U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 08:57 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
LOL I'll watch out for those Buckeyes! Good to know that they consider Phoenix to be their 2nd winter home during bowl season. I think AZ has 1 license plate, in the back of the car, like MI. I have a UMichigan sports plate on the front of my car, so I might have to reconsider that front plate! LOL
Outside of a few fanatical friends, I've found most people in AZ don't care about college sports. On weekends they are too busy golfing, hiking, riding motorcycles, boating and more to worry about their teams.

Nothing at all like it was when I was growing up on the OH/MI border or living in Pennsylvania while my ex-wife was going to grad school at PSU.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 09:03 AM

11,583 posts, read 8,294,397 times
Quote:
LOL I'll watch out for those Buckeyes! Good to know that they consider Phoenix to be their 2nd winter home during bowl season. I think AZ has 1 license plate, in the back of the car, like MI. I have a UMichigan sports plate on the front of my car, so I might have to reconsider that front plate! LOL
This is kind of funny but when I lived in Tucson in the decade of the '80s...sporting a flag in your yard was kind of en vogue. Funny thing was it never really caught on for Arizona except for people who had moved there from Big 10 country. I could drive through parts of town on a Saturday morning and see all kinds of Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, and of course Notre Dame flags in Tucson.

The one thing that was interesting back then though is that even if somebody was a fan of another team, their secondary team was the Wildcats and we presented a united front against the Sun Devils. That was one thing about that rivalry is that it was our Tucson and our Cats against Phoenix and "their" school.

To this day I still try to watch that game and cheer hard for the Wildcats.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:37 AM

4 posts, read 2,142 times
Quote:
Is it possible to move to Tucson this summer from out of state, given the governor's executive orders?

I'm asking since many states have limited travel or instituted 14 day quarantines for out-of-state travelers when they arrive into a state. Is Arizona imposing these kinds of restrictions?

If so, it would be impossible to relocate to Arizona at this time.
Tucson is a border town and the summers are awful - If you do move there have the sense to move
away if you notice all the cons and not enough pro's

4th ave is liberal the rest is a dump and only decent outside of tucson like oro valley

Old 07-09-2020, 05:47 AM

4 posts, read 2,142 times
Default cave creek, AZ

Quote:
I'm retired, and moving there to enjoy the beautiful state of Arizona and the sunshine! Michigan has an average of about 180 days of sun per year. I'm done with the gloomy weather! LOL

All done with working. I have been looking around online at the northern part of the city.
cave creek depending on your budget

Old 07-09-2020, 12:17 PM

4,275 posts, read 2,488,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by django81 View Post
Tucson is a border town and the summers are awful - If you do move there have the sense to move
away if you notice all the cons and not enough pro's

4th ave is liberal the rest is a dump and only decent outside of tucson like oro valley
I moved to Oro Valley 2 months ago. I wanted to get out of.Ca fast so am renting a apt here for a year and checking out different areas to decide where I want to settle down. I agree with your opinion of Tucson. I don’t like any area of Tucson except Oro Valley. Tucson is really old and run down which is a shame because with the right development and infrastructure it could be a really nice city and a lot bigger tourist destination. The desert landscape here is gorgeous. Oro Valley is really nice and love the mountains but it’s a little small and slow for me so next spring will most likely be relocating elsewhere maybe Idaho. All that said Az is a lot better then Ca and def won’t be going back there.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:58 PM

11,583 posts, read 8,294,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Oro Valley is really nice and love the mountains but it’s a little small and slow for me so next spring will most likely be relocating elsewhere maybe Idaho.
I get that Tucson and suburban Tucson may be too small and slow but where exactly in Idaho can you go that is "bigger" and "faster"?

Old 07-09-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I get that Tucson and suburban Tucson may be too small and slow but where exactly in Idaho can you go that is "bigger" and "faster"?
Tucson’s not too small Oro Valley is a little small for me. I’d be great if I was retired and liked golf also Covid has effected my stay here too. I’ve never been to Idaho I’m checking it out next month. I’ve only been here 2 months so keeping my mind open and seeing how the next 10 months go.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:33 PM

20 posts, read 16,448 times
OP: I've not read this entire thread in detail, so my comments may be redundant.

My experience as a NooB summarized below:

- Will you be full time in Tucson? Triple-digit heat for long periods is brutal and can test those prone to cabin fever. I love to get outside but much of July and August it is just too damn hot, even at 5 am. Be prepared. Those who can generally leave for the June, July, August, to mid-September.

-For a slow-paced retirement destination, the northwest is attractive. Work opportunities are very limited.

- As others have pointed out, the transportation/road grid is pretty lousy. If you have to travel a lot in the area, it will be stop and go on surface streets.

-The environment is gorgeous and great for an outdoorsy person for 9 months of the year. December and January can be "chilly" in the low to mid 60s for the daily highs.

Also, lots of good information on this channel, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmlO2YVeGM8&t=316s

Shout if you have any questions and good luck!

Old 07-09-2020, 10:35 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Tucson’s not too small Oro Valley is a little small for me. I’d be great if I was retired and liked golf also Covid has effected my stay here too. I’ve never been to Idaho I’m checking it out next month. I’ve only been here 2 months so keeping my mind open and seeing how the next 10 months go.
I've lived in Tucson, Phoenix and Boise over the past 10 years. The upshot to Boise is that it is the same size as Tucson, but because it's a state capital and has a large university it has the amenities of a big city. Think a hybrid of Denver, Seattle and Portland. When I moved to Boise, one of my friends made the comment that it's really really hot for 6 weeks, really really cold for 6 weeks and the rest of the year isn't that bad.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I've lived in Tucson, Phoenix and Boise over the past 10 years. The upshot to Boise is that it is the same size as Tucson, but because it's a state capital and has a large university it has the amenities of a big city. Think a hybrid of Denver, Seattle and Portland. When I moved to Boise, one of my friends made the comment that it's really really hot for 6 weeks, really really cold for 6 weeks and the rest of the year isn't that bad.
I’m really looking forward to checking out Idaho. The longer I’m in OV the more I realize this isn’t the place for me long term. I can see how I’d be heaven for a retired person though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson