, 01:10 PM

315 posts, read 145,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thanks for posting. Are there areas on Tucson that you would avoid for renting or buying? It's good to hear first hand experiences from people who moved to the area from other locations.
It depends on why you are coming. To work or Retire? I haven't been here that long, but can give you some advice on nicer places. And I'm sure others will give their opinions.

Retirement communities:

Green Valley
Quail Creek (in Sahuarita)
Saddlebrook or Saddlebrook Ranch (Oro Valley area)

All family:

Rancho Sahuarita (pools, lake, trails, great family activities)
Oro Valley (Probably one of the nicest area's in Tucson area)
Sabino Canyon or anywhere along the Catalina Mountains
Vail
Marana (Gladden Farms)

If you're working, it depends on what part of town you need to be on. Pull up a map of Tucson and you can see were these places are at in conjunction to Tucson proper.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 01:29 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,663,402 times
You do realize that people leave Tucson for the summer if they can, right? It's been in the 100s lately; highest I've seen so far is 108. But it's a dry heat...

Of course, people leaving means there are more rentals available, and probably cheaper. Electric rates are pretty reasonable here, so running the AC isn't as expensive as some places.

If you don't like sky noise, stay well away from the airport and military base. We're about six miles from the airport, even further from the airbase, and get some jet noise, occasionally rattle-the-windows loud.

The city of South Tucson looks low income, and some people say it's dangerous.
I've only driven through, so don't know if that's true.

Search this forum for "crime" and you'll see a lot of info and opinions.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:25 PM

96 posts, read 268,268 times
For Tucson area you can access a reference website that has tons of links and info.
Has information about SaddleBrooke specifically and in more details.
The original SaddleBrooke ( it is different from Saddlebrooke Ranch) has many advantages and is a great community with tons of amenities.

But the links to all activities in and around Tucson are very useful if researching moving to Tucson.
See link for more.

https://groups.io/g/Saddlebrooke-community-info

Old 06-09-2020, 03:10 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,148,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Do you have an idea of where you'll be working? It's pretty spread out here and nothing worse than a 45 minute commute on Ina or River Road to get from one side of town to the other.
I'm retired, and moving there to enjoy the beautiful state of Arizona and the sunshine! Michigan has an average of about 180 days of sun per year. I'm done with the gloomy weather! LOL

All done with working. I have been looking around online at the northern part of the city.

Last edited by xz2y; 06-09-2020 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-09-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You do realize that people leave Tucson for the summer if they can, right? It's been in the 100s lately; highest I've seen so far is 108. But it's a dry heat...

Of course, people leaving means there are more rentals available, and probably cheaper. Electric rates are pretty reasonable here, so running the AC isn't as expensive as some places.

If you don't like sky noise, stay well away from the airport and military base. We're about six miles from the airport, even further from the airbase, and get some jet noise, occasionally rattle-the-windows loud.

The city of South Tucson looks low income, and some people say it's dangerous.
I've only driven through, so don't know if that's true.

Search this forum for "crime" and you'll see a lot of info and opinions.
LOL Today is our first day of reaching 90 here in SE Michigan. Heading outside now to soak some of it up! Definitely not a dry heat here.........plenty of year-round humidity and my arthritis doesn't like humidity or cold weather. LOL

Good to hear that electricity rates aren't too bad. Michigan electricity rates are high, along with other things like car insurance, the highest in the country.

Yup, I'm aware people leave in the summer, but I won't get out there for several months, and with the virus issues, things won't be "normal" for probably another year. Just a guess.

Sky noise: I live next to a large university hospital with a helicopter ambulance.......I'd had my fill of "sky noise" at all hours of the day and night. LOL I would definitely want to avoid being in the flight path of a military base in Tucson.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddd View Post
For Tucson area you can access a reference website that has tons of links and info.
Has information about SaddleBrooke specifically and in more details.
The original SaddleBrooke ( it is different from Saddlebrooke Ranch) has many advantages and is a great community with tons of amenities.

But the links to all activities in and around Tucson are very useful if researching moving to Tucson.
See link for more.

https://groups.io/g/Saddlebrooke-community-info
Great info! Thanks! I'll check it out!

Old 06-10-2020, 07:57 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm retired, and moving there to enjoy the beautiful state of Arizona and the sunshine! Michigan has an average of about 180 days of sun per year. I'm done with the gloomy weather! LOL

All done with working. I have been looking around online at the northern part of the city.
I grew up in Detroit & Toledo, so completely understand your feelings on Michigan.

We live in a county island off of Thornydale, perfect location for us. Ten minutes to all the shopping off of Ina, ten minutes to all the shopping in Oro Valley and ten minutes to the freeway when we need to go up to Phoenix.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:49 PM

4,275 posts, read 2,488,901 times
Quote:
I grew up in Detroit & Toledo, so completely understand your feelings on Michigan.

We live in a county island off of Thornydale, perfect location for us. Ten minutes to all the shopping off of Ina, ten minutes to all the shopping in Oro Valley and ten minutes to the freeway when we need to go up to Phoenix.
I was on Thorndale/ Tangerine last week and drove around a little. Going north on Thornydale I came upon a tunnel someone has carved into a big hill and put up a private property no trespassing sign. I’m dying to know what’s on the other side of that tunnel. Do you know?

Old 06-10-2020, 10:51 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I was on Thorndale/ Tangerine last week and drove around a little. Going north on Thornydale I came upon a tunnel someone has carved into a big hill and put up a private property no trespassing sign. I’m dying to know what’s on the other side of that tunnel. Do you know?
I've only driven as far as Moore Rd before turning off to go to my hiking trails. Heard about the tunnel, but have never seen it. Maybe use Google Earth to see what's back there?

Old 06-10-2020, 11:26 PM

4,275 posts, read 2,488,901 times
Quote:
I've only driven as far as Moore Rd before turning off to go to my hiking trails. Heard about the tunnel, but have never seen it. Maybe use Google Earth to see what's back there?
I’ll do that thanks. Tangerine is sure a pretty road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson