U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2020, 11:34 PM

16,215 posts, read 19,208,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Is it possible to move to Tucson this summer from out of state, given the governor's executive orders?

I'm asking since many states have limited travel or instituted 14 day quarantines for out-of-state travelers when they arrive into a state. Is Arizona imposing these kinds of restrictions?

If so, it would be impossible to relocate to Arizona at this time.

Meo92953- said she just drove to Minnesota from south of Tucson, without any problems.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/camp...l#post58328487
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 11:54 PM

1,857 posts, read 967,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dump1567 View Post
It depends on why you are coming. To work or Retire? I haven't been here that long, but can give you some advice on nicer places. And I'm sure others will give their opinions.

Retirement communities:

Green Valley
Quail Creek (in Sahuarita)
Saddlebrook or Saddlebrook Ranch (Oro Valley area)

All family:

Rancho Sahuarita (pools, lake, trails, great family activities)
Oro Valley (Probably one of the nicest area's in Tucson area)
Sabino Canyon or anywhere along the Catalina Mountains
Vail
Marana (Gladden Farms)

If you're working, it depends on what part of town you need to be on. Pull up a map of Tucson and you can see were these places are at in conjunction to Tucson proper.
This is a good list. Just watch out for the Ohio State Buckeyes who consider Phoenix to be their 2nd winter home during bowl season if they are in town. They've been to AZ bowls a lot over the years - lol. But our UF Gators beat them down that one year when Meyer was coaching.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:20 AM

427 posts, read 533,353 times
Before coming down to check out the area, I would suggest you give serious thought to what kind of community to want to live in. A 55+ community? an HOA community? non HOA ? amenities ? If you can make that decision ahead of time you will make more efficient use of your time when you visit.
I KNEW I wanted to live in a 55+ community so both times I visited, the realtor only had to show me around several communities to see which one was most appealing. If I hadn't narrowed the search it would have taken more than 2 trips to find the right house. Good luck with your search !

Old 06-11-2020, 09:25 AM

315 posts, read 145,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
Before coming down to check out the area, I would suggest you give serious thought to what kind of community to want to live in. A 55+ community? an HOA community? non HOA ? amenities ? If you can make that decision ahead of time you will make more efficient use of your time when you visit.
I KNEW I wanted to live in a 55+ community so both times I visited, the realtor only had to show me around several communities to see which one was most appealing. If I hadn't narrowed the search it would have taken more than 2 trips to find the right house. Good luck with your search !
Good advice. And try to find a copy of the CC&R's if you go HOA. Some people move into these communities and are shocked to find they can't do all the things they wanted to do.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:16 AM

3,397 posts, read 8,540,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thanks for posting. Are there areas on Tucson that you would avoid for renting or buying? It's good to hear first hand experiences from people who moved to the area from other locations.
For a person who has not spent much time in Tucson, the best advice is to rent for 6 months or so until you know the area well and are sure you will like it here. The next step is to find a place that is relatively quiet and safe, without being too far out of the way. Avoid living near an interstate highway, railroad tracks or airport / air force base flight paths. Google maps is your friend. Craigslist will give you a rough idea of what is available and what the price range is.

I like the east side of Tucson, north of Broadway and east of Kolb Rd. It is far enough from the central part of Tucson that there are few homeless around and less crime. No railroad, interstate or airport noise. Very rare police helicopter flyovers. An occasional military plane heading for the air force base approach. Several good grocery stores nearby, and most other stores or services I need.

Another area I would consider is on the northwest side of Tucson, south of Oro Valley, north of Orange Grove, west of La Canada, and east of Shannon. Mostly quiet if you are not on a main street, and convenient to shopping, medical and services. Keep a few miles east of Interstate 10 and the RR tracks (which are parallel to I-10) to avoid noise.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:33 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Another area I would consider is on the northwest side of Tucson, south of Oro Valley, north of Orange Grove, west of La Canada, and east of Shannon. Mostly quiet if you are not on a main street, and convenient to shopping, medical and services. Keep a few miles east of Interstate 10 and the RR tracks (which are parallel to I-10) to avoid noise.
Sounds like where I live. Except I would extend that out to Thornydale.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:10 PM

16 posts, read 12,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I've only driven as far as Moore Rd before turning off to go to my hiking trails. Heard about the tunnel, but have never seen it. Maybe use Google Earth to see what's back there?
That is the Saguaro Ranch luxury community. You can drive through the tunnel, just can't get into the community, unless you are visiting, realtor, or live in the development. very beautiful area (along with Canyon Pass over the hill). Not a lot of homes in the area, the initial development went bankrupt in 2009. It was just recently picked up by another investment group. There were $1M lots back there before the bubble.

I was born and raised here in Tucson (since 70's). You either love it here, or hate it. If you're looking for an active community with lots to do (sports, nightlife, restaurants, options for lakes...) then Tucson is not your town. Tucson has, and always will, have a small town mentality, which I have never understood in all my years here. They want to be the anti-Phoenix and have a disdain for Phoenix, because of its big city roots, which includes NEVER having a freeway system (all surface streets). That would be to progressive for Tucson.

Its a retirement community with an influx of college kids in the fall. It is a good place to raise a family, but not a great place if your a single person under 40, just isn't.

A large number of the population is transient, coming from the mid-west, and lots now from California, because the cost of living is so reasonable.

I recently retired at a "relatively" younger age (why I have stayed), and my wife and I are now considering a move, not because we don't like Tucson, we just don't feel it fits the lifestyle we prefer, like Phoenix does.

One thing I will say for sure. The desert and surrounding areas are absolutely stunning. Hard to beat the natural beauty, especially in areas like Pima Canyon, Sabino Canyon, Tortillitas, and the Pusch ridge area.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:19 AM

96 posts, read 268,268 times
If you want a lot of information about Tucson and the beautiful northwest part of the area.
Saddlebrooke (not saddlebrooke ranch) and Oro Valley area. It is great area. Lots of folks moving in right now. Check this link.
Although it is set up for the main Saddlebrooke community and new or interested residents, has surrounding area attractions also. Go to the WIKI section on left and open to see multitudes of clickable links.

https://groups.io/g/Saddlebrooke-community-info/topics

https://groups.io/g/Saddlebrooke-community-info/topics

Old 07-07-2020, 07:41 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,148,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
This is a good list. Just watch out for the Ohio State Buckeyes who consider Phoenix to be their 2nd winter home during bowl season if they are in town. They've been to AZ bowls a lot over the years - lol. But our UF Gators beat them down that one year when Meyer was coaching.
LOL I'll watch out for those Buckeyes! Good to know that they consider Phoenix to be their 2nd winter home during bowl season. I think AZ has 1 license plate, in the back of the car, like MI. I have a UMichigan sports plate on the front of my car, so I might have to reconsider that front plate! LOL

Old 07-07-2020, 07:47 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,148,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
For a person who has not spent much time in Tucson, the best advice is to rent for 6 months or so until you know the area well and are sure you will like it here. The next step is to find a place that is relatively quiet and safe, without being too far out of the way. Avoid living near an interstate highway, railroad tracks or airport / air force base flight paths. Google maps is your friend. Craigslist will give you a rough idea of what is available and what the price range is.

I like the east side of Tucson, north of Broadway and east of Kolb Rd. It is far enough from the central part of Tucson that there are few homeless around and less crime. No railroad, interstate or airport noise. Very rare police helicopter flyovers. An occasional military plane heading for the air force base approach. Several good grocery stores nearby, and most other stores or services I need.

Excellent post. I definitely plan on renting first to check things out. It's not likely I can move until late winter at the earliest, and a lot can change between now and then re: covid and other uncertainties. Hopefully, things will be settling down and an interstate move won't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson