Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 07:33 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times

Advertisements

Nope, they can’t put out that fire UNTIL WEATHER CONDITIONS change.

This is not Hollywood, it is real life. The energy release on moving wild land fires is immense.

There is no way to put them out, UNTIL WEATHER CONDITIONS change.

On this and a host of other issues....the world doesn’t follow a Hollywood script or TV reporting.

Nope, you can’t decide that you don’t like a fire and want it put out an hour later.
Nope, you can’t decide that you don’t like a pandemic and want it to end tomorrow.

Yeah, I know that we put a man on the moon in 1969, but we can’t do that anymore. So the argument “if we can put a man on the moon, we can do......”

Just be happy that a corporation based in America has finally put a man in low earth orbit, after almost a decade of writing checks to the Russians.

Science is hard and requires an investment that we in the US have been unwilling to make in since 1990.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 09:18 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I was just out for a very early morning 35 mile bike ride. I left my east side apartment and headed south on Kolb past the air force base to Valencia, then west past the air museum and TUS airport to the Santa Cruz River bike path, then north to downtown and home via the University and 3rd Street. Overnight, the wind has been blowing lightly from the south, so there was no smoke visible from the south or east side of town. When I got close to downtown, I could see smoke on the west side of the Catalinas and hanging over Oro Valley area.

The one thing that might help the fire situation is if the wind blows the fire back towards areas that it has already burned. Then the fire might run out of fuel. Either way, nature is in charge of this situation more than any army of fire fighting crews or equipment.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:27 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Despite the damage, wild animals displaced, I must say, looking out at the mountains today, from Grant/Swan, there's a red exposed area running down the mountain which really looks attractive and colorful.

Having lived in Las Vegas for 22 years I grew to love the denuded mountains around that city, devoid of vegetation. What would you expect from 3-4 inches of precip. a year!

Old 06-14-2020, 03:40 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
I have friends east of Oracle in the La Reserve area who were on Set for a couple of days, and another friend near the Golder Ranch GO area.

Catalina Foothills area at Swan and Ina was at GO in the beginning, so it is moving north.

I'm far enough west that the smoke didn't get us, but you can see it lay down at night. The active burn areas are now further inland, so at night I can't see too much of the fire as I did the first several days, but you can see the smoke plumes so you know where the fire is.

DC-10's were coming overhead regularly Thursday and Friday, but their flight pattern is different today. Winds are sill brisk , humidity ,3% and the temperature is 105.

The Forest Service says they think they'll have the fire contained by June 25th. This is the worst weather possible in which to fight a wildfire.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:29 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I have friends east of Oracle in the La Reserve area who were on Set for a couple of days, and another friend near the Golder Ranch GO area.

Catalina Foothills area at Swan and Ina was at GO in the beginning, so it is moving north.

I'm far enough west that the smoke didn't get us, but you can see it lay down at night. The active burn areas are now further inland, so at night I can't see too much of the fire as I did the first several days, but you can see the smoke plumes so you know where the fire is.

DC-10's were coming overhead regularly Thursday and Friday, but their flight pattern is different today. Winds are sill brisk , humidity ,3% and the temperature is 105.

The Forest Service says they think they'll have the fire contained by June 25th. This is the worst weather possible in which to fight a wildfire.
I live at La Reserve and the apt complex is half empty. The fire seems pretty much stalled north of me. I wish it would rain

Old 06-14-2020, 09:11 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
The fire appears to have shifted and is heading up Romero Canyon. Which is bad because that is a straight shot up to Summerhaven. Looks like they have alerted residents of Summerhaven to be ready to bug out tonight.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:34 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Here's a map with Set areas marked
https://pimamaps.maps.arcgis.com/app...608f80dc3f346b

It looks like they have little to no control over it even after a week.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:21 AM

I thought the fire was contained, and then I see a fire path coming down the south side of the mountain last night. Those poor displaced animals!

Old 06-19-2020, 11:35 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I thought the fire was contained, and then I see a fire path coming down the south side of the mountain last night. Those poor displaced animals!
It's only 40% contained. Won't be out until the first wet monsoon storm hits would be my guess.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:12 AM

Horrors of horrors! Not until the monsoon season?

I talked to a neighbor who was here during that last fire and there was wildlife animals coming into the neighborhoods even as far away as Swan/Grant/Craycroft.

I can only imagine what it'll be like for those living in the Catalina Foothills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson