U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 05:07 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I’m really looking forward to checking out Idaho. The longer I’m in OV the more I realize this isn’t the place for me long term. I can see how I’d be heaven for a retired person though.
Don't know how it is now, I left 8 years ago and Boise has grown a lot. But the only big negative about Boise is that they have a less severe version of the "Seattle Freeze". The natives are very, very friendly but will never make friends with you. The 6 years I was there I only made friends with one born & raised native Idahoan. The other friends I made were with transplants.

Plus it was very tough for a non-native to find a job, the "good ol' boy" network is pretty tight.

But overall if I had to pick one place to move back to after living in 6 states and 10 cities if I couldn't live in Tucson would be Boise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 01:27 PM

519 posts, read 1,076,803 times
Boise and Tucson so totally different; and Boise is blood red while Tucson is very blue live and let live.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:36 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,703,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Boise and Tucson so totally different; and Boise is blood red while Tucson is very blue live and let live.
Boise (city limits) is actually a blue city, similar to most of the largest cities in the red states. The city counsel and mayor are Dems, the mayor is actually very liberal. Most of the cities precincts voted for Clinton in the last presidential election.

Idaho as a whole is generally live and let live as well, even the most republican areas of the state.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 2,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Great info from all the posters! I'll probably be stuck in Michigan for a while, but once things simmer down, I'll be planning a trip to the Tucson area to look around. I appreciate all the suggestions!
But come during the summer, best Jun-Sept. to test if you can deal with 110+deg. F heat. Last week we had 115F. How about that?

Old 07-27-2020, 03:55 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,148,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Don't know how it is now, I left 8 years ago and Boise has grown a lot. But the only big negative about Boise is that they have a less severe version of the "Seattle Freeze". The natives are very, very friendly but will never make friends with you. The 6 years I was there I only made friends with one born & raised native Idahoan. The other friends I made were with transplants.

Plus it was very tough for a non-native to find a job, the "good ol' boy" network is pretty tight.

But overall if I had to pick one place to move back to after living in 6 states and 10 cities if I couldn't live in Tucson would be Boise.
I think your point about "Seattle Freeze" and various versions of it in other places is almost true anywhere. When I moved to Maine a few years ago for 2 years, I had the exact same experience. Locals were all quite "nice" and friendly, but I made friends with other transplants. Same experience in Minnesota.

I think in general it's hard to break through the "locals" networks for real friendships. Other transplants are more welcoming and open, at least in my experience.

I'm retired, so not interested in work, but I'm sure the "ol' boy" network is alive and well in Idaho, as well as in many other cities and states. Here is Michigan, it's the same thing. Some locals are threatened by "outsiders" in terms of the workplace, even though many people who relocate for jobs aren't looking to shake things up. They're moving for a better opportunity, or family, or better weather, etc.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:02 PM

Question for residents of Tucson: Are people still moving into the city and surrounding areas from out-of-state these days?

I'm asking since the covid issues around here seem to be keeping many people "in place," not necessarily due to state lockdowns, but due to the hassles of finding a new place, moving logistics, etc, all of which are impacted by covid.

For example, in Michigan, the secretary of state offices (DMV) are only open now for very limited transactions. Everything else has to be done online, and in some cases by mailing in forms. I have one friend who moved locally in June and sent in the proper paper forms to change his address (couldn't be done online), and still hasn't received the verification of the change of address notification 6 weeks later.

Last edited by xz2y; 07-27-2020 at 04:13 PM..

Old 07-27-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Question for residents of Tucson: Are people still moving into the city and surrounding areas from out-of-state these days?
Purely anecdotal on my part. Currently assisting a family member shop for a property and our real estate agent is one of the few full timers that makes good money selling homes. Plus is a long term resident of Tucson and has known our family for decades. She knows the market very well and I trust her assessment. What she told me is that the majority of the successful (this is the key) buyers in the Tucson market that she is working with right now are predominantly from out of state.

Housing is tight right now. A normal summer has about 7000 active listings in the Tucson area and currently the MLS is sitting at just over 2000 active listings.

Takes about a week in my subdivision to see the "For Sale" sign change to "Offer Pending".

Old 07-27-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Purely anecdotal on my part. Currently assisting a family member shop for a property and our real estate agent is one of the few full timers that makes good money selling homes. Plus is a long term resident of Tucson and has known our family for decades. She knows the market very well and I trust her assessment. What she told me is that the majority of the successful (this is the key) buyers in the Tucson market that she is working with right now are predominantly from out of state.

Housing is tight right now. A normal summer has about 7000 active listings in the Tucson area and currently the MLS is sitting at just over 2000 active listings.

Takes about a week in my subdivision to see the "For Sale" sign change to "Offer Pending".
Good info. I would be renting first anyway, but I wonder if "moving" from out-of-state has slowed down in general, in light of covid.

Yes, I would imagine real estate/housing is tight if more people are staying put and not putting their homes up for sale.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Good info. I would be renting first anyway, but I wonder if "moving" from out-of-state has slowed down in general, in light of covid.

Yes, I would imagine real estate/housing is tight if more people are staying put and not putting their homes up for sale.
Just my take, but people are figuring out with Covid that they can work remote from anywhere in many cases. So why live in Ohio or Michigan when your employer doesn't care if you live in Arizona or Florida? Seeing a lot of new people joining my online hiking/running/outdoor groups who just moved to town and looking for places to go.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:57 AM

3,397 posts, read 8,540,436 times
Quote:

I agree with grmi from what I see around town. I pedal my bike 4 times a week on different 35 mile routes, and pass through many neighborhoods at 12-13 mph. One thing for sure is a scarcity of For Sale real estate signs. Summer is normally a bit slow for real estate, but this year is especially slow, for pretty obvious reasons. That may be sustaining the asking prices.

I still see a lot of new residential construction on the east and southeast perimeter of Tucson, especially around Vail. Most projects have been in the works for years, but I still see some that are just breaking ground (site grading). There is a new tract on land a developer must have bought cheap, wedged between I-10 and the main east-west railroad tracks near the Alvernon exit - worst possible location for anyone wanting a quiet place to live.

Still plenty of new construction on the northwest side around Oro Valley, Marana and Dove Mountain. I was in Sahuarita (south of Tucson) a few days ago, and no shortage of new homes there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson